Anthony Gordon

Jack27

37 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

There should be no "untouchables" if we want to progress, just players we would only let go if an offer too good to refuse comes in or if their value is only going to go down (contract ending, player agitating for a move). 

I agree with this, but would add as long as we have an equally good player lined up to replace them.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

I agree with this, but would add as long as we have an equally good player lined up to replace them.

The only player on our books where I think that would be too much to ask is Isak, so if any one player would be untouchable it would be him. Still though, if a really big offer comes in I think we would have to consider it and accept we’re probably not going to get a player of quite similar ability to replace him, but it would allow us to strengthen the team as a whole.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

2 years left on his deal according to Douglas. If that is the case, I can see him going if Liverpool bid.

Yep, new contract or flogged sadly. We can’t be slow sellers given PSR. Might be painful but this is the shocking reality we have to work in until someone crushes the PSR farce.

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

2 years left on his deal according to Douglas. If that is the case, I can see him going if Liverpool bid.

I don't see a world where we outlay £45m + clauses on a three-and-a-half year deal. 

35 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Well sure, but they have more value if they have 3 as well :lol:

Point being I didn't notice when the expectation changed. 

It's a fair question. I suppose clubs like Real Madrid happily turning a top player's head then telling them to wait until their contract has expired has made clubs needing to sell to progress a little more anxious about letting it come to the final year of contract.

The other thing is PSR (once again). It's basically created a parallel economy. If you lose a player on a freebie, you don't just lose the money, you effectively lose the permission to replace them - it's catastrophic.

1 minute ago, 80 said:

The other thing is PSR (once again). It's basically created a parallel economy. If you lose a player on a freebie, you don't just lose the money, you effectively lose the permission to replace them - it's catastrophic.

PSR is absolutely turd, terrible for both football and the wider economy. As usual when such drastic rules are invoked very little thought goes into the wider implications of them. 

6 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

PSR is absolutely turd, terrible for both football and the wider economy. As usual when such drastic rules are invoked very little thought goes into the wider implications of them. 

Its this 3rd party sponsor deals that baffle's me, that could fix the cash flow problem overnight by injecting millions into football, the top6 insisted on this anti-Newcastle rule and its fucked to whole system.

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Why did we buy him for 45m and give him a contract like that? If he doesnt sign a new contract and nobody will buy him this window, we wont get much profit for him with one year left.

27 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Why did we buy him for 45m and give him a contract like that? If he doesnt sign a new contract and nobody will buy him this window, we wont get much profit for him with one year left.

Wouldn’t reflect very well on Staveley and Ashworth if they’ve fucked up with the contract and left us with no option but to sell him at this point. 

1 hour ago, Ben said:

Its this 3rd party sponsor deals that baffle's me, that could fix the cash flow problem overnight by injecting millions into football, the top6 insisted on this anti-Newcastle rule and its fucked to whole system.

Can’t have just been the top 6 who voted for it. 

3 hours ago, Ben said:

It hasn’t fucked them, crucially.  The rest of the PL - (ie the daft cunts who voted for it) - definitely. 

The rest of the PL don’t want more super clubs. Every other club outside the top 6 has been relegated in the PL era (except Everton, and City have been relegated). And unless they get super owners - every other club can be relegated.  The other clubs don’t want that. They don’t want us or Villa to have rich owners that can spend.  

Because of FFP 14 clubs can get relegated.  They don’t want that number to keep decreasing. ATM we could do a Leicester and wage bill ourselves into a FFP hole and get relegated. Once we get our revenues £400m+ we’ll become untouchable even in dire times. They don’t want that to happen for us or to Villa or anyone else.