Anthony Gordon

Jack27

11 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

I think he's very similar to Almiron, personally, only more 2 footed and more direct and I'd day his link up play is better too.

Almiron is a top class player. Gordon has a higher ceiling than him, I think. Hoping it’s with us and peppered with silverware. 

19 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

I think he's very similar to Almiron, personally, only more 2 footed and more direct and I'd day his link up play is better too.

Almirons stamina is way better but hopefully Gordon will get there. Gordon is a more ‘natural’ footballer than Almiron.  Uses both feet, strikes it cleaner etc. but I see the similarities 

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Almiron is a top class player. Gordon has a higher ceiling than him, I think. Hoping it’s with us and peppered with silverware. 

I think so too. Think he's got a bit more footballing intelligence than Almiron, whereas Almiron is a bit more instinctive with his play, albeit from a position that's not natural to him.

Edited by Thumbheed

8 hours ago, Viana said:

I think he had a lot of baggage to get rid of and by the time that was done the season was over. 

Now he's had a summer of being super fit and Eddie Howe telling him what he wants on the pitch. Watch that first goal again to see what I mean. I think a few months ago he was hesitant, he was over thinking, and he just wasn't being instinctual. 

Fast forward to yesterday. He's alive to the rebound and recycles the ball. He's then straight on his bike running into space and wanting the ball. When he gets it he's throw in a first time cross rather than trying to beat a man or make it a better chance. It's all quick and decisive decision making. He could easily have had another assist minutes later but Tonali was denied. 

I read a book once called The Inner Game of Tennis. It talks about quietening the mind to let the body take control. That's what I see with Anthony Gordon right now. He won't be as decisive as this every week, and I'm sure he'll have obstacles to overcome, but whenever he's in that flow state he can be devastating. 

Good post. Don't think he'll have perfected control over himself this season either - he clearly takes negative feedback like missed shots badly - but he's on the right path.  Eventually he can be a very serious goalscorer too.

No one won more fouls (6) and no one won more duels (10) on Saturday, where Gordon’s work on and off the ball played a key role in our 5-1 win over Unai Emery’s Villa.

After a positive summer with England and impressive pre-season, it’s great to see our £40m man look full of confidence, energy and quality heading into this weekend’s trip to the Etihad.

Premier League's fastest five players from the opening weekend REVEALED

Anthony Gordon comes out on top

Anthony Gordon clocked in as the paciest player with a top speed of 22.14 miles per hour

Burnley centre-back Ameen Al-Dakhil managed to finish second

Wolves' Pedro Neto came third 

Anthony Elanga registered the fourth-highest top speed on his debut for Nottingham Forest. 

Kyle Walker was the fifth-fastest player

Gordon was some way ahead of his nearest competitor but still over 5mph behind the top speed ever recorded by Usain Bolt of close to 28mph. 

Edited by prefabtoon

9 minutes ago, prefabtoon said:

Premier League's fastest five players from the opening weekend REVEALED

Anthony Gordon comes out on top

Anthony Gordon clocked in as the paciest player with a top speed of 22.14 miles per hour

Burnley centre-back Ameen Al-Dakhil managed to finish second

Wolves' Pedro Neto came third 

Anthony Elanga registered the fourth-highest top speed on his debut for Nottingham Forest. 

Kyle Walker was the fifth-fastest player

Gordon was some way ahead of his nearest competitor but still over 5mph behind the top speed ever recorded by Usain Bolt of close to 28mph. 

Bolt is going down.

13 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

I’ve just realised :lol:

Is the Gordon song SUPPOSED to be to the tune of Voulez-Vous? If it is, man what a missed opportunity that we don’t sing in tune :lol:

It is and I do… not sure how you are singing it? 🙂

9 minutes ago, Cristov said:

AG is the Rooney we missed out on all them years ago. 

That's a big shout. Just because he's from Everton? Rooney was a world beater at 18 yrs old. Gordon is becoming a fantastic player but he's not at that level.

6 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

That's a big shout. Just because he's from Everton? Rooney was a world beater at 18 yrs old. Gordon is becoming a fantastic player but he's not at that level.

Rooney was unique as a young player. Gordon may just take a bit more time to mature. I think he can be truly great if/when he develops better end product. 

47 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Truthfully, just hoping more than anything. Just putting my neck on the line. watched the Amazon episode after a few wines and the way they were talking about him got me thinking about when we missed out on Rooney. Glad we managed to tie him down. 

I do think he’s got incredible potential, he’s already a very good player, he’s rapid and that’s something that a huge number of good players lack. His flexibility will mean he will always get minutes. Just don’t see any downside to him at all