Anthony Gordon

Jack27

8 hours ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I can chime in on this one (don’t have any info on Anderson or Minteh, but do on this).

We didn’t offer him to Liverpool. Liverpool did enquire a couple of weeks ago, and again at some point last week, but we said no. No intentions of selling him at all.

AG is absolutely fine and perfectly happy here. No issues. No “heads turned”. Just clickbait guesswork journalism. Some of his family have just moved up here too.

shadow puppets vs paully.

who wins the itk.

2 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Once again they go with a story from a Brazilian novel from 2003 when it comes to the event that started the Great War.

Either the BBC was formed a decade before it actually was and reported this as news, or you’re referring to a story on the website which wasn’t a news story - and therefore not relevant. 

11 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Either the BBC was formed a decade before it actually was and reported this as news, or you’re referring to a story on the website which wasn’t a news story - and therefore not relevant. 

I cited a 2003 bbc novel in my first post (a few posts before what you quoted), which I assume that you

didn’t read. For some strange reason, both the BBC and American news sites cited the sandwich story since that novel came out, which is the first time a sandwich was ever mentioned. Smithsonian did an interesting investigation into it. I found it when I was listening to a BBC News audio walkthrough of Sarajevo when I was there for a festival in 2018. 

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

25 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

I cited a 2003 bbc novel in my first post (a few posts before what you quoted), which I assume that you

didn’t read. For some strange reason, both the BBC and American news sites cited the sandwich story since that novel came out, which is the first time a sandwich was ever mentioned. Smithsonian did an interesting investigation into it. I found it when I was listening to a BBC News audio walkthrough of Sarajevo when I was there for a festival in 2018. 

Got you :)

It’s a daft story, and does how those sort of narratives can become ‘history’ (tbf, my understanding from reading various Great War histories was always that Princip’s opportunity was the result of the car turning down the wrong street and it’s also where Princip happened to be following the earlier attempted assassination attempt.  No mention of sandwiches from memory - though whether he was eating one or not hardly seems like the biggest historical slip-up). 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s a daft story, and does how those sort of narratives can become ‘history’ (tbf, my understanding from reading various Great War histories was always that Princip’s opportunity was the result of the car turning down the wrong street and it’s also where Princip happened to be following the earlier attempted assassination attempt.  No mention of sandwiches from memory - though whether he was eating one or not hardly seems like the biggest historical slip-up). 

Depends entirely on what sort of sandwich is alleged to have been eaten. These things matter.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

That’s likely how it happened. The archduke had the route changed but the driver got confused and took the old route back. It was after a failed attempt earlier. The car as not supposed to turn on the original route. Princips was stationed there in case the first attempt didn’t go through.

1 minute ago, McDog said:

Depends entirely on what sort of sandwich is alleged to have been eaten. These things matter.

I was once given a cheese and onion sandwich in Greggs when asking for a cheese one.  I could’ve happily went on a shooting spree after biting into it.  Fucking hate onions, me

It’s not a big historical slip up at all, but it illustrates how even the BBC has helped spread bullshit stories (less than others mind you). And no one bothered to ask why a Serb would be eating a sandwich in Sarajevo in 1914. Sandwiches weren’t a thing there back then. Strangely it’s almost exclusively British and American news that still reports this on retrospectives, despite the source likely being that novel.

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

I was once given a cheese and onion sandwich in Greggs when asking for a cheese one.  I could’ve happily went on a shooting spree after biting into it.  Fucking hate onions, me

Whilst I totally believe you about the mix up. I assume if you ordered a cheese sandwich at Greggs you were in the United Kingdom. Therefore your story is suspect in that you would never be packing heat and completely ready to fire. Now if you had been in the USA, well then..........

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

It’s not a big historical slip up at all, but it illustrates how even the BBC has helped spread bullshit stories (less than others mind you). Strangely it’s almost exclusively British and American news that still reports this on retrospectives, despite the source likely being that novel.

True, which can absolutely happen with unvetted stories - and no news outlet is perfect; but the BBC does have exacting editorial standards re its news output (and I agree re coverage of Israel/Palestine particularly the terms used in relation to either side - though I wouldn’t expect the Beeb to put out the stuff I’ve seen shared on social media etc).

1 minute ago, McDog said:

Whilst I totally believe you about the mix up. I assume if you ordered a cheese sandwich at Greggs you were in the United Kingdom. Therefore your story is suspect in that you would never be packing heat and completely ready to fire. Now if you had been in the USA, well then..........

Greggs’ and its sandwich-based mix-ups are precisely why the UK has no first amendment.

See also: queue-jumping; cyclists during rush hour; grocer’s apostrophes

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

True, which can absolutely happen with unvetted stories - and no news outlet is perfect; but the BBC does have exacting editorial standards re its news output (and I agree re coverage of Israel/Palestine particularly the terms used in relation to either side - though I wouldn’t expect the Beeb to put out the stuff I’ve seen shared on social media etc).

I witnessed their editorial standards in Benghazi. Although they weren’t bad at all,there was often speculation based on rumor that  they justified with “purportedly”

they quickly jumped to the conclusion that the Abu Salim massacre site was found outside Tripoli, when it was very tenuous to begin with. Their vetting was compromised by either the fact that everyone was erroneously reporting I, or the attempt to break the story before anyone else. The editors and their headlines are usually much more egregious with this than those who actually reported it though tbf

1 minute ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

I witnessed their editorial standards in Benghazi. Although they weren’t bad at all,there was often speculation based on rumor that  they justified with “purportedly”

Yep, reporting speculatively and stating that it’s speculative doesn’t really get the journalist off the hook - it plants the idea in the mind of the audience / reader

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, reporting speculatively and stating that it’s speculative doesn’t really get the journalist off the hook - it plants the idea in the mind of the audience / reader

But at least there was some level of vetting. Citizen journalists throwing shit against the wall while never setting foot there were much much worse. 

People still call what happened in Libya a coup orchestrated by the U.S. while accusing those of us who were there of being CIA operatives because we didn’t witness anything remotely like that.

but back to Gordon