Anthony Gordon: named NUFC Player of the Season (Official)

Jack27

He'll be next seasons, this seasons Longstaff.

Folk wanting him out of the team, will be saying how much of a miss he is when he's not playing and how he'd get in the England squad over x player(s)

I remember when Bellamy arrived. He couldn't hit the proverbial elephant up the arse with that handful of long grain rice...

Had all the pace but 1 on 1 .....hopeless. Bobby worked his magic and BINGO ...

Be patient! 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

This is why I asked the question.  People keep talking about the likes of Longstaff. Is he not meant to be more Botman than Longstaff?

You aren't going to get a homegrown player from a premier League side for a Botman price though are you? Longstaff was rumoured to be about 40/50m wasn't he when Man U were interested? McTominay probably a similar fee to Gordon. Toney would probably go for more than Isak. Rice will go for at least twice the price of Bruno etc. 

Oh compare with James Milner? The one who was widely regarded as fucking shite no end product get rid asap here when he was wearing the black and white shirt? Good memories. Good shout too. Better dig that topic out from the graveyard and see how ridiculous people were at that time.

and then read the match thread again. History really repeats

8 hours ago, TRon said:

I like him, he's got a lot going for him, but I'm not sure he strikes the ball particularly well. Pretty sure when I watched a youtube compilation when we signed him most of his goals were tap ins. And there weren't that many of them.

He’s not really got much of a back catalogue to savour (yet). Recall people saying the same about Miggy re ball striking, on the basis of many more seasons. Let’s hope I’m right 😉

2 hours ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

TBF the sale was universally praised as we got an unbelievable amount for him at the time.

Not by Keegan, and eight months later we were down.

Starting to think he was the right signing at the wrong time. He's not made any real tangible impact since we brought him in and if we were going to bring a body in last window it should have been someone who could impact centre mid or at least give the current options there a breather. 

You can see the glimpses and I'm convinced in 12-18 months or so he'll be showing how good he really is, but we probably could have got him in this summer and made a different signing this Jan if it was going to just be the one.

I don’t disagree but the policy seems to be that they have long term targets identified and are prepared to wait to get them.

Gordon was signed as he became available unexpectedly, if the identified midfielders became available in January we would have likely gone for them instead.

I don’t think it was ever Gordon over a midfielder.

Just now, Matt1892 said:

I don’t disagree but the policy seems to be that they have long term targets identified and are prepared to wait to get them.

Gordon was signed as he became available unexpectedly, if the identified midfielders became available in January we would have likely gone for them instead.

Eddie said they’d been interested in Anthony for some time. Not a knee jerk buy.

Pretty sure the plan was for Maddison to be the addition in January and it was expected to happen.

Seems like at some point Maddison decided to wait until summer to see if he had other options and we decided to bring in Gordon once his situation at Everton turned sour. He was probably on our radar as a long term target so it made sense to do the deal while they liked the value.

Part of me hopes we make CL, decide we like some other targets better than Maddison and he doesn't get a big move. Signs for like West Ham or something after we give them money for Rice.

Edited by Shak

Guest reefatoon
4 minutes ago, Shak said:

Pretty sure the plan was for Maddison to be the addition in January and it was expected to happen.

Seems like at some point Maddison decided to wait until summer to see if he had other options and we decided to bring in Gordon once his situation at Everton turned sour. He was probably on our radar as a long term target so it made sense to do the deal while they liked the value.

Part of me hopes we make CL, decide we like some other targets better than Maddison and he doesn't get a big move. Signs for like West Ham or something after we give them money for Rice.

Wow, that’s some serious Maddison hate  over your own made up scenario :lol:

27 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Yes, that's my understanding - it was opportunist and we might well have not bought anyone otherwise.

21 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Wow, that’s some serious Maddison hate  over your own made up scenario :lol:

I mean I mostly hope we sign him because he'd improve us a lot but I'm a petty, petty man :lol: