Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

11 hours ago, Dokko said:

We've probably lost about 10pts this season, European football this and potentially next season, for trying to stick to FFP. Stick it up yer arse. Go big, put in deals to cover the sham, see them in court. Remember, we've a dossier on these cunts from the takeover, soon as they saw what we had they folded. 

That’s nonsense. The PL would have saw it thru in court had Qatar & Saudi not came to an agreement on piracy 

1 hour ago, gdm said:

That’s nonsense. The PL would have saw it thru in court had Qatar & Saudi not came to an agreement on piracy 

They absolutely wouldn’t have.

The piracy ended long before the ‘agreement’, and the feeds and subscription through BeIN was restored before then as well.

What swung it our way was that on the Friday before, a judge allowed for evidence against the Premier League to be used, and to be used publicly. Evidence that the Premier League did not want to be used.

7 minutes ago, Stifler said:

The piracy ended long before the ‘agreement’, and the feeds and subscription through BeIN was restored before then as well.

What swung it our way was that on the Friday before, a judge allowed for evidence against the Premier League to be used, and to be used publicly. Evidence that the Premier League did not want to be used.

I think what swung it was the $1bn paid by KSA, and the end of the BeIN block.  That was on the 6th October 2021.  On the 7th October 2021 the deal was announced as being back on; it was completed on the 8th October 2021.

But I reckon it was that bloke who did the legal stuff on Twitter wot won it

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/12427926/newcastle-takeover-all-parties-hopeful-saudi-led-consortiums-deal-can-be-announced-on-thursday

4 hours ago, Stifler said:

It's amazing how people still can't see it. The thing dragged on for 18 months and then as soon as the PL's QC had his arse handed to him live on a stream the whole thing was resolved within a fortnight. Piracy my arse.

Interesting that Radcliffe is being reported as wanting to re vamp \ move from Old Trafford, guessing they would become big opponents of stadium costs being included in FFP if this goes ahead.  In my opinion we would do well to match or better timescales should we push on with changes to St. James 

3 minutes ago, Monters said:

Interesting that Radcliffe is being reported as wanting to re vamp \ move from Old Trafford, guessing they would become big opponents of stadium costs being included in FFP if this goes ahead.  In my opinion we would do well to match or better timescales should we push on with changes to St. James 

Not if he gets the government to pay for it.

I do hate it when people say that the government pays for stuff. It's the tax payers that are paying for it, the government are just signing the cheques.

I realise it's just shorthand for what I've said but it still narks me somewhat that some people are actually thinking it's the government's money. Maybe nobody does!

50 minutes ago, Wandy said:

It's amazing how people still can't see it. The thing dragged on for 18 months and then as soon as the PL's QC had his arse handed to him live on a stream the whole thing was resolved within a fortnight. Piracy my arse.

You need to give the KSA govt a ring, and tell them that they wasted the cost of a phone call to the PL to find out what it would take to resolve everything, and they wasted $1bn in paying off BeIN the day before the takeover miraculously went through.

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

You need to give the KSA govt a ring, and tell them that they wasted the cost of a phone call to the PL to find out what it would take to resolve everything, and they wasted $1bn in paying off BeIN the day before the takeover miraculously went through.

It's not that I don't think resolving the piracy issue was what unblocked it. I just don't believe that it took PIF 18 months to offer to do that. I reckon they offered to sort it very early on in the saga but the PL just put more obstructions in the way, at the behest of their six overlords.

Once the whole thing went nuclear with the televised hearing, the PL just said "ok, sort out your with dispute with BEIN.....like you offered to do so 18 months ago.....and we will pass it through"

8 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

I literally can't keep up with this crap, what financial governance are they going with now?

The kind of governance that keeps the old top 6 clubs at the top and prevents ambitious clubs catching up.

4 hours ago, healthyaddiction said:

Not if he gets the government to pay for it.

Manchester already have had their bloody free stadium, get them share it with Man City O0

1 hour ago, FloydianMag said:

The kind of governance that keeps the old top 6 clubs at the top and prevents ambitious clubs catching up.

It doesn’t really seem fair as smaller (financially speaking) clubs can’t catch up, potentially ever. 

maybe there should be a weighting along the lines of the parachute payments. Every position you finish lower you can spend a high percentage. Finish 17th and you get to spend 300 % of turnover with a sliding scale, finish top you can spend 70% of turn over. That would stick it to the big clubs and allow small clubs to put their owners money in. 

whole thing is a mess, can’t see any solution really. Removing any ffp restrictions at least returns it to how it’s always been. Big clubs can buy who they want, but small (financially speaking) clubs like Blackburn, Leicester, Chelsea and city can alway have the dream of rich owners coming in and turning them around. 

so, selfishly, whats 85% of our turnover a year for transfer fees if this came in? 

13 minutes ago, Mag3.14 said:

Manchester already have had their bloody free stadium, get them share it with Man City O0

Better idea, most manure fans live in London, they can relocate and share with West Ham. 

1 hour ago, FLUMPO235 said:

It doesn’t really seem fair as smaller (financially speaking) clubs can’t catch up, potentially ever. 

maybe there should be a weighting along the lines of the parachute payments. Every position you finish lower you can spend a high percentage. Finish 17th and you get to spend 300 % of turnover with a sliding scale, finish top you can spend 70% of turn over. That would stick it to the big clubs and allow small clubs to put their owners money in. 

whole thing is a mess, can’t see any solution really. Removing any ffp restrictions at least returns it to how it’s always been. Big clubs can buy who they want, but small (financially speaking) clubs like Blackburn, Leicester, Chelsea and city can alway have the dream of rich owners coming in and turning them around. 

so, selfishly, whats 85% of our turnover a year for transfer fees if this came in? 

Think I heard or read it mentioned at 150m. Don't know if that's based on now or next seasons projections or just as example.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Aligning laws with UEFA does make sense.

It's just that the UEFA laws are worse than the PLs.

Do Uefa have rules regarding fair market value that make it impossible for a club to grow its revenue to levels comparable to the biggest revenue clubs? A wage cap in itself is not a bad idea, it’s how it’s been compounded (by the PL at least) with limiting owner equity investment and using their contacts to help develop their club commercially that has really ensured the same few clubs are guaranteed nobody else will be able to compete with them. 

3 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Do Uefa have rules regarding fair market value that make it impossible for a club to grow its revenue to levels comparable to the biggest revenue clubs? A wage cap in itself is not a bad idea, it’s how it’s been compounded (by the PL at least) with limiting owner equity investment and using their contacts to help develop their club commercially that has really ensured the same few clubs are guaranteed nobody else will be able to compete with them. 

The Uefa cap is on revenue to transfer/wage activity. UEFA cap doesn’t stop your PSG or Newcastle’s. But it does stop your Aston Villa’s. 

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

The Uefa cap is on revenue to transfer/wage activity. UEFA cap doesn’t stop your PSG or Newcastle’s. But it does stop your Aston Villa’s. 

So PIF could bring on board some sponsors that were linked to themselves and it would have to go through fair market value assessment?

14 minutes ago, Scoot said:

So PIF could bring on board some sponsors that were linked to themselves and it would have to go through fair market value assessment?

As far as I know there’s no fair market assessment for UEFA. But the PL aren’t discussing dropping that element. They are discussing the revenue to transfer/wages cost. So it would be worse x worse. 

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

IMO Saudi should host an invitational pre season tournament where entrants get £100m each. Could anyone stop that?

I'm sure they'd make a rule up if they got wind of it.

23 minutes ago, Scoot said:

I'm sure they'd make a rule up if they got wind of it.

Or we could lobby KSA for funds to build a new stadium as Ratcliffe intends to lobby UK government for funds to redevelop OT.

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

In what sense would it stop Aston Villa type clubs? Would Aston Villa be prepared to enter into huge external debt and have unnaturally high wages in an attempt to compete, because if so stopping that would actually make sense.