Newcastle United 0-2 Manchester United (26/02/2023)

Disco

5 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

Yeah I understand that, I think for me though Man United’s midfield was genuinely so bad at the time, with Fred/McTominay anyone with a reasonable quality would elevate them, which he absolutely has. I wonder how long he has left in his legs though. Physically demanding role 

Well, he's only 31, for a DM I believe he has 2 to 3 years in top form given his quality and awareness of defensive positioning, should still play the 5 role in Brazil next world cup unless some wonderkid comes through

Just now, JNK said:

Well, he's only 31, for a DM I believe he has 2 to 3 years in top form given his quality and awareness of defensive positioning, should still play the 5 role in Brazil next world cup unless some wonderkid comes through

Wouldn’t be surprised if beating Bruno and Joelinton was a big motivator for him today.

1 minute ago, JNK said:

Yeah but you can see sudden drop

offs from players around that time, just losing half a yard can impact greatly. Forgot about Fernandinho tbf he was insane for city, dominant player and very clever 

17 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Just like 98 and 99.

Felt totally different to me, we at least laid a glove on them unlike the previous. Those times we played the champions and had no chance this time me lost to a team at our level simply in better form

Eating a McFlurry alone in London now after getting away from Wembley.

gutted really. Seeing that clock tick away. The screaming rallying cries not leading to anything. 

My eyes started tearing up when we were waving the flags and scarves in the last 5 minutes

raging seeing the ManU fans getting on the tube with us who hadn’t stayed for the trophy. Football is wasted on that lot. Fucking plastics will never know the joy we feel when it finally happens (and my only consolation is that eventual joy feels like it can only build more with every failure along the way. But now I know it will actually come.)

love the toon. Trafalagar was amazing.

oh and there were two empty seats next to me in Club Wembley (block nearest our fans) - disgraceful

1 minute ago, geordie_b said:

Felt totally different to me, we at least laid a glove on them unlike the previous. Those times we played the champions and had no chance this time me lost to a team at our level simply in better form

I think they’re better than our level. Their plethora of £60m to £85m players dwarfs us. 

Tried to allow my thoughts to digest a bit before posting in this thread post-match. The game pretty much went how I expected tbh - good effort but we ultimately lacked quality and, most importantly, big game experience. 

Thought Joelinton and Bruno were good, Isak as well when he came on. Max was frustrating but bright in patches. There were certainly positives, just a lack of end product, which is the recurring theme lately. 

Given where we were 12 months ago, we don't really have any right to be in and amongst it yet, so the fact that we gave a good account of ourselves and lost it to two "moments" is reason to be proud. 

We're still bringing the likes of Murphy, Ritchie and Anderson off the bench. They're bringing on the likes of Wan-Bissaka, Sancho and Sabitzer. Talents like Garnacho sat in reserve. There's a gulf there that we need to narrow in the summer, but we all knew that coming in. 

It's easy to forget how far we've come, and the work that still needs to be done. This is just the beginning. 

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if beating Bruno and Joelinton was a big motivator for him today.

I still think those 3 will be Brasil's midfield for a while in the next World Cup cycle.

1 minute ago, Sempiternal said:

Yeah but you can see sudden drop

offs from players around that time, just losing half a yard can impact greatly. Forgot about Fernandinho tbf he was insane for city, dominant player and very clever 

Fernandinho is absolute class, he oozes it every time he touche's the ball.

He had a really shitty luck for the national team, being mainly involved in the 7-1 in 2014 and conceiding a own goal plus not fouling Lukaku on the counter in 2018. 

Still, he's back at his childhood club (my club as well) and if he's not the best second midfielder in the brazilian league this year he's a close second.

So good to see a player of his quality back still at an insane level at our club, I dare say he would have a spot at the toon squad even today, if not a startes as a great second half option and a dressing room leader. (after the final we played as well today, he is just a diferent breed)

37 year's old and he's THE "regista" in Brazil right now for me (main media will hype Gerson since he play's for Flamengo)

8 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Eating a McFlurry alone in London now after getting away from Wembley.

gutted really. Seeing that clock tick away. The screaming rallying cries not leading to anything. 

My eyes started tearing up when we were waving the flags and scarves in the last 5 minutes

raging seeing the ManU fans getting on the tube with us who hadn’t stayed for the trophy. Football is wasted on that lot. Fucking plastics will never know the joy we feel when it finally happens (and my only consolation is that eventual joy feels like it can only build more with every failure along the way. But now I know it will actually come.)

love the toon. Trafalagar was amazing.

oh and there were two empty seats next to me in Club Wembley (block nearest our fans) - disgraceful

I’m sure quite a few of those resellers couldn’t get the prices they were asking. 

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’m sure quite a few of those resellers couldn’t get the prices they were asking. 

Winning the League Cup to a Man United fan probably generates about as much joy as winning an away league game by two goals against solid opposition does for us. Every draw probably feels like a 3-0 loss, the average league win barely noticeable.

They’ll never experience our lows but they’ll never know our highs either. It’s a shit way to be a fan, if you think about it.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

One thing for sure is I'm buzzing to be back in Europe. One tremendous achievement from this season, regardless of which competition. 

Don’t underestimate the value of getting a European spot - it’s a huge opportunity regardless as you say the competition we get - it’s a base to build our squad on 

5 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

It’s a nothing trophy to them in fairness. They only want to win it because it’s something to build in for future success. Every chance ell get like that towards the league cup at some point.

It’s up to us to not let that happen ?? Competitions are there to be won. 

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

Bruno and Botman are our only world class players. But we’re one year in to the takeover.

pope and trippier have been unbelievable for us. Isak will be eventually.

patience.

Bruno and Botman didn’t look close to that today.  Thought they were two of the worst performers.