Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

5 hours ago, TheGuv said:

??

It’s literally around 10-20 blokes. I think there was 6 of us singing it for 2 minutes trying to keep it going. If 10-20 of us can get the East Stand/Leazes going I’d love for us to have 1000-2000 in the Leazes safe standing please 

Well done mate.. it's growing each game but you guys never stopped all day.

If you can just get the guy to stop singing "we hate Sunderland " in-between the gaps though. We all do... but I rather ignore them to be honest lol

Edited by RobsonsWonderland

8 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

If you can just get the guy to stop singing "we hate Sunderland " in-between the gaps though. We all do... but I rather ignore them to be honest lol

I think maybe the We Hate Sunlun helps with keeping time though? Used to do that with the equivalent Bobby chant and it could go on for ages. 

16 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

It’s some bloke sitting a few rows in front. Can never work out who it is [emoji38]

Least he pipes up tbf to him!

Think it shows if we kept Strawberry corner lads there and had few thousand stood in one of leazes corner would massively help. If a few in a corner of leazes make a difference 2k would work well

Sunday games are normally shite for atmosphere unless we're paying someone good/hated or the game turns into a belter. So I was pleasantly surprised with how the atnosphere was. Crowd started off the game getting behind the players rather than waiting to be entertained for the first time in a while. Also notable that  a lot of the lowest section of the Gallowgate was standing throughout. Maybe that is where we should look to introduce safe standing along there at first. 

The first half performance definitely helped keep the atmosphere going, but the only let down  for me was the silence just after they scored. Properly took the wind out of the crowd at a time when we really needed to be doubling down and getting behind them.

It's always flat for the first 5 minutes of the second half but that's an ingrained habit that's been there for as long as I can remember!! 

Pretty decent away end last night. Bruno in the middle not really sung until the end of the game. Only went flat

for a bit after their goal. Fairly varied song book and plenty of needle with their fans. Who were also pretty loud and aggro. 

Didn’t realise how much animosity their was between the clubs. Felt a bit of an atmosphere walking up to the game and definitely afterwards. Speaking to my mate’s uncle before and he was mentioning the strikes and how Notts didn’t close, which caused a lot of it. Some old boys in our end were pretty vitriolic with their SCABS chants! 

We really need some more songs for our players, though. Especially this bunch. Seeing as they are so likeable and doing so well. 

On 18/03/2023 at 10:06, Lush Vlad said:

Pretty decent away end last night. Bruno in the middle not really sung until the end of the game. Only went flat

for a bit after their goal. Fairly varied song book and plenty of needle with their fans. Who were also pretty loud and aggro. 

Didn’t realise how much animosity their was between the clubs. Felt a bit of an atmosphere walking up to the game and definitely afterwards. Speaking to my mate’s uncle before and he was mentioning the strikes and how Notts didn’t close, which caused a lot of it. Some old boys in our end were pretty vitriolic with their SCABS chants! 

We really need some more songs for our players, though. Especially this bunch. Seeing as they are so likeable and doing so well. 

I thought it was a little below par first half. Got better second half, probably because we scored at the end of the first half and probably because we were shooting towards the away end and playing well. 

With Forest, there is a certain amount of animosity from their side, a lot of it dating back to the cup tie in 1974 which is impressively petty. That said, the ones we came across on Friday were pretty sound.

On 18/03/2023 at 10:08, samptime29 said:

Can't wait for the Man Utd game. I reckon there will be a cracking atmosphere.

Hear this every time and everytime its the same.  Loud for 5 min.  

Maybe make some noise if we have a chance and thats it.

35 minutes ago, geordiesteve710 said:

As a fanbase we do really struggle with conceding goals like. Completely knocks the stuffing out of us at the precise point the team needs lifting. Might be rose-tinted specs on here but I'm sure we used show a bit more defiance back in the day.

We certainly did compare the current lot to Derby away when we we’re facing relegation to the 3rd tier. Down to 9 men the cunt Brian Coddington had fucked us over, but never seen or experienced support like it that day at the Baseball Ground.

Some would say ah but your harking back to a time long gone, well fast forward to Spurs away in league cup with Jack Alnwick in goal at WHL. Again defiant, superb support that night when getting hammered.

I think the current support as seen at Wembley is the worst crop of support we’ve had in years. I think there’s maybe a hardcore of 1500 who have followed the lads everywhere for years but they’re getting on now, the current crop seem more interested in singing about Adam P and getting photos taken with him.

1 hour ago, geordiesteve710 said:

As a fanbase we do really struggle with conceding goals like. Completely knocks the stuffing out of us at the precise point the team needs lifting. Might be rose-tinted specs on here but I'm sure we used show a bit more defiance back in the day.

I genuinely think our overall support has become psychologically frail after the last 30 years, topped off by Ashley. Build someone's hope up that often, and then smash them down lower than they were before every single time and you can do real damage.

People stop investing themselves too much to keep themselves defended, and expect the worst so soon as the wind starts turning.

1 hour ago, geordiesteve710 said:

It might be rose tinted glasses but in the 1970's the worse we were the louder and more defiant we became. I blame all seater stadiums mainly it stopped `gangs` of supporters standing together, then the demoralizing effect of Ashley's ownership. Along with that it's very expensive for teenagers to watch live games home and away, and teenagers make the most noise and can keep it up for longer :footy:   

4 minutes ago, Choppy Chop Chop said:

It might be rose tinted glasses but in the 1970's the worse we were the louder and more defiant we became. I blame all seater stadiums mainly it stopped `gangs` of supporters standing together, then the demoralizing effect of Ashley's ownership. Along with that it's very expensive for teenagers to watch live games home and away, and teenagers make the most noise and can keep it up for longer :footy:   

I wonder if the sound level, if measured in the centre circle, was louder then or now. I think at times the atmosphere seemed better because, if you were in the centre of the Gallowgate (80s) you were right in amongst it, literally pressing  against each other. For anyone stood in the paddocks, or the Leazes after the roof came off, the atmosphere wasn't all that.

2 hours ago, geordiesteve710 said:

It’s related to modern society also and how the frail the younger generation struggle to deal with setbacks and start feeling sorry for themselves along with the need for their attention to be held constantly. It’s the same at gigs now. If the hits aren’t being played people start get drawn back to their phones or start chatting amongst themselves.

8 minutes ago, LFEE said:

It’s related to modern society also and how the frail the younger generation struggle to deal with setbacks and start feeling sorry for themselves along with the need for their attention to be held constantly. It’s the same at gigs now. If the hits aren’t being played people start get drawn back to their phones or start chatting amongst themselves.

image.png.974b55cf45199eb2ae1810f6b1f52e38.png

2 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

We certainly did compare the current lot to Derby away when we we’re facing relegation to the 3rd tier. Down to 9 men the cunt Brian Coddington had fucked us over, but never seen or experienced support like it that day at the Baseball Ground.

Some would say ah but your harking back to a time long gone, well fast forward to Spurs away in league cup with Jack Alnwick in goal at WHL. Again defiant, superb support that night when getting hammered.

I think the current support as seen at Wembley is the worst crop of support we’ve had in years. I think there’s maybe a hardcore of 1500 who have followed the lads everywhere for years but they’re getting on now, the current crop seem more interested in singing about Adam P and getting photos taken with him.

The mere mention of that name is enough to make me scowl. It's like a reflex. 

21 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Fucking hell.

I'd walk off stage if I was playing a gig and people started chatting!!! 

3 hours ago, geordiesteve710 said:

Hasn't that always been the case all over ? Fan bases will get straight behind in "important" games but in general there's little beyond a "come on"...... not even a 70s "you're gonna get your fuckin' head kicked in".