Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

35 minutes ago, geordiesteve710 said:

As a fanbase we do really struggle with conceding goals like. Completely knocks the stuffing out of us at the precise point the team needs lifting. Might be rose-tinted specs on here but I'm sure we used show a bit more defiance back in the day.

We certainly did compare the current lot to Derby away when we we’re facing relegation to the 3rd tier. Down to 9 men the cunt Brian Coddington had fucked us over, but never seen or experienced support like it that day at the Baseball Ground.

Some would say ah but your harking back to a time long gone, well fast forward to Spurs away in league cup with Jack Alnwick in goal at WHL. Again defiant, superb support that night when getting hammered.

I think the current support as seen at Wembley is the worst crop of support we’ve had in years. I think there’s maybe a hardcore of 1500 who have followed the lads everywhere for years but they’re getting on now, the current crop seem more interested in singing about Adam P and getting photos taken with him.

1 hour ago, geordiesteve710 said:

As a fanbase we do really struggle with conceding goals like. Completely knocks the stuffing out of us at the precise point the team needs lifting. Might be rose-tinted specs on here but I'm sure we used show a bit more defiance back in the day.

I genuinely think our overall support has become psychologically frail after the last 30 years, topped off by Ashley. Build someone's hope up that often, and then smash them down lower than they were before every single time and you can do real damage.

People stop investing themselves too much to keep themselves defended, and expect the worst so soon as the wind starts turning.

1 hour ago, geordiesteve710 said:

It might be rose tinted glasses but in the 1970's the worse we were the louder and more defiant we became. I blame all seater stadiums mainly it stopped `gangs` of supporters standing together, then the demoralizing effect of Ashley's ownership. Along with that it's very expensive for teenagers to watch live games home and away, and teenagers make the most noise and can keep it up for longer :footy:   

4 minutes ago, Choppy Chop Chop said:

It might be rose tinted glasses but in the 1970's the worse we were the louder and more defiant we became. I blame all seater stadiums mainly it stopped `gangs` of supporters standing together, then the demoralizing effect of Ashley's ownership. Along with that it's very expensive for teenagers to watch live games home and away, and teenagers make the most noise and can keep it up for longer :footy:   

I wonder if the sound level, if measured in the centre circle, was louder then or now. I think at times the atmosphere seemed better because, if you were in the centre of the Gallowgate (80s) you were right in amongst it, literally pressing  against each other. For anyone stood in the paddocks, or the Leazes after the roof came off, the atmosphere wasn't all that.

2 hours ago, geordiesteve710 said:

It’s related to modern society also and how the frail the younger generation struggle to deal with setbacks and start feeling sorry for themselves along with the need for their attention to be held constantly. It’s the same at gigs now. If the hits aren’t being played people start get drawn back to their phones or start chatting amongst themselves.

8 minutes ago, LFEE said:

It’s related to modern society also and how the frail the younger generation struggle to deal with setbacks and start feeling sorry for themselves along with the need for their attention to be held constantly. It’s the same at gigs now. If the hits aren’t being played people start get drawn back to their phones or start chatting amongst themselves.

image.png.974b55cf45199eb2ae1810f6b1f52e38.png

2 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

We certainly did compare the current lot to Derby away when we we’re facing relegation to the 3rd tier. Down to 9 men the cunt Brian Coddington had fucked us over, but never seen or experienced support like it that day at the Baseball Ground.

Some would say ah but your harking back to a time long gone, well fast forward to Spurs away in league cup with Jack Alnwick in goal at WHL. Again defiant, superb support that night when getting hammered.

I think the current support as seen at Wembley is the worst crop of support we’ve had in years. I think there’s maybe a hardcore of 1500 who have followed the lads everywhere for years but they’re getting on now, the current crop seem more interested in singing about Adam P and getting photos taken with him.

The mere mention of that name is enough to make me scowl. It's like a reflex. 

21 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Fucking hell.

I'd walk off stage if I was playing a gig and people started chatting!!! 

3 hours ago, geordiesteve710 said:

Hasn't that always been the case all over ? Fan bases will get straight behind in "important" games but in general there's little beyond a "come on"...... not even a 70s "you're gonna get your fuckin' head kicked in".

22 minutes ago, geordiesteve710 said:

Fucking hell.

I'd walk off stage if I was playing a gig and people started chatting!!! 

Jack White has system where your phone is put in a pouch and can only be unlocked in the venue foyer. Few other musicians and comedians are doing this now 

re support at Wembley in post above (can’t be arsed to quote, on phone) - my general theory is that Wembley visits inspire the least passionate support for all clubs. 

People who usually go to natural singing areas of club grounds get spread all over a massive area which doesn’t help. 

Then you have more people absolutely shitfaced on their big day out, more people who got tickets through some corporate connection, and thousands of people who never normally go to games but managed to get tickets, despite them all selling out almost immediately. 

The worst support I’ve seen in recent Wembley trips was Derby in the play off final - thousands of people in just bought replica kits, people who you just know has never been to a match before - Derby allowed anyone to buy up to six tickets, and still didn’t sell them all. 

For the 2020 LC final I fancied a treat so paid 500 quid for a Club Wembley seat. It was at the Man City end of ground (although mixed obviously). Their fans utterly silent, it was so humdrum for them. 

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

You saying Im wrong with my observations? ?

Well I mean the fans at SJP aren't just young kids, so there are plenty of older folk who go quiet when we conceed. It's more a mindset thing from the Ashley era of everything being shit, rather than an age thing. 

41 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Thought the away end was brilliant on Friday. Sang all game, had a hoarse voice at the end to the point where I sounded like I was a chain smoker. And that's as a young photo-with-Adam P-taking piece of scum.

Thought it was a bit below average me. Don't get me wrong, absolutely fantastic scenes when the winner went in and celebrating long after the final whistle.

But there were some very large periods of quiet which I'm not too used to at away games. Certainly well below the last time I was here with the two Karl Darlow saves. 

That being said, I was at the right hand side of the away end (if you're facing the pitch), and I could hear the left hand side of our away end giving it a good go. Just didn't seem to spread for some reason.

Their home support was tremendous like, possibly best I've heard. 

3 minutes ago, TheDimpleboy said:

Thought it was a bit below average me. Don't get me wrong, absolutely fantastic scenes when the winner went in and celebrating long after the final whistle.

But there were some very large periods of quiet which I'm not too used to at away games. Certainly well below the last time I was here with the two Karl Darlow saves. 

That being said, I was at the right hand side of the away end (if you're facing the pitch), and I could hear the left hand side of our away end giving it a good go. Just didn't seem to spread for some reason.

Their home support was tremendous like, possibly best I've heard. 

Disagree like but fairs. Thought it was class, everyone around me including myself were at it all game.

Do think we are atm overly hypercritical of our atmospheres home and away tbh. It's par for the course at pretty much all PL clubs, asserting that it's not as good as it used to be ~30 years ago doesn't really help.

Compared to most clubs we do pretty well in all aspects. A bit of twisting about atmospheres is to be expected I suppose, but all seater stadiums, large family enclosures , increased corporate hospitality and increased numbers of kids and tourists means things will never be like they were in the 80’s & 90’s. 

2 hours ago, LFEE said:

You saying Im wrong with my observations? ?

I would say yeah.  Young people make much more of an effort and its the old people who sit there moaning all game.

18 minutes ago, Slim said:

I would say yeah.  Young people make much more of an effort and its the old people who sit there moaning all game.

Yeah but at least shouting and moaning is creating an atmosphere. Don’t see many oldies on their phones or munching their meal deals ?

Edited by LFEE

13 minutes ago, Slim said:

From when the atmosphere was good regularly it was the older ones (one behind me springs to mind, loved a moan) and the younger post Keegan one's that contributed the least to the atmosphere with the middle group 20-40 being the touch paper for things. Now they'll be the older ones and the younger ones will be the middle group. Overly simplistic reasoning as to why it is the way it is.

31 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Yeah but at least shouting and moaning is creating an atmosphere. Don’t see many oldies on their phones or munching their meal deals ?

Are we talking about kids 18-20ish  or actually children? 

4 hours ago, LFEE said:

What gigs do you go to like?

38 minutes ago, Slim said:

Are we talking about kids 18-20ish  or actually children? 

Teenagers.

Indie rock stuff so typically at Academy, City Hall, Boiler Shop and Riverside.

35 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

What gigs do you go to like?