Newcastle United vs. Southampton (1-0 agg.): 31/01/23 @ 20:00 - League Cup SF, 2nd leg (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Happy Semi-Final day! We might (that word should be larger, much larger…) be starting an era where every season is peppered with games of such significance. Best get used to it. Enjoy your morning coffee all! (With a tasty bit of might-be on the side…). 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

This is it. The day has come. Let's fucking do it. I sincerely hope each and every supporter at the game will be ready to create something special. 

No nerves from me, I've got faith this is our year to make some history and that this team is the one to do it.

I wish I could remove that feeling that I have before basically every game that we're somehow going to manage to fuck it up. 

My mind, body and & soul has been ingrained to expect failure for so long that it's finding it hard to get used to the new-Newcastle. although semi-finals are alien to me. Hopefully they become the norm over the next decade.

The bookies are never wrong...are they!? Early goal tonight and the fucking roof comes off. Unchanged team is my guess, Isak and Maxi if needed. 

Howay the Lads!

PS - Wilson will score tonight.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Controversial opinion time: this current side beats the KK one, and does so comfortably.  The KK one was stronger relative to the rest of the PL of its day, but you’re currently watching a better side.  English football is so much better today quality-wise than it was in 1996. In terms of the KK side in Feb ‘96, Beardsley and Lee are the only two who would likely start for me. 

To put it another way then: relative to its time, Keegan's team was better than this one. The nearest modern version of that team I've seen compared to that side is the early Klopp Liverpool team. That's what that 96 team would be in the modern era. Or maybe even this season's Arsenal.

And you're off your rocker if you don't think the modern incarnation of Ferdinand doesn't get in this team ahead of Wilson. :lol:

Edited by Kid Icarus

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

To put it another way then: relative to its time, Keegan's team was better than this one. The nearest modern version of that team I've seen compared to that side is the early Klopp Liverpool team. That's what that 96 team would be in the modern era. Or maybe even this season's Arsenal.

And you're off your rocker if you don't think the modern incarnation of Ferdinand doesn't get in this team ahead of Wilson. :lol:

I think a fit Wilson is a dead heat with a fit Ferdinand.  Shearer - no comparison, of course.  But I think Callum is up there with Sir Les when firing.  Also worth remembering that Ferdinand, like Wilson this season, was also shite after Xmas that year :) 

edit: English football was utter shite in ‘96, which is a big, big difference.  There’s no way anyone can argue it was a good league at that point; performances in Europe were at their nadir that year

Edited by TheBrownBottle

Found this of when we last won a cup semi final. (or maybe the time before, in 98).  Howay the lads

13087382_10156866714230402_2662128817909113826_n.thumb.jpeg.ee94cbf3dddb62f1654dc34676c9148b.jpeg

(vs now after watch the toon for another couple of decades) hqdefault.jpg

(Club photographer took this outside Old Trafford. Later I bought the official NUFC mouse mat, which came with a screensaver on a disk. Unknown to me til I saw, this photo was on the screensaver, just after Gullit)

Edited by Inferior Acuña

3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Ferdinand was physical, explosive and so clinical. I feel like Wilson sometimes matches him for clinical finishing but doesn’t come close with the explosive power and bursts of pace that tore defences apart 

Would never describe Ferdinand’s finishing as “clinical”. He was prone to some really bad misses, and his ball-striking, whilst sometimes explosive, was never consistent.

14 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I think a fit Wilson is a dead heat with a fit Ferdinand.  Shearer - no comparison, of course.  But I think Callum is up there with Sir Les when firing.  Also worth remembering that Ferdinand, like Wilson this season, was also shite after Xmas that year :) 

edit: English football was utter shite in ‘96, which is a big, big difference.  There’s no way anyone can argue it was a good league at that point; performances in Europe were at their nadir that year

I love Wilson to bits but Sir Les is comfortably the better of the two. 

5 minutes ago, SteV said:

Would never describe Ferdinand’s finishing as “clinical”. He was prone to some really bad misses, and his ball-striking, whilst sometimes explosive, was never consistent.

He was explosive in the air, I remember some fantastic finishes, can’t really remember the misses as my memory of those days isn’t great so I’m sure you’re right on consistency

8 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

I love Wilson to bits but Sir Les is comfortably the better of the two. 

Ferdinand on the end of balls from Trippier would be utterly lethal like.

This current side is class but I'm convinced all their heads are shaped like 50p the way they can't seem to aim.

I also think a lot of the players who you would drop into today's side would benefit from the modern coaching and tactics, and would be enhanced versions of themselves.

11 minutes ago, Beren said:

Ferdinand on the end of balls from Trippier would be utterly lethal like.

This current side is class but I'm convinced all their heads are shaped like 50p the way they can't seem to aim.

I also think a lot of the players who you would drop into today's side would benefit from the modern coaching and tactics, and would be enhanced versions of themselves.

The ten-bob toon… I can feel a book coming on. 

40 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I love Wilson and it's normally seen as a bit contentious when I say he's better than Ba, so you're a bigger fan of him than me mate, Ferdinand was next level imo.