Newcastle United 0-2 Manchester United (26/02/2023)

Disco

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Proud of that today. When we get to a level where we can start a 30 year old £70m multi-Champions League winner, and can take off a £90m winger and replace him with a £75m one, we'll start winning trophies.

Thought we were taking the EFL theme a bit too seriously with our last three subs like.

At HT, I was feeling bitter because of the ref and because Man Utd weren't even playing well.

But by FT it was clear that we didn't deserve it. A complete inability to score goals or even come up with a shot when chasing the game.

Oh well, love 'em anyway. Onto next time.

Onwards and upwards 

This was an important step on a much bigger journey 

I hate those Manc cunts, but fuck it, they’ve spent a fortune whilst Ashley spent nowt, they’ve got strength in depth and a good manager. We’re playing catch up after years of neglect 

Our time will come 

Edited by bobbydazzla

Now it’s had a few hours to sink in, I’ve thought about why this bothers me so much.

Our club is on an upward trajectory and this won’t be the last final, this is just the start. But what would’ve been really special about this one is how many of the squad were written off under Bruce. Howe has helped some of these lads find levels they probably didn’t even know they had.

As the squad evolves and improves some will be phased out due to ability, some due to age. The likes of Burn, Longstaff, Schar, Wilson, Miggy. How many of them will still be in the squad or on the bench when we next make a final? 

They deserved it man, that’s what stings. They really fucking deserved something to show for how far the team have come over the past 12 months and it feels so unfair that for many of them this was the only chance they might get

Guest reefatoon
17 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Love them both 

Though you would never get tired of walloping Casimiros twat ugly face with a shovel.

Would have been more interesting if we'd set up for the start of the match like how we were in the 2nd half, the problem is again we ended up chasing the game by conceding 2 shit goals. I knew he wouldn't start wilson and Isak together although I was praying he would. The false winger system seems to be in decline, especially for us. The whole point is that miggy and max are meant to get opportunities to come inside and shoot, and that just is not happening. I think Isak just behind Wilson and Max/Miggy swapped over would have done far more damage at 0-0. 

Everytime Trippier sends Miggy to the goal line I think whats the point, he's got to come back. 

In the first half Longstaff put an amazing ball across the 6 yard box, but Wilson clearly didn't expect it because he came short, he obviously thinks it's never going to come in

5 minutes ago, Mr Pups said:

Would have been more interesting if we'd set up for the start of the match like how we were in the 2nd half, the problem is again we ended up chasing the game by conceding 2 shit goals. I knew he wouldn't start wilson and Isak together although I was praying he would. The false winger system seems to be in decline, especially for us. The whole point is that miggy and max are meant to get opportunities to come inside and shoot, and that just is not happening. I think Isak just behind Wilson and Max/Miggy swapped over would have done far more damage at 0-0. 

Everytime Trippier sends Miggy to the goal line I think whats the point, he's got to come back. 

In the first half Longstaff put an amazing ball across the 6 yard box, but Wilson clearly didn't expect it because he came short, he obviously thinks it's never going to come in

I said that in another thread.  Eddie isn’t that manger though and we knew that 

24 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

At HT, I was feeling bitter because of the ref and because Man Utd weren't even playing well.

But by FT it was clear that we didn't deserve it. A complete inability to score goals or even come up with a shot when chasing the game.

Oh well, love 'em anyway. Onto next time.

You say that, Man United are a team of seasoned pros who managed the game superbly.

10 minutes ago, Mr Pups said:

We'd have been insane to stary with a 4-4-1-1 mind.

10 minutes ago, Mr Pups said:

Couldn’t have described it better myself 

Genuinely feel exhausted but glad it's over. Like alot of previous posters have said, we're well punching at our position. One step towards tearing shit the fuck up.

Thought Man Utd bossed the game like a Eddie Howe version 2.0 with an extra half billion squad. Bruno and BIG JOE stood out, I'm gutted but enlightened. 

Our fans though, it's unreal. I love our city and the support. I couldn't speak walking to bar at ft, then the place erupted with our chants.  We're great, we'll be great.

Feel really down tbh, such a depressing outcome today. Of course we can be proud of our fans, our city and our team and look to the future with optimism. However today was difficult to watch and accept. 

We were on top for long periods and if it's 0-0 at HT then perhaps we had a chance of nicking it but once Man Utd were ahead by two goals that was game over. After that it was the perfect situation for them - toothless attack versus solid and streetwise defence, and there was no way we were going to score. 

It's disappointing because it feels like this game came at a bad time for us and a good time for them - we were bouncing before the World Cup but looking extremely ponderous on the ball now, and starting to look less solid at the back as well. 

We'll bounce back of course but we need a serious look at the squad because there is no depth and we rely too heavily on certain players. We'll get there but today was painful. No complaints about the staff or players - everyone gave absolutely everything and it most certainly wasn't lack of effort or commitment that was at fault today. 

Not a nice feeling but we'll be back. 

I was wondering if the game would have been any different if we had played a low block ourselves and just played counter attack. But honestly I don't think it would. Even though they almost caught us into he counter a few times 2nd half, both their goals could have happened regardless of how we had set up. 

I think I just have to accept it wasn't our time yet and we just weren't a big enough goal threat ourselves to win this game. Man u just seem to find scoring a lot easier than us recently. Perhaps Pope might have made a difference but it wasn't too be.