Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

By which I mean is, has it been integrated into the ground as it is, rather than is it still there as a standalone stand.

First time I went to SJP in 1986 I genuinely couldn't believe what a mess it was. The Leazes End a dozen rows of steps and a wall. That stand to the left of the Gallowgate which was about 80 years old even then.

Someone obviously got something right in the intervening years. Sir John Hall, I presume?

5 minutes ago, brummie said:

By which I mean is, has it been integrated into the ground as it is, rather than is it still there as a standalone stand.

First time I went to SJP in 1986 I genuinely couldn't believe what a mess it was. The Leazes End a dozen rows of steps and a wall. That stand to the left of the Gallowgate which was about 80 years old even then.

Someone obviously got something right in the intervening years. Sir John Hall, I presume?

Yeah, it has been integrated fully into the ground.  The only notable change came in 1995 when the club removed the corporate boxes, and effectively made the stand a single slope (it was previously tiered)

49 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

He reminds me of Roger Nouveau from The Fast Show

I can imagine this sort of patter worked in Atlanta.  Here, I don't think he comes across well - and the ongoing ticketing debacle and the fucking bizarre idea of corporatising the Leazes ... it speaks of knowing sweet FA about local economics.  The club is in the poorest region of GB - someone needs to let Eales and Silverstone know about this basic fucking fact.  You're going to struggle to sell overpriced tickets.

Yeah, I imagine that must've taken up a lot of time - Silverstone already had a relationship with adidas, and everyone always says how kit deals take as long as multi-billion pound corporate mergers.

Roger Nouveau It's him [emoji38]

I reckon if I'd been there, I might have enjoyed his confidence.

He seems like a bit of a Joker, there's a video of him dressed as Beetlejuice hiding and trying to scare the Atlanta players as they arrive in work. 

8 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

This will most likely go down shite on here, but I find Eales mildly irritating, seen lots of footage of him, it sort of feels like he's faking this super fan shite, singing songs etc, feels like Ashley's honeymoon period vibes, Nufc shirt on downing pints.

Edit: On the ticketing side, the switch in time/day probably caused fans from far and wide to be unable to make it.

Still, I think the ballot sucks, and prefer the old system.

The switch in time doesn’t apply to members, cos the ballot was only done a week before kick off

And if a season ticket holder can’t make it to a game they can now sell their ticket, so that should stop their seats being empty

But it’s possible they don’t want to, or don’t know how to

Can’t imagine why anyone would think a ballot a week before a game and random seat allocation is a positive development compared to the 10am queue, which had its flaws, but was far better than this shitshow we’ve got 

Edited by bobbydazzla

13 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

Leazes East corner, was able to stand for the full game which was good. Some bursts of singing but not consistent

First time I’ve been in Leazes for about 10 year, not a part of the ground I’d go for, given a choice 

I really miss being in Strawberry Corner and walking into the ground every game knowing I’d be standing up and we’d be noisy  

I was unsuccessful in the ballet again but on Friday around 40/50 tickets popped up on sale in the Leazes End level 4 block W. My disdain for that area of the ground meant I came back off the site without buying as I'd rather watch on TV than sit there.

Obviously the first time I'm successful in the ballot that's exactly where they'll put me but just got to take my chances.

Also noticed because of Brentford only having less than half the usual away allocation it gave almost 2k home fans the chance to sample the safe standing area up there and it looked like around 75% of them decided to sit down :lol:

10 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

I was unsuccessful in the ballet again but on Friday around 40/50 tickets popped up on sale in the Leazes End level 4 block W. My disdain for that area of the ground meant I came back off the site without buying as I'd rather watch on TV than sit there.

Obviously the first time I'm successful in the ballot that's exactly where they'll put me but just got to take my chances.

Also noticed because of Brentford only having less than half the usual away allocation it gave almost 2k home fans the chance to sample the safe standing area up there and it looked like around 75% of them decided to sit down :lol:

Brentford was my first ballot success from 3 x attempts, and they put me in Leazes L7 when historically I've bought tickets for Strawberry Corner every game

You couldn't pay me to sit in Leazes L7, I'd rather watch on telly. Plus I'm about to get knee surgery so tackling millions of billions of steps is a massive whitey

I sold the ticket to a mate and got another in the resale, pitchside in Leazes East. Not where I want to be, but much better than my daft fucking ballot allocation

Edited by bobbydazzla

7 minutes ago, jack j said:

Looked like half the standing section (the away end tickets that had been sold to home fans) were sitting down. Presuming them tickets were allocated like the rest and no choice given?

And there shows another flaw in the randomly allocated seats in the ballot. People who'd prefer to sit put in standing sections whilst no doubt people who would prefer to stand being put in seated areas.

Been said before but the whole ticketing system isn't fit for propose, for home and away games. The amount of empty seats now on display at both SJP and on the road is ridiculous when there's so many supporters locked out!

3 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

And there shows another flaw in the randomly allocated seats in the ballot. People who'd prefer to sit put in standing sections whilst no doubt people who would prefer to stand being put in seated areas.

Been said before but the whole ticketing system isn't fit for propose, for home and away games. The amount of empty seats now on display at both SJP and on the road is ridiculous when there's so many supporters locked out!

Hopefully Eales and Silverstone turn up to this canal in Milan and somebody accidentally pushes them both in.

Nobody is telling me they’re not behind this, absolute cunts trick giving people who have travelled hundreds of miles dodgy tickets aswell.

First half always going to be flat when thousands cannot get in on time.

My observations so far:

1- fans should beable to select their seats in ballot- key is like minded fans tofether.

2- coroprate in different stands is shite, should be together not spread around.

3- need safe standing in Leazes also

4- ticketing into ground is ridiculous, other clubs make it work, i'm not getting to ground 45 mins early.

5- general sale seats- allow seat moves at start of year to get more lads together.

6- too many miserable fuckers.

22 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

I thought it was class where I was in the south west corner. Strawberry corner starts everything then it spreads round. I think it was a markedly better atmosphere than the same match last season.

From what I can gather everyone who thought the atmosphere was class was in the Gallowgate and everyone who thought it was shite was in the Leazes!

As I've said I'd rather not go than sit in the Leazes (not including the NE corner). 

6 hours ago, NUFC91 said:

First half always going to be flat when thousands cannot get in on time.

My observations so far:

1- fans should beable to select their seats in ballot- key is like minded fans tofether.

2- coroprate in different stands is shite, should be together not spread around.

3- need safe standing in Leazes also

4- ticketing into ground is ridiculous, other clubs make it work, i'm not getting to ground 45 mins early.

5- general sale seats- allow seat moves at start of year to get more lads together.

6- too many miserable fuckers.

I sit in Barracks (shmucks corporate) and I honestly hate where I sit mainly because of the revolving door of fans on a day out getting lashed on someone else's coin and the match being a purely secondary thing.

They're all fucking wankered, late in and early out, 10 thousand pisses and have no grasp of what's actually happening.

Oh aye, and it's deathly silent and I get filthies for swearing [emoji38]

Problem is now for members to guarantee a ticket you've got to apply on your own for a better chance, yes you sing but you probably don't go as absolutely mental than if you were with one of your mates. Plus lots of couples managing to get in with the gadgey 'behaving himself' 

On 18/09/2023 at 00:01, mighty__mag said:

Roger Nouveau It's him [emoji38]

I reckon if I'd been there, I might have enjoyed his confidence.

He seems like a bit of a Joker, there's a video of him dressed as Beetlejuice hiding and trying to scare the Atlanta players as they arrive in work. 

I’ll liking him more, all of a sudden! 

24 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Tons of local old songs we should be using instead of these generic ones every club sings.

Meet me on the Corner is an absolute banger. No doubt we’d somehow manage to sing it 10x the speed ?

9 hours ago, Wandy said:

I’m hearing from friends who were there in Milan tonight that pre-match atmosphere amongst our lot was good but support at the game was crap. Sigh.

I thought the way Milan policed it massively didnt help, fans had to walk 2 miles from metro station to ground, was pretty much 3 hour journey from canal area to stand.

Was flat in ground for periods of time, everytime me and the lads would sing it would spread but not enough do same imo

We were actually speaking to some AC ultras at restaurant near our airbnb, they said thsy only meet before game and all together so they have energy for the game, makes sense as i was shattered by k.o. also all the racket in san siro comes from around 4-6k ultras

Edited by NUFC91

42 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

I thought the way Milan policed it massively didnt help, fans had to walk 2 miles from metro station to ground, was pretty much 3 hour journey from canal area to stand.

Was flat in ground for periods of time, everytime me and the lads would sing it would spread but not enough do same imo

We were actually speaking to some AC ultras at restaurant near our airbnb, they said thsy only meet before game and all together so they have energy for the game, makes sense as i was shattered by k.o. also all the racket in san siro comes from around 4-6k ultras

Rather than most of our lot having peeve for breakfast in the airport on the Monday morning and drinking nonstop till the match kicks off at teatime on the Tuesday

Edited by bobbydazzla