Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

Half the lads whinging would’ve been rucking on at the match back in the day. Nostalgia simply omits the bits that would’ve been shite.

I was above the standing bit and even when there was singing and bouncing it just didn’t travel well IMO so nowt ever seemed to get going massively. 

On the plus side bar a couple of pissed kids in the square there was no bother or bad crack to report. The BVB fans in the crowd seemed to appreciate the crack and how many had travelled over to their fairly average city.

Mad seeing loads of German charvas in the station this morning doing laughing gas as I waited for my train to the airport this morning mind. 

21 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

‘People being drunk’ may be the worst excuse for a shit atmosphere I’ve heard yet.

There are a lot of social ills caused by public drunkenness, but one positive is that it tends to make for lairy and loud away ends.

Every time the camera panned to the away end it seemed to be full of half-and-half scarfers and passivity.   They didn’t look pissed-up to me. 

Someone else mentioned Feyenoord in 2002 above - I was there, and me and the lads I was with started pretty early that morning in Amsterdam and were well served by the time we got to Rotterdam for the match - and so was most of the away end.  I don’t remember that being a ‘half and half scarf’ experience - that away end was crackers (in a good way).  Singing AYE AYE LIPPI LIPPI AYE

I can't properly explain how much I agree with this. I'm 41, I've just spent 3 days on the lash. Tuesday morning I was hungover to shit, but by kickoff I was in full voice again.

The idea that people are too hungover and can't sing is utter bollocks

If anything I drink at the football in order to lose control and be louder

Edited by geordiesteve710

33 minutes ago, geordiesteve710 said:

I can't properly explain how much I agree with this. I'm 41, I've just spent 3 days on the lash. Tuesday morning I was hungover to shit, but by kickoff I was in full voice again.

:) good lad - as a fellow 41-year-old I’m impressed that you’ve still got the stamina mate

There’s probably a right level of drunkenness which helps before you turn into a useless mess tbf. I can think of a few times in the past where I’ve been in such a state I’d have been no use to helping create an atmosphere. Brugge was one. Derby under Big Sam and Forest for a late kick off under Hughton. Other occasions I’ve been pissed and had a great time like Leeds when Shelvey scored. Probably just hadn’t gone over the useless mess level. Ha. I’ve no idea the impact coke would have in all honesty.

There was me talking about over analysis before. ?

8 hours ago, geordiesteve710 said:

I'm glad you had a good time mate, but from the area I was in, it was clear that people were so far gone they didn't stand a chance of being able to create an atmosphere. Literal zombies.

19 minutes ago, huss9 said:

should be a played before or after each game

Have heard it a few times before the game this season

Mind I've been getting in early as fuck with this new ticketing carry on

15 minutes ago, jack j said:

Have heard it a few times before the game this season

Mind I've been getting in early as fuck with this new ticketing carry on

dj played it in dortmund market square.

just think it should be better known. 

just got a class sing along quality to it.

should be on the list with local hero, coming home newcastle, and primal scream as a match day fixture.

3 hours ago, jack j said:

Screenshot_20231109_195511_X.jpg

Oh God no, not another version of that tune.

It's so unoriginal, no matter what the words - and I say this whilst our support sings our version of this dirge every 30 fucking seconds.

Great to have fans like Keith back, he’ll be in the same position as many of us who ditched it and lost season tickets/points. Obviously knows a lot more folk to call in favours with tickets, wouldn’t begrudge him though helped many out over the years and great bloke.

Edited by Whitley mag