Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

1 minute ago, Tiresias said:

Fit and Proper owners check is a fucking joke and everyone knows it. 

There is no world where you can make the league more competitive by allowing unchecked spending. If we did of course it would be a league of us and maybe man city keeping up and that would be it and it would be dull. I know I am arguing against our own self interest here but actually i want to win the league on merit not by spending 3 times everyone else like Man City have done but that may just be me. Salary Caps and Spending Caps would be good but will never get passed and the league would worry too much about not being the "best league in the world". The thing is the reason the league is good is that the broadcasting rights are more even than say in La Liga where Madrid and Barca take most the money. I would argue keep it egalitarian (just in news going other way lol) and also increase solidarity payments down the league system. In the long term financially healthy EFL will allow them to buy and produce better quality players that can flow upwards. The way things are going is a bubble, more and more money for Man City and us in future the more impoverished the rest of the league system, and suddenly we're French footy.

Man City and Chelsea need to be punished proportionally to how Everton were in line with their breaches, that would be a start. I would try and improve the checks and balances so that rather than investigations going on for fucking years this happens quickly so clubs aren't punished for historic crimes, it's fucking pathetic. I would really try and look into rules that if we can't have a wage cap or a price cap that would bring down the inflation on player value. Players that even a few years ago would have been affordable for most the league are suddenly going for £50m or more. It's daft. Equally players that sit on the benches of big clubs and want to leave are on wages that no other club could possibly afford so they end up stuck (I mean by their own choice but who wants to accept a pay cut?). 

If it is much harder for Man City and Chelsea to price everyone else out of players and stockpile them, if wages don't get so out of control then it becomes a more even league. 

If you just let us spend it we will win it soon enough and it will be boring. I do not want to be PSG. I have loved this last couple of seasons, I love this squad, I love the togetherness. You don't get that if we weren't constrained tbh. Yes I understand the pain but let's get Chelsea and Man City relegated for breaching the rules and have a laugh at that, that would be lovely. 

Yep.  I remember full well what happened when Chelsea in particular, and later Man City’s unrestrained transfer spending was in flow.  It completely wrecked the transfer market, causing wages and fees to spike disproportionately to what they were previously.  Those two clubs hoyed stupid money at some mediocre players as well as good ones - it was massively disruptive.

I also don’t want to see a ‘you can spend whatever you want environment’.  Plenty on here are suddenly keen because they think we’d benefit, and the mid-tier clubs are just stupid and jealous.  There will be some of that involved, but unrestrained spending by NUFC would be disruptive and destructive to other clubs’ wage structures etc.

FFP needs reform, not removing. 

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep.  I remember full well what happened when Chelsea in particular, and later Man City’s unrestrained transfer spending was in flow.  It completely wrecked the transfer market, causing wages and fees to spike disproportionately to what they were previously.  Those two clubs hoyed stupid money at some mediocre players as well as good ones - it was massively disruptive.

I also don’t want to see a ‘you can spend whatever you want environment’.  Plenty on here are suddenly keen because they think we’d benefit, and the mid-tier clubs are just stupid and jealous.  There will be some of that involved, but unrestrained spending by NUFC would be disruptive and destructive to other clubs’ wage structures etc.

FFP needs reform, not removing. 

Then, as someone on here suggested link FFP to the highest spenders if the owners of clubs can afford too. Much more sense than preventing owners spending to protect what the big 6 see as their entitlement.

16 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Fit and Proper owners check

It's entirely subjective, from what I can tell, to what the EPL consider to be 'fit and proper'. Morality doesn't play a part in it at all, they don't care HOW someone made their wealth, as long as they have it. 

43 minutes ago, SteV said:

Unless you can get global agreement, wage caps are an absolute non-starter.

I know, having said that actually I imagine the majority of European clubs would love to vote for it to screw every country's handful of rich clubs but I know. I don't pretend to have a solution to be honest, I suspect it would have to be an accumulation of small rules  to put a check on runaway wages. I would look at regulation of Agents and how much they are scalping out of wages, and I would think the league should spend a lot more on a robust investigatory body to chase up hidden payments cos I am sure there is loads of dodgy shit going on behind the scenes that is ignored. 

utter joke decision, somehow failing FFP rules all of a sudden is a biggest sin than anything else.

even you can manage a club and run into administration and get lesser punishment than failing FFP.

despite one is a horrible way to run a club other is trying to make the club better alongside infrastructure, future of the club etc.

I could puke from these US owned red tops clubs that think it should be only them forever on top of English football and nobody else. they would want the best of the rest to be like Brighton at best, so they can cherry pick their talents every year, ever if overpaid few times they would have a hard time after a while (when even De Zerbi is poached) to recreate the same strength each year while always having the need of replacing 2/3 of your best players which is very hard.

Everton of course hardly got much negative media over last 2 years simply because they were not a threat to the red tops fuckers. had they been media would be shouting with a different tone right now rahter than act a bit surprised...

also opens up a can of worms with potential lawsuits from other clubs now claiming they were effected big time by Everton's results.

3 minutes ago, OCK said:

Suddenly parents across the globe employed as scouts. 

Over the past few years we've seen the way the wealth of the rich can be hidden easily, routed through various shell companies, double rinsed and laundered out the other side. 

34 minutes ago, BShearer said:

utter joke decision, somehow failing FFP rules all of a sudden is a biggest sin than anything else.

even you can manage a club and run into administration and get lesser punishment than failing FFP.

despite one is a horrible way to run a club other is trying to make the club better alongside infrastructure, future of the club etc.

I could puke from these US owned red tops clubs that think it should be only them forever on top of English football and nobody else. they would want the best of the rest to be like Brighton at best, so they can cherry pick their talents every year, ever if overpaid few times they would have a hard time after a while (when even De Zerbi is poached) to recreate the same strength each year while always having the need of replacing 2/3 of your best players which is very hard.

Everton of course hardly got much negative media over last 2 years simply because they were not a threat to the red tops fuckers. had they been media would be shouting with a different tone right now rahter than act a bit surprised...

also opens up a can of worms with potential lawsuits from other clubs now claiming they were effected big time by Everton's results.

Not sure how it's a joke of a decision tbh, they've gained an unfair footballing advantage over competitors so need a footballing punishment really. Everyone would do it otherwise? I'm sure our owners would have spent a lot more over the past few windows if it wasn't for FFP, that means we are at a disadvantage against clubs who aren't bothering to play by the rules.

Aye, the rules themselves are a joke, but they were passed and we are stuck with them. This particular enforcement action seems totally legitimate, especially once you read the details of the moves they were trying to pull to cover up their losses, pretty egregious.

29 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

Aye, the rules themselves are a joke, but they were passed and we are stuck with them. This particular enforcement action seems totally legitimate, especially once you read the details of the moves they were trying to pull to cover up their losses, pretty egregious.

The turkeys voted for Christmas.

If it takes a vote for 14 out of the 20 to change anything why have the other 14 not historically used this to get rules that suit them?

The voting structure favours the 14 yet we seem to end up with rules that suit the teams that regularly get into the champions league.  

The PL would be awful without FFP right - dominated by 1 team. So glad that hasn't happened.

image.thumb.png.5ea665e01ea7f776073fdc4dd4bd9945.png

The three clubs that have finished runners-up are the three most successful in English football history. Fantastic competition. Keep it up. More... of the same please.

Edited by The College Dropout

8 minutes ago, madras said:

Aye righto.

I mean they are 6th in terms of Net spend in the last 5 years. The notion they are dominant because of a financial advantage is ridiculous IMO. 

Pep has a plan for everyone he signs and nails nearly every transfer making them better players and constantly evolving the way the side plays. He's on a totally different level to any of the other PL managers. 

I don't know why peope seem shocked that a huge revenue is a massive advantage? Next thing you'll be saying having the best team is a good advantage?

Getting rid of it would allow everyone to spend disproportionately with the big clubs to their own income. That includes Man City etc. No longer confined by their revenue they aren't suddenly just be spending what they are now, they will use their sovereign wealth fund money. And everyone else will go broke chasing us and them and you still end up with a two horse league. 

We will catch up. I don't get the impatience considering how much fun it is right now with us playing the best football for a long long time with a lovely relatable squad and manager. Are we all really that annoyed that we aren't title challenging already? We will get there, there is so much room for us to build our commercial revenue considering how shit it was before, and we will also be smarter than them and we will win the league one year, this is just slowing it down. And would I swap watching Dan Burn in the champions league for already having Mbappe and Neymar and some past it mercenary bastards on £100000000000 a minute wages? Fuck that. 

15 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

I mean they are 6th in terms of Net spend in the last 5 years. The notion they are dominant because of a financial advantage is ridiculous IMO. 

Pep has a plan for everyone he signs and nails nearly every transfer making them better players and constantly evolving the way the side plays. He's on a totally different level to any of the other PL managers. 

Wage spend ? How did they get into the position to have such a healthy net spend ? Look at the cost of the squad?

Oh the naivety of the young.

Pep is a very good manager but the financial dominance he's had practically everywhere will always leave questions.

Pep is City’s Ferguson. Without him they loose something money cannot buy. Manure have had gazillions thrown at it after Ferguson  left to no avail. Money is key,  the manager more so. That’s why we’ve struck gold. We have the man and in time the purse strings will open further to support him as our brand grows and grows :indi: