Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability: Forest unsuccessful in appeal against four-point deduction

Mattoon

1 hour ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

He said if based on the previous seasons revenue there is a shortfall of cash owners have to put in the money there and then to show they can afford to sign players otherwise they will be stopped

Now I don't know if that means there is no limit as to what they can spend or whether they have a limit but they still need to put the funds in at the start of the season 

I suppose his main point was, that the funding needs to be there to buy the players, I presume that is instead of relying on credit etc 

Cheers, I heard it as being limitless. 

44 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Scouse Mackems has always been a weird  statement. 

It’s a bit like calling Atleti, Madrid Mackems.  Everton are a very big and historically successful club and ever presents in the PL. 

Mackems are not. 

In my lifetime they were one of the big 5 (Them, Liverpool, Man Utd, Spurs, Arsenal), before Abramovic and SJH came along.

However their OTT bitterness does mark them as Mackemlike.

Edited by madras

5 minutes ago, madras said:

In my lifetime they were one of the big 5 (Them, Liverpool, Man Utd, Spurs, Arsenal), before Abramovic and SJH came along.

However their OTT bitterness does mark them as Mackemlike.

This is a fact.

Them being in the PL every single year and rarely finishing above 7th in the last 25 years is amazing.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Scouse Mackems has always been a weird  statement. 

It’s a bit like calling Atleti, Madrid Mackems.  Everton are a very big and historically successful club and ever presents in the PL. 

Mackems are not. 

It's the mentality rather than the stature of the club. There is no doubt they're a large club historically.

32 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

What chance do people reckon of them getting the points back, or the amount of deducted points being reduced?

Depends where they are towards the end of the season. If they're ahead of the three promoted teams they won't get any reduction, if they're behind they will.

Edited by Beth

With the remaining 25 games can they outscore Luton by at least 5 points? I think they can and will

But it might look a bit scary at times, especially if Luton can grab the odd win away

They actually played well for a decent chunk of the game today once they managed to recover after conceding a wondergoal, should really have scored one of the numerous chances they created an they have been creating chances throughout the season so I don't see that suddenly changing 

39 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

What chance do people reckon of them getting the points back, or the amount of deducted points being reduced?

The guy (Nick somebody) who was on the Lineker/Shearer podcast, a journalist who covers this kind of thing, seemed to think there was no chance of it being overturned, but perhaps a chance of it being reduced.

10 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

I'm still not sure why people (including Carragher) are questioning the points deduction... The club were pre-warned,  continued to spend, still had saleable assets (pickford, Calvert lewin).

It hasn't come out of the blue 

Are they not questioning the amount they’ve been deducted?

45 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Are they not questioning the amount they’ve been deducted?

But it has to be a reasonable deterrent.

If there is a line in the sand you can't just say that being 19 million pounds over is ok.

But imagine if it was just three points and it  had went through last season... Everton would have been relegated at Leicester's expense.

10 hours ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

But it has to be a reasonable deterrent.

If there is a line in the sand you can't just say that being 19 million pounds over is ok.

But imagine if it was just three points and it  had went through last season... Everton would have been relegated at Leicester's expense.

I agree with you. It's not just a matter of punishment  - it needs to be a deterrent as well. Any club in danger of relegation might consider it's worth the risk of an overspend if the worst that's going to happen is a 10 point penalty the season afterwards. The financial penalty for relegation is huge.

A bigger deterrent is the prospect of being sued by the clubs who stuck to the rules but got relegated as a result. However, we don't know how a case like that would be viewed by the courts.

Incidentally, the £19m overspend is only the figure that Everton were prepared to admit to. The Premiership's view was nearly £100m. Everton were trying to use all sorts of dodgy devices to reduce the figure.

What annoys me greatly is the idea that this punishment was unexpected. That is only lawyer-speak, but it is being taken up by politicians who should know better (ho ho). As with Man City, it was very obvious to any outsider that something dodgy was going on with the Everton spending, and the club had been in discussion with the Premiership for months beforehand.

Sorry to go on a bit, but this is something I feel strongly about.

From watching yesterday's scenes at Goodison, I'm concerned at how far these protests are going to go, if Everton fail to escape the relegation zone. We've seen their Directors forced to stay away from the ground due to plausible threats of violence, players accosted outside the ground, and fireworks let off at night outside a visiting team's hotel. There was also the Liverpool fans trying to intimidate a visiting team in the Champions League by organising a mob to surround the coach. 

Many Everton fans seem to think that violence or the threat of it is a legitimate tactic to use to their advantage against anyone. The intervention of politicians can only legitimate those fans' sense of grievance. We could be going into uncharted territory here.

11 minutes ago, Cronky said:

From watching yesterday's scenes at Goodison, I'm concerned at how far these protests are going to go, if Everton fail to escape the relegation zone. We've seen their Directors forced to stay away from the ground due to plausible threats of violence, players accosted outside the ground, and fireworks let off at night outside a visiting team's hotel. There was also the Liverpool fans trying to intimidate a visiting team in the Champions League by organising a mob to surround the coach. 

Many Everton fans seem to think that violence or the threat of it is a legitimate tactic to use to their advantage against anyone. The intervention of politicians can only legitimate those fans' sense of grievance. We could be going into uncharted territory here.

Gordon last minute winner in a few weeks time would bubble the pot over nicely 

10 hours ago, Cronky said:

Many Everton fans seem to think that violence or the threat of it is a legitimate tactic to use to their advantage against 

Welcome to Merseyside, the Dark side of the city is like that day after day.