Anthony Gordon

Jack27

I’m still on the fence about Gordon. I didn’t want to sign him at all but the lad deserves time. Surely people have to learn something from slagging Joelinton, Murphy, Longstaff etc. He’s still so young and I’m sure he’ll improve. 

Martin Hardy in the Times was also pointing out that he had a poor first half and we improved when he went off, plus that he's struggled in general. Also that he'd ignored Howe telling him to press higher up the field in that game, so it's not just Hope.

From my point of view, I thought he was OK. At times he looked like a bright spark in a team that wasn't playing well, and hitting the post is hardly a stick to beat him with. I do think that it's obvious he'll need time and coaching to fit in with the system.

As others have said, there seem to be raw materials to work with. My only concern is, with new recruits in the summer and potentially CL being well ahead of schedule, whether he'll get that time because he'll need to come on fast to be in /fit in with our first team.

When you hear Hope talk, its not as bad as is headlines suggest.

He's a hack at the end of the day. His job is to poke the bear. Dicks fuck pussies and assholes as the Team America saying went.

4 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

Yeah he should have hit the target but it's still a more difficult chance imo.

maybe... just ?  Bruno missed that and messed up for their goal.  If Gordon had done those two things he'd be getting destroyed right now.  

Bruno has learnt the right for the above to be ignored.  Gordon hasn't earnt the right to miss his chance yet.  

I think we naturally judge platers to different levels.

8 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

maybe... just ?  Bruno missed that and messed up for their goal.  If Gordon had done those two things he'd be getting destroyed right now.  

Bruno has learnt the right for the above to be ignored.  Gordon hasn't earnt the right to miss his chance yet.  

I think we naturally judge platers to different levels.

licking bbc GIF by Top Gear

I seem to remember Isak, in one of his early matches, missing a 1v1 which was arguably an easier chance and considerably more of a fluff. Gordon was involved in what big chances we managed to create in the first half, he'll have a lot to offer next season imo.

I'd keep starting him because that's exactly what he needs, like any player, to thrive. He's such a tidy player that loves to drive forward and I only want to see more of him. Assists, chances galore and hopefully the odd goal will follow soon enough

22 hours ago, Menace said:

I have no doubt he will become a 15/20 G/A winger in the next 18 months. We will look back and see it as good business, but of course our fan base expects him to hit the ground running from the first touch of the ball. Surprised Howe's tenure has not showed people that patience is required for some players.

This is more G/A than he’s got in his entire career. His age mate Olise, slapped that in a single Champo season as a teenager. 

21 hours ago, Conjo said:

Most of them were younger than Gordon is now is the only point I'm making. I'm not saying he won't turn into a good player for us, just that I think using his age as an excuse for him not hitting the ground running isn't a very good one.

Aye. At his age 90% of good players have shown something somewhere at a professional level that they can produce. 

21 hours ago, Ace said:

Outside of Kane who we can all agree is a bit special. The rest of those players mentioned were playing in the lower leagues. 

If Gordon was in the championship he’d look like a superstar. 

Honestly. I would have liked to have seen  that. It would’ve given me a lot more confidence in the lad.  Iirc he’s got something like 11 professional G/A.  

Agree with Kaka that he’s very inexperienced despite his age. He doesn’t have a track record. so for me, he doesn’t pass the eye test. And there is no evidence he can produce. So I’ve been worried about him from day one. I think we got him because he’s younger and they thought he had a higher ceiling than someone like Jack Harrison.  2 footed, tenacious wide man. 

While he is tenacious and quick, I don’t think he has great stamina and doesn’t know how to press effectively imo. There are some ingredients that I like, tenacious, quick, pass and move, uses both feet.  

Just on the stamina note, he'll still have an Everton hangover from that. His conditioning will have been at the same levels as the team we faced the other night, who had only one half of football in them before falling apart when trying to keep up with us.

Edited by 80

6 minutes ago, 80 said:

Just on the stamina note, he'll still have an Everton hangover from that. His conditioning will have been at the same levels as the team we faced the other night, who had only one half of football in them before falling apart when trying to keep up with us.

Good point.  I did read somewhere that he’s had stamina issues before.