Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

27 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

I imagine if those top 5-6 teams don't get their way they'll just up sticks and jump in with trying to set up a new European Super League again. Still, fuck them, fuck them all, we've been cheated and held back by the bastards for long enough, roll on when the Prem's stupid rules fall and their corruption is exposed.

Fans don't want the ESL. Can you imagine every away game being in another country? It would only take a year or so and you've got basically 0 away fans.

There's no history or tradition with these matches either. I can feel something towards any English club, be it Man U, Liverpool, Wolves, Southampton, whoever. There's history there, there's geographical identity too in that we can relate to each other and know people who are from these areas or support these clubs. But  Bayern Munich or Atletico Madrid or whoever? Sure, interesting and exciting the first time, but there's no workplace banter with Dortmund fans, we've no history with Atetico Madrid. It'll get stale VERY fast, even for the home games. And once the fans stop giving a shit, TV audiences dry up and the sponsorship disappears too.

ESL would fail inside 5 years, even if it did happen. Then what do the participants do? Come crawling back?

28 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Fans don't want the ESL. Can you imagine every away game being in another country? It would only take a year or so and you've got basically 0 away fans.

There's no history or tradition with these matches either. I can feel something towards any English club, be it Man U, Liverpool, Wolves, Southampton, whoever. There's history there, there's geographical identity too in that we can relate to each other and know people who are from these areas or support these clubs. But  Bayern Munich or Atletico Madrid or whoever? Sure, interesting and exciting the first time, but there's no workplace banter with Dortmund fans, we've no history with Atetico Madrid. It'll get stale VERY fast, even for the home games. And once the fans stop giving a shit, TV audiences dry up and the sponsorship disappears too.

ESL would fail inside 5 years, even if it did happen. Then what do the participants do? Come crawling back?

If they fuck off I’d love a gulf state to sponsor the PL for silly money, they’d beg to be back in

57 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Chelsea is still a massive gamble, if they don’t make top 4 regularly there’s only so long that charade can be kept up for.

Just sell more stuff to themselves - they will find a way

1 hour ago, Armchair Pundit said:

I imagine if those top 5-6 teams don't get their way they'll just up sticks and jump in with trying to set up a new European Super League again. Still, fuck them, fuck them all, we've been cheated and held back by the bastards for long enough, roll on when the Prem's stupid rules fall and their corruption is exposed.

I wonder if the fans of Liverpool and Man Utd for instance would oppose the ESL with the same vitriol if rules were changed that upset their long term chances of domestic success. 

If either ATP or PSR rules were meaningfully changed (and on balance I'd prefer it was the PSR ones as that seems fairer overall to rest the league to me), I wonder what the reaction would be from some of the owners of clubs who would see their current dominance threatened. A few more clubs going up for sale?

If not the Super League then I could imagine a renewed effort from the highest earning clubs to get more of the broadcast revenue, which could be more of a percentage based on merit in the way it's done today or by trimming the PL to 18 clubs. And, whether the PL has 18 or 20 clubs, I could see the number of relegation places getting reduced to two (or even one). And there will be another push to expand the CL again.

How many clubs is that now? 4?

City, Villa, Forest and Leicester? Something's got to give at some point and it'll need to be completely revamped or the PL will collapse imo. It'll tear itself apart - member clubs taking legal action against the collective of the remaining clubs simply isn't sustainable

Must be a proper kick in the balls, as it was for us. Make the right moves in the transfer market, hire the right manager, get into the Champions League aaaaaaaand now you have to sell some of your best players. If the rumours about Luiz are true, for well below their value. 

Even better, you could end up performing better in the Champions League than a fellow PL side and end up with a smaller share of the pot than them. 

It wasn't too obvious when it was just "The Big Six" and nobody really bothering to challenge them properly, but now you've had Leicester, ourselves and Villa all coming up against the same glass ceiling.

53 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Am I missing something?

Why would anyone challenge the premier league PSR rules when everyone wanting to play in Europe have to abide by the UEFA PSR rules …. Or they can’t play in European competitions?

So scraping the premier league rules would be meaningless ? Unless UEFA PSR Rules were challenged Instead.?

24 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Am I missing something?

Why would anyone challenge the premier league PSR rules when everyone wanting to play in Europe have to abide by the UEFA PSR rules …. Or they can’t play in European competitions?

So scraping the premier league rules would be meaningless ? Unless UEFA PSR Rules were challenged Instead.?

UEFA’s rules can also be challenged in CJEU as being anti competitive 🤷🏼‍♂️

23 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Am I missing something?

The punishments for breaching UEFA PSR are generally seen as less strict. PSG just keep paying a fine. I believe the punishments are quite clear and well documented to, so you can plan around them. The Premier League it's just guess work.

There is also the assumption that if PSR is found illegal in the UK, it would likely fall apart in Europe. A bit like that agent cap thing.

11 minutes ago, danny said:

And to think we were the ones with the actual gripe against the rules

Darren Eales and the club are playing a blinder in garnering support through very clever strategy.

Villa have spent money but like Leicester its hardly accurate to call it 'financial doping' which is what this was initially purported to be about not the over-reach  of outlawing ambition and disadvantaging everybody but the elite of the day it has become.

Nobody would have been bent out of shape about either's spend before these rules and now its a punishable offence.

55 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Am I missing something?

Walk before you run, domino effect and all that. 

Too many good points in that to even try to quote them all. And, funnily enough, his proposal at the end (a £400m cap) is exactly what I think the right solution and amount is. 

Edited by timeEd32