Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

26 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

I honestly hope the whole sport goes bust.  It's rotten to the core.

Feels like there's no middle ground with any sport though. Some rugby clubs are struggling, Cricket is struggling, we even lost the basketball league earlier this year before it was reincarnated.

I absolutely detest this corporate greed "you must increase your profit margins year on year" bollocks.

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

Hopefully the ESL will get the same reaction from fans that it got the last time. Utter contempt. They'll be trying a different method to try and get around it this time, so we'll see how it goes. 

I'm not saying that there's a combined effort to ruin the Premier League in order to make the ESL seem more attractive by comparison, but that's generally the tactic that's used to manufacture consent for unpopular decisions and the Premier League certainly does appear to be being ruined...

Arsenal, and Liverpool fans have been begging for it.

54 minutes ago, Nobody said:

They said before it was going to start this year the daft twats :lol:

I really don't mind them starting a super league as long as they close the door behind them.

I mean how would they even justify making it a level playing ground if the cartel are earning four or  five times the other clubs in the league? 

9 hours ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

I really don't mind them starting a super league as long as they close the door behind them.

I mean how would they even justify making it a level playing ground if the cartel are earning four or  five times the other clubs in the league? 

Any super league, if it did actually come in, would have our owners pushing everything to be within it. Let's not kid ourselves 

Edited by et tu brute

4 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Anu super league, if it did actually come in, would have our owners pushing everything to be within it. Let's not kid ourselves 

Aye, can’t fucking wait for the top 6 to all be holding hands going into it, and a hand reached out to us, only for it to fall apart, the top 6 clubs to get away with it again, but for us to be absolutely fucking shafted by the Premier League.

I’d hate an ESL, but I hope it raises its ugly head again (to be shot down) just to show the world that we aren’t the bad guys.

1 minute ago, Heron said:

For match going fans the idea of a ESL will be dead in the water from the get go for around 99%.

You’d hope so.

I have no faith in Arsenal, or Liverpool fans though. As ever though, those online will be the most vocal.

Just now, Stifler said:

You’d hope so.

I have no faith in Arsenal, or Liverpool fans though. As ever though, those online will be the most vocal.

If memory serves me right both sets of fans were very outspoken against it last time with banners in the stadium, etc. Though.

I actually think there needs to be a recolution in English football where all fans say they're sick of this shit rather than continue fighting it out. Just at present, we're still a little way away from that "penny" dropping.

3 hours ago, Jonas said:

The super league pops up like a prodding reminder anytime there are changes in the game that may not benefit the elite.

It's their nuclear threat option. The Cartel 4 are like Russia - every time their noses are pushed slightly out of joint, they threaten us with a breakaway or an A bomb. We then back off and accommodate them. 

1 hour ago, andycap said:

Why did we not go down the interest free loan route? Instead of going over the top with our ffp. 

There's 2 things that dictate what a club can spend.

1. The profit that a club generates and/or use of the rolling £105m losses allowed under PSR

2. The cash available to utilise 1.

Sponsorship deals increase 1, hence the APT rules and bring in cash for 2

Loans have no impact on 1 but increases 2.

Bear in mind that the allowable losses are essentially cash losses so any club operating within the £105m needs a cash source to do so. As loans 'artificially' increase clubs ability to trade in players it stands to reason that there should be a mechanism to account for this. We've gone the equity route instead so there was no need to go down the loan route

1 hour ago, andycap said:

Why did we not go down the interest free loan route? Instead of going over the top with our ffp. 

It doesn't make any difference, owners can only put £105m over 3 years in to cover losses on the PSR balance sheet, loans aren't a way around FFP.

Our owners have been putting in money by issuing shares, around £400m so far. This is effectively giving the club money that can only be got back if they sell the club for £400m more than they bought it.

Other owners have done the same by giving interest free loas to the club. Which the club could be made to pay back at some point, like what happened to Portsmouth.

Is FIFA or UEFA open to the idea of recognising the proposed ESL? 

Because if they actively opposed it and banned its playing staff from competing in their sponsored competitions like the WC I’m sure it would look a lot less attractive.

6 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Is FIFA or UEFA open to the idea of recognising the proposed ESL? 

Because if they actively opposed it and banned its playing staff from competing in their sponsored competitions like the WC I’m sure it would look a lot less attractive.

I guess you're right, FIFA and UEFA are thankfully beyond just doing things for money or backhanders that otherwise make no sense at all...

Screenshot_20241014_234648_mobi_mgeek_TunnyBrowser_BrowserActivity2.thumb.jpg.6cfe1fc8287cc443829d307f1486a609.jpg

Oh.

TBF the fans of the Sky6 got the last ESL cancelled with their protests I'd imagine they would do it again, I do think the EPL needs a reform though Masters and co need to be replaced, with new rules written up to allow investment but ban leverage takeovers, protect English football.

Personally I think the Sky6 are to greedy and won't let it happen.