Favourite Moment?

Sufi

Shearers volley against Everton. Shola nods it to him on the edge of the box and Shearer, running in, bangs it in. I swear there was a micro second when people couldn’t take it in - then it all erupted. 

when Lauren Robert smashed the ball into Olivier Bernard’s face. Bernard tried to stay on his feet but eventually fell over, twatted. 

Aside from the moments of ecstacy after certain goals (maybe that's a different thread)

*Keegan coming back as manager - the change in atmosphere was palpable and I didn't know him as a player or live in the city and has thus far proved to be the biggest single difference to the club in half a century in retrospect.

*Tino's 3rd v Barcelona, great view and just floated up it felt like in slow motion smiling (this must be what bliss is) and is probably the pinnacle moment for since 1969.

*The team arching around the pitch towards us in the lap of honour following beating Leicester 7-1, 'we are the champions' on the scoreboard behind them and Lindasfarne playing the Geordie national anthem 'run for home' to my right. (personal reasons too).

The one’s that spring to mind, bar some off field great away trips a long time ago, and some home matches to be fair, which were more about the camaraderie and laughs than the football, are the typical ones I have been lucky to experience in person. In no particular order:
Keegan’s first game as a player—sunny day, madness getting in Gallowgate turnstiles and, of course, he only goes and scores. 
Having the whole corner roar in encouragement as I climbed the fence to get at Dennis Wise as he was chasing Mirandinha (after the radgey knacker kung fu kicked Beasant). 
2-0 half-time against Barcelona—couldn’t take it in!
Albert’s 5th and standing on seats in Leazes doing Haiwai 5-0 rowing to Manure fans. 

Singing Abide With Me before Arsenal FA cup final—overcome with emotion of being there (and conviction we were going to win…).

Seeing Rob Lee score in Chelsea semi at Wembley. 
Sheff Utd semi at Old Trafford—whole experience was amazing. 
Seeing Nobby Solano for the first time (Reserve Match, sat alone in newish Level 7) it was like watching a chess master, the passes picked and executed, just awe inspiring. 
Some jaw dropping goals: Ginola, Shearer, Beardsley, and Robert deserve a mention; all a bit merged can’t be arsed to tease out the specifics. 
Keegan winning the 1st Division as manager, getting a wave and thumbs up. 
Greeting (with a couple of hundred others, I hasten to add) Bobby Robson on the steps of SJP as he was announced manager. 

Last, and probs most important (and hopefully not prophetic) my first time at SJP. West stand to welcome team back after losing League Cup Final in ‘76. Holding my uncle’s hand up past the building works around Grey’s monument, through the crush of the crowds, the noise, the  pageantry and pride, tin foil cups and fancy dress Magpie dancing around the track. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

Cisse vs Chelsea - 2 sublime goals

7-1 vs Tottenham - Shearer magic that day

4-3 vs Leicester - Shearer hat-trick

5-0 vs Man Utd

2-2 vs Inter Milan - one of our best ever performances. Nobby hitting the cross bar still so fresh in my memory

Maybe the Champions League anthem playing against Barcelona (the first time) in and of itself plus standing in the background of it seeing the camera panning down the teams I suspected I might squeak on in the background (did between Riezeger and someone else iirc) and made a point of no selling the wholme moment despite absolutely buzzing - fear included

1) Seeing a young Paul Gascoigne run rings around seasoned midfield pros like Paul McGrath - 1987. Gazza in his fearless young pomp was an incredible sight to see.
2) David Kelly SJP goal v Portsmouth - 1992. On of the most important goals scored in NUFC’s entire history.

3) David Kelly away goal v Grimsby - 1993. Sealing promotion to the PL with about 10000 Geordies down there.

4) Andy Cole SJP hat-trick v Leicester -1993. All of SJP singing the Andy Cole song.

5) 3-1 away win v Oldham - 1993. Sky Sports officially crown us as “The Entertainers”.

6) Andy Cole SJP hat-trick v Liverpool - 1993. Running the Scousers ragged and further cementing our new-found status as the team to watch in the PL.

7) 2-0 away win at Liverpool - 1994. The last ever game in front of the old Kop….and humbling them in it.

8) 5-0 away win at Antwerp - 1994. Back in Europe for the first time in decades and doing it in style.

9) Seeing David Ginola terrorize defences in his first half-season of the PL - 1995. Still the most exciting player I have seen at NUFC when at his peak.

10) Phillipe Albert goal in the 5-0 against Man U - 1996. Almost the peak moment of 90s NUFC.

11) Tino Asprilla hat-trick v Barcelona - 1997. THE peak moment of 90s NUFC.

12) 4-3 SJP win v Man U - 2001. Keane sent off and his phoney “punch’ of Shearer.

Scalding my hand with bovril in the old east stand paddock when Withe borst the leazes net sometime in the late 70’s. 
dog on the pitch. 
lads in flares and platforms swinging off the floodlights in the leazes before it got pulled down. 
crush barriers. 
johnny metgod getting pelted with snowballs from the gallowgate at the start of the second half. 
lads getting off the train and hoying stones at the window in blaydon station. 
Venison’s bicycle kick clearance on the goal line. Not a hair out of place. Not fucking one. 

Steve Walsh OG against Leicester to keep us up (I know we'd have stayed up anyway but we didn't know that at the time).

On another level the Shearer volley V Everton. My seat was perfect for that, low middle tier of the Gallowgate right behind the goal. A couple of friends couldn't make the game in other parts of the ground so I sat in the Strawberry corner and my two mates that sat with me agreed to move for the game, my Mam, Dad (what would be his last game at SJP) and Nephew had my seats for that goal.

3 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Scalding my hand with bovril in the old east stand paddock when Withe borst the leazes net sometime in the late 70’s. 
dog on the pitch. 
lads in flares and platforms swinging off the floodlights in the leazes before it got pulled down. 
crush barriers. 
johnny metgod getting pelted with snowballs from the gallowgate at the start of the second half. 
lads getting off the train and hoying stones at the window in blaydon station. 
Venison’s bicycle kick clearance on the goal line. Not a hair out of place. Not fucking one. 

Sure the dog on the pitch was V Charlton. Changed the fame, 2-1 down and playing poorly, dog comes on, free kick floated in, With header 2-2 we fo on to win 4-2....... I think.

5 minutes ago, madras said:

Steve Walsh OG against Leicester to keep us up (I know we'd have stayed up anyway but we didn't know that at the time).

Another one I forgot ! Like others, still not sure how I got out of Leicester alive. Awful trouble that game

3 hours ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

The whole experience following us away in Europe for the first time. Mine was PSV under SBR when we drew 1-1.

That was my first away European match. Shame I missed the away CL ones, but class memory that too - intense. 

My best memories are maybe the Leeds 4-3 away, the Dabizas mackems or Shearer's pen at the mackems.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

6 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

That was my first away European match. Shame I missed the away CL ones, but class memory that too - intense. 

My best memories are maybe the Leeds 4-3 away, the Dabizas mackems or Shearer's pen at the mackems.

I was at that Leeds game, great day.