Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

1 hour ago, Keegans Export said:

...that's Manchester United who got less points than we did in the group stage "earning" £20m more than us

Fucking disgusting, all this bollocks is clearly designed to maintain the status quo.

The football authorities arent interested in competition, its an old boys club.

Jesus christ. The 'traditional' clubs are abolute c*nts. The lot of them.

We should organically grow to success you say? We made Champions League! Oh sorry, no big pot of cash for you. You have to be a big club. Grow commercial income you say? Oh sorry, no big sponsorship for you. You have to big club.

Invest in a squad to compete then? Oh sorry, you can't spend the money you have, you must have a big income first. But you just can't earn it from the Champions League, nor from sponsorship.

Edited by Turnbull2000

31 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

£8m from three home games seems a little light? The cheapest tickets were about £60.

Could be. It'd be great if that number they shared was only the UEFA payments.

Each rule softens us up for the next one without which any single one just looks blatant and would have been absurd. 

The idea that it's cheating 'financial doping' for a club to spend money it has - but not cheating at all to ban a rival from competing is just preposterous but its taking hold.

Edited by Jonas

Coefficients do seem to be less of a disadvantage in the new format and they have reduced the % of the money that is based on coefficients. There's at least some recognition that it's a stupid setup. 

1 hour ago, Keegans Export said:

How much is that worth, I thought it was £20m/season?

About £40m.  But it simply replaces one with the other.

The CL money distribution is another reason that, at the moment, I just cannot see how we bridge the financial chasm with the ‘Big Six’.  The game is completely rigged at this point, and I’m not seeing much from the current ownership to suggest that there’s any serious effort to do something about it. 

Honestly, this season has made me realise that it all seems a bit pointless.

Prize money for coefficient nonsense. Man Utd earning four times as much as us despite performing worse.

PL teams refusing to distribute money to EFL teams

Man City having a free reign to do as they please to probably win a 7th league title out of 8. 

It's all starting to seem a bit pointless. An elite club and an entrenched status quo. As £44 went out of my bank account today I did start to think - maybe it's worth trying to take a step back from football.

55 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Honestly, this season has made me realise that it all seems a bit pointless.

Prize money for coefficient nonsense. Man Utd earning four times as much as us despite performing worse.

PL teams refusing to distribute money to EFL teams

Man City having a free reign to do as they please to probably win a 7th league title out of 8. 

It's all starting to seem a bit pointless. An elite club and an entrenched status quo. As £44 went out of my bank account today I did start to think - maybe it's worth trying to take a step back from football.

It’s grim, like.  It is only meant to be an entertainment and it’s becoming a complete misery of spreadsheets and accounting.

It’s never going to happen, but the best thing that could happen to the sport now is for interest around the world to wane off, the money to shrink, and everything to return to a more localised support base.  For all the ‘best league in the world’ shite, that has never, ever arsed me one iota.  I’d just like to dream about my home town club doing something again, rather than all of this fucking nonsense.

Basically, the big teams managed to have the cake and eat it as well. 

Domestically the inflated the game to a point whereby it made sense for those less well off to be on the gravy train rather than compete. Now they are satisfied they’ve slammed the breaks and made competition a joke by limiting it in the extreme. 

and on the continent despite them trying to run away and form a new cartel which they had even more control over they still managed to extract maximum value from the incumbent. Look how much we got paid vs Manchester United for example for our CL games. 

The big boys have it all stitched up, it’s quite pointless to be frank. Clubs closed. 

7 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s grim, like.  It is only meant to be an entertainment and it’s becoming a complete misery of spreadsheets and accounting.

It’s never going to happen, but the best thing that could happen to the sport now is for interest around the world to wane off, the money to shrink, and everything to return to a more localised support base.  For all the ‘best league in the world’ shite, that has never, ever arsed me one iota.  I’d just like to dream about my home town club doing something again, rather than all of this fucking nonsense.

Even before all this ‘fucking nonsense’ we won zip……..it was still Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal etc cleaning up, why because they were rich in comparison to other clubs. Unless the club gets off it’s arse and does something about it we’ll continue to win fuck all despite having wealthy owners.

Agree with the above. Think there has been too much tacit acceptance our hands are tied and we’re playing nice. Everyone has tried to fuck us over at every turn, so why try and smile at them whilst they try and kick our legs out from under us? Be the heel and fight back.

The thing that pisses me off the most is the Saudi league white elephant / vanity project. Without the cash injection that brought Chelsea would have been double fucked and Liverpool wouldn’t have had as much headroom to strengthen.

2 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Agree with the above. Think there has been too much tacit acceptance our hands are tied and we’re playing nice. Everyone has tried to fuck us over at every turn, so why try and smile at them whilst they try and kick our legs out from under us? Be the heel and fight back.

The thing that pisses me off the most is the Saudi league white elephant / vanity project. Without the cash injection that brought Chelsea would have been double fucked and Liverpool wouldn’t have had as much headroom to strengthen.

I don't see the Saudi League project lasting even as long as the Chinese League one tbh. They've had a good bit of exposure attracting the likes of Ronaldo and Neymar but I don't see it being persisted with.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

I don't see the Saudi League project lasting even as long as the Chinese League one tbh. 

Bloomberg reported they won’t be spending much this summer. But it remains to be seen. Even if they spent massively year on year for league will remain utterly irrelevant. 

I’m not so sure, they have a lot more visibility in the press than the Chinese league ever had. The Chinese also react to the economy in how they invest in something like that. They learned quickly that it wasn’t a sustainable venture.. the Saudis don’t have those constraints.

7 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Even before all this ‘fucking nonsense’ we won zip……..it was still Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal etc cleaning up, why because they were rich in comparison to other clubs. Unless the club gets off it’s arse and does something about it we’ll continue to win fuck all despite having wealthy owners.

These are business people at the top of their game, they're hardly sat around wondering what to do?

They'll no doubt be advised by the absolute best, what Man City did wasn't a walk in the park, people forget now because they're serial winners, but at the beginning it took them time, they have been getting all the infrastructure in place and still continues to do so to this day,

obviously some dodgy business has gone on along the way and that awaits it's own problem. The Newcastle owners and Shareholders can't take the risks they did, but they will be working on all the infrastructure and the development side, this will be huge in growing the club, stadium, transportation, accommodations, training facilities and more, we're just going to all have to accept its going to take time and to be done correctly. Most our fans and social media focus solely on the first team football and transfer business, it's literally all people think a club is about, I forget myself, then need to remind myself were looking at a 10yr plan here most likely.

I hear your frustration though, maybe in the not too distant future clubs will challenge the rules, but I'd assume it would take more than Newcastle to make anything significant. 

8 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

These are business people at the top of their game, they're hardly sat around wondering what to do?

They'll no doubt be advised by the absolute best, what Man City did wasn't a walk in the park, people forget now because they're serial winners, but at the beginning it took them time, they have been getting all the infrastructure in place and still continues to do so to this day,

obviously some dodgy business has gone on along the way and that awaits it's own problem. The Newcastle owners and Shareholders can't take the risks they did, but they will be working on all the infrastructure and the development side, this will be huge in growing the club, stadium, transportation, accommodations, training facilities and more, we're just going to all have to accept its going to take time and to be done correctly. Most our fans and social media focus solely on the first team football and transfer business, it's literally all people think a club is about, I forget myself, then need to remind myself were looking at a 10yr plan here most likely.

I hear your frustration though, maybe in the not too distant future clubs will challenge the rules, but I'd assume it would take more than Newcastle to make anything significant. 

Man City never had to deal with FFP, FMV, PSR etc during their growth, we do. These rules especially FMV and associated party rules were brought in when we were taken over designed purely to prevent our growth and wow are they working. As long as rules of a clear cartel remain in place it doesn’t matter how smart business people are their commercial activities will be shackled. There is only one solution…..attempt to get the restrictions removed and if they are I’m by no means advocating unrestricted spending.

A couple of people have been saying that they were disappointed by the club voting for certain rule changes. As far as I'm aware, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, whatever you sign up to in this sort of club doesn't matter if the rules are against the law in the first place. That's assuming these do breach competition law.

We, or any club, could well vote in could be prepared in the background. Not saying that's what's happening, but those kind of challenges can take a while, so there'd be no sense rocking the boat right now when most of the league seem content to vote for them, so you won't win.

I might be completely wrong on all that, by the way, just a random thought. Most annoyingly though, if we did have any grander strategy than what seems to be happening on the surface, Ashworth would presumably have been aware of it. So I hope he stays in his garden all summer and gets stang off a wasp.

1 hour ago, FloydianMag said:

Man City never had to deal with FFP, FMV, PSR etc during their growth, we do. These rules especially FMV and associated party rules were brought in when we were taken over designed purely to prevent our growth and wow are they working. As long as rules of a clear cartel remain in place it doesn’t matter how smart business people are their commercial activities will be shackled. There is only one solution…..attempt to get the restrictions removed and if they are I’m by no means advocating unrestricted spending.

They have, not in the early stages, but they're being investigated for the last ten years, and any new rules that stop them using their previous loop holes will hinder them. They need the FMV rules to go after city because its likely most of their breaches will come under hidden owner investment.

City are still in their growth, they've only just won their first UCL in over two decades, they've just submitted a 300m plan to expand the Etihad, two decades they're still growing their fanbase, we need to do the same, but it won't be for a good while,and these conversations will change, and we will all be a lot grayer! 

In a weird way, it's sort of a safety net that it took the new owners 4yrs to acquire the club, we could have gone down the same route as city had we made an immediate purchase and be looking at a total mess in years to come.

Anyway, I'm checking out of here, because there's far more qualified people who understand business, but it's just another opinion, I guess while it's really frustrating, time will tell, and being patient pays off.

Edited by mighty__mag

20 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Didn’t expect it to be this early that we pull up the summer transfer drawbridge. 

Fucking sick of this like.

We won't get a single injury next season, don't worry. Summer magically resets it all.

Think I'm done with football, like. Only hanging around to see it fall down. Just no point in daring to want to succeed.

Whole world is sewn up for the elite.