[The League Cup Final] Newcastle United vs. Manchester United: 26/02/2023 @ 4.30pm (Sky)

Nobody

29 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

I'm thrilled that we've got there but can't say that I'm confident. If we lose I won't take it badly because I know that it's just one of many steps forward

Yeah, losing this wouldn't feel anywhere near as bad as if we somehow muddled our way to a cup final under Ashley, only to lose it. Whatever happens next Sunday, you have to imagine this will be the first of a number of cup finals over the next 10 years or so. 

I'd say that most people of a certain age will naturally be feeling pessimistic about this game. The two finals of 98 & 99, in addition to the title collapse of 96, have left most of us who were around in that era with strong PTSD when it comes to the big crunch games. You can also add in the semi-final of 2000 to that mix too.

For 50 years the club has been one that continuously falls at the final hurdle. 1974, 1976, 1996, 1998 & 1999 have left us with something of a persecution/inferiority complex as a fanbase. If the new owners can get that gigantic monkey off our back we will quickly soar, but right now it still feels like one hell of a task to do it.

This is my 39th season of following NUFC and it feels like the biggest game of my lifetime. Almost too big. If we lose I will try hard to stay rational and reassure myself that we are only at the beginning of a great journey with people who are finally running the club properly. But yet another defeat would be gutting and there's no point in pretending otherwise.

Edited by Wandy

I just think we've been lucky to maintain a league position off the back of an amazing bit of momentum from last season's takeover and the incoming of a brilliant manager, but it's probably too soon for the current squad to be winning anything. If we do, then great, but any league position we're in now is more down to an incredible first half of the season compared to the draw-athon we've had since coming back from the World Cup. I think the players are struggling from a bit of burnout if I'm honest, they've done tremendously to get where we have but we need more quality in depth. The hope and optimism I had during Miggy's purple patch, where there was an air of confidence about the team and fans seems to have waned so now I'm trying to convince myself that if we don't lift the cup it's because it's we're not ready yet... but those times WILL come.

They looked really good last night, I am worried about the form of Rashford against our defence.

I think our only real weakness in general is against searing pace as both full backs, and schar, are not the speediest.

4 minutes ago, SteV said:

It’s only one journo, and you shouldn’t really tar everyone associated with the club off the back of it, but the arrogance seeping out of this article is quite something:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-united-takeover-qatari-news-26261497

"United’s matchgoers have long been one of the most principled and they value morals."