Newcastle United vs. Southampton (1-0 agg.): 31/01/23 @ 20:00 - League Cup SF, 2nd leg (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

12 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I love Wilson and it's normally seen as a bit contentious when I say he's better than Ba, so you're a bigger fan of him than me mate, Ferdinand was next level imo.

Wilson > Ba for me too; Ba was a cracking forward too mind.

Love all three tbh.  Totally understand your take on Ferdinand 👍

Edited by TheBrownBottle

14 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Just going to continue to say Isak should start, until he does.

Isn’t he not back to full training atm?  Can’t imagine Howe would risk him.

Can’t wait for him to be fully up and running.  That lad just looks a complete natural.  

15 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I love Wilson and it's normally seen as a bit contentious when I say he's better than Ba, so you're a bigger fan of him than me mate, Ferdinand was next level imo.

Haha, all about opinions. I'd take Ba over both. :lol: I'm a big fan of Sir Les (obviously) and Wilson is canny too (recent form aside).

15 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Cole and Ferdinand only had half a season more than Ba.

In terms of time, yeah. But the difference was that players in the Ba era were explicitly signed to be sold on to someone else. 

I just don't have any emotional attachment to players from that era (apart from Ben Arfa :lol: )

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

59 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Isn’t he not back to full training atm?  Can’t imagine Howe would risk him.

Can’t wait for him to be fully up and running.  That lad just looks a complete natural.  

Neither Wilson nor Isak were training fully according to Howe last week. Wilson hasn’t had full training since he came back from the WC with a virus.

By my reckoning I've attended well over 800 matches at SJP and and this one tonight is without doubt the most important for me. I can't comprehend how big this is and the extreme spectrum of emotions I could be feeling at full time depending on the result.

Howe has to be really careful with the situation with the attackers. Fair enough, cup semi-final so you want to go with some safety, but if that starting XI goes another 60 minutes without scoring and missing chances then he has to change it for the weekend. It doesn't send a good message to attacking players that running hard and being tidy in possession is enough to start if you're not contributing to actual goals. Isak and ASM are motivated to start but if they feel like they're not going to get in regardless of performance then they'll lose that edge in their cameos.

9 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

By my reckoning I've attended well over 800 matches at SJP and and this one tonight is without doubt the most important for me. I can't comprehend how big this is and the extreme spectrum of emotions I could be feeling at full time depending on the result.

Impressive supporting 👍 I’m not sure how many, but don’t think it’ll be as many as that for me. Can’t say it feels like the most important, there were some which I was absolutely clamming to see and others that I wanted to win with every ounce of my being. This does though, in my lifetime reflect probably a route to the best chance of a cup win. Two matches, potentially, a winnable game/one which we are favourites and a team we can beat/aren’t ‘the best team in the country’ (like the last two semi defeats and last two final defeats) probably awaiting us at Wembley. Exciting times!

22 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Man Utd game in 1996 pips it for me. Just.

I reckon I'm there or thereabouts the same amount of games (been going regular since 90/91 inc cup games)

Edited by Sima

22 minutes ago, Sima said:

Man Utd game in 1996 pips it for me. Just.

I reckon I'm there or thereabouts the same amount of games (been going regular since 90/91 inc cup games)

Been going since 83/84. Actually went from 1991 to 2002 without missing a home game, inc Anglo Italian Cup matches! Support became a bit more patchy under Ashley then I stopped altogether when Bruce came in. If we'd beaten Man Utd that night I'm certain we would have won the league but we still had 10 league games to play after that so this feels more definitive for me.