Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

The fans have a sense of what's needed, we knew that yesterday was a great chance to make a fresh start for the second half of the season and get the win.

I think expecting people to just constantly be loud is not going to happen, but hoping that people get behind the team at the key moments is probably more realistic. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The fans have a sense of what's needed, we knew that yesterday was a great chance to make a fresh start for the second half of the season and get the win.

I think expecting people to just constantly be loud is not going to happen, but hoping that people get behind the team at the key moments is probably more realistic. 

not sure I agree. first half was good, because we were all over them and you could sense it was only a matter of time before we got a goal or two. second half things didn't get going until after we scored our second. I'd argue the start of the second half and after their goal were key moments, but the atmosphere was poor.

doesn't help people take 15 minutes to get back to their seat after HT like.

overall it was good, but I think the main issue is that it's just too reflective of whatever it happening on the pitch. if we're on top, creating chances, pressing defenders etc the crowd get into it and are loud and supportive. which is class, but not every game is like that so we need to do a bit more.

1 hour ago, pedro111 said:

Wolves was my first game since Brentford and I have to say the atmosphere was better than I expected though not great by any means. I was sat in the Gallowgate/Milburn corner. Most around me were sat in silence all game and this one lad a few along from me seemed pleased to have someone to join in with him. [emoji38] Wolves fans were atrocious I thought. Barely heard them throughout apart from after they scored but even then they were poor but I think it's clear as day that our issue will be solved by a singing section or two. Like minded fans have to be together. Good noise can come from the small sections of vocal support we have already and I am positive of what could be achieved with a couple of designated areas and that is even without safe standing.  One thing I don't like is the lack of Blaydon Races. How has this happened? We sang it first half but never again not even after the winner when it should have been belted out. But overall there is a good base to work with.

We were 1 block away from the Wolves fans in L7 and agree they were terrible. Brought decent numbers although not quite the full allocation as there was an extra block of home fans but they were virtually inaudible even in close proximity other than after they scored. Also heard them booing the ref at HT.

Got to say yesterday gave me hope it certainly isn't a lost cause.

38 minutes ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

There were points when it sounded like wolves were at home.Bruno jeered the crowd up a bit but it is ALWAYS the same late Sunday kickoffs with everyone being full of roast dinners that the crowd is silent at a lot of points during the match.

btw i fucking hate the half time bullshit. It’s just not entertaining in the slightest

Barely heard the wolves fans where I was sitting opposite.

29 minutes ago, TheDimpleboy said:

Was better than usual. Had a few more voices joining in, in Leazes L4. Though there were some very flat periods too.

Was good to see the north east corner even getting the east stand going with Eddie Howes black and white army!

??

It’s literally around 10-20 blokes. I think there was 6 of us singing it for 2 minutes trying to keep it going. If 10-20 of us can get the East Stand/Leazes going I’d love for us to have 1000-2000 in the Leazes safe standing please 

Best atmosphere for a while yesterday. Surprising but welcome lack of moaning and groaning after they equalised as well. Feel that the crowd knew we just had to stick with the team as getting a win yesterday was absolutely huge given the recent run. In spite of the penalty incident it'd have been a travesty had we not won that given our dominance in the first half.

Also first time I've ever heard, though briefly, the Isak song from inside the ground. Hope it catches on. :lol:

But everyone around where I usually sit (East Stand block L) was very supportive yesterday. Hope it keeps up.

5 hours ago, Big River said:

overall it was good, but I think the main issue is that it's just too reflective of whatever it happening on the pitch. if we're on top, creating chances, pressing defenders etc the crowd get into it and are loud and supportive. which is class, but not every game is like that so we need to do a bit more.

Agree with this.

It was definitely better yesterday but, Christ, when it went quiet it was tumbleweed quiet. And I noticed just before Wolves scored that the game had gone completely flat, and you could sense that the players needed the fans to give them a lift as Wolves were looking threatening. It never came though and, instead, the crowd just sat and waited for something to happen. Sure enough, a few minutes later the equaliser came.

Overall though it was better than some recent games. Maybe the fact that people are now talking across social media platforms about a lack of noise has resulted in people making some extra effort yesterday.

5 hours ago, TheGuv said:

??

It’s literally around 10-20 blokes. I think there was 6 of us singing it for 2 minutes trying to keep it going. If 10-20 of us can get the East Stand/Leazes going I’d love for us to have 1000-2000 in the Leazes safe standing please 

Well done mate.. it's growing each game but you guys never stopped all day.

If you can just get the guy to stop singing "we hate Sunderland " in-between the gaps though. We all do... but I rather ignore them to be honest lol

Edited by RobsonsWonderland

8 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

If you can just get the guy to stop singing "we hate Sunderland " in-between the gaps though. We all do... but I rather ignore them to be honest lol

I think maybe the We Hate Sunlun helps with keeping time though? Used to do that with the equivalent Bobby chant and it could go on for ages. 

16 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

It’s some bloke sitting a few rows in front. Can never work out who it is [emoji38]

Least he pipes up tbf to him!

Think it shows if we kept Strawberry corner lads there and had few thousand stood in one of leazes corner would massively help. If a few in a corner of leazes make a difference 2k would work well

Sunday games are normally shite for atmosphere unless we're paying someone good/hated or the game turns into a belter. So I was pleasantly surprised with how the atnosphere was. Crowd started off the game getting behind the players rather than waiting to be entertained for the first time in a while. Also notable that  a lot of the lowest section of the Gallowgate was standing throughout. Maybe that is where we should look to introduce safe standing along there at first. 

The first half performance definitely helped keep the atmosphere going, but the only let down  for me was the silence just after they scored. Properly took the wind out of the crowd at a time when we really needed to be doubling down and getting behind them.

It's always flat for the first 5 minutes of the second half but that's an ingrained habit that's been there for as long as I can remember!! 

Pretty decent away end last night. Bruno in the middle not really sung until the end of the game. Only went flat

for a bit after their goal. Fairly varied song book and plenty of needle with their fans. Who were also pretty loud and aggro. 

Didn’t realise how much animosity their was between the clubs. Felt a bit of an atmosphere walking up to the game and definitely afterwards. Speaking to my mate’s uncle before and he was mentioning the strikes and how Notts didn’t close, which caused a lot of it. Some old boys in our end were pretty vitriolic with their SCABS chants! 

We really need some more songs for our players, though. Especially this bunch. Seeing as they are so likeable and doing so well. 

On 18/03/2023 at 10:06, Lush Vlad said:

Pretty decent away end last night. Bruno in the middle not really sung until the end of the game. Only went flat

for a bit after their goal. Fairly varied song book and plenty of needle with their fans. Who were also pretty loud and aggro. 

Didn’t realise how much animosity their was between the clubs. Felt a bit of an atmosphere walking up to the game and definitely afterwards. Speaking to my mate’s uncle before and he was mentioning the strikes and how Notts didn’t close, which caused a lot of it. Some old boys in our end were pretty vitriolic with their SCABS chants! 

We really need some more songs for our players, though. Especially this bunch. Seeing as they are so likeable and doing so well. 

I thought it was a little below par first half. Got better second half, probably because we scored at the end of the first half and probably because we were shooting towards the away end and playing well. 

With Forest, there is a certain amount of animosity from their side, a lot of it dating back to the cup tie in 1974 which is impressively petty. That said, the ones we came across on Friday were pretty sound.

On 18/03/2023 at 10:08, samptime29 said:

Can't wait for the Man Utd game. I reckon there will be a cracking atmosphere.

Hear this every time and everytime its the same.  Loud for 5 min.  

Maybe make some noise if we have a chance and thats it.