Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

6 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

People will always say / believe whatever they want if they perceive some kind of injustice somewhere (see the vitriol towards YouTubers etc).

The reality is that last night's atmosphere had nothing to do with who had the tickets and everything to do with British drinking culture... I'll never fucking understand why you'd spend hundreds of pounds to follow NUFC in Europe, only to be too pissed to make a noise / stand up.

Agree, but I’d say drink and drugs. 

It’s even reflected in some of the songs I heard…summit about Nick Pope sniffs coke and some other butchered song about 10 bags. 

The only saving grace for me is that I didn’t hear anything about WW2 or anything stupid like that (which I expected to tbh). 

1 minute ago, NUFC91 said:

Find it hard to believe unless people are selling tickets on. I seen 4 lads in away end last night who i know don't have season tickets or enough loyalty points. There was couple on our flight saying it was their 3rd away game. Don't get me wrong it's not 100% issue but it is a contributing factor.

But maybe it is ST holders selling on

Well unless everyone who I see weekly in the corporate team are point blank lying to me, the 7% figure is correct.

I think it's much much more likely to be season ticket holders selling them on / giving them to mates. Two of my friends went on someone else's ticket yesterday.

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

Well unless everyone who I see weekly in the corporate team are point blank lying to me, the 7% figure is correct.

I think it's much much more likely to be season ticket holders selling them on / giving them to mates. Two of my friends went on someone else's ticket yesterday.

As soon as it was confirmed there’d not be any ID checks, it was open season for passing tickets on. 

1 minute ago, PCW1983 said:

Agree, but I’d say drink and drugs. 

It’s even reflected in some of the songs I heard…summit about Nick Pope sniffs coke and some other butchered song about 10 bags. 

The only saving grace for me is that I didn’t hear anything about WW2 or anything stupid like that (which I expected to tbh). 

Oh I did 🙄

Some pissed up dickhead chav on the tube shouting at some Dortmund fans that "England won the war" and that we "saved the world from having to speak your horrible language".

3 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Oh I did 🙄

Some pissed up dickhead chav on the tube shouting at some Dortmund fans that "England won the war" and that we "saved the world from having to speak your horrible language".

Not surprised tbh. 

Mind, the tube was mental….its one of the few times in my life where I felt unsafe because of how crushed it was, kids crying, people shouting not to push…it was horrid. 

9 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Oh I did 🙄

@Disco

21 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Oh I did 🙄

It's embarrassing but that's happened anytime we've played in Germany tbf and even Switzerland (Basel - I remember a lot of No Surrender chants). You will always get dickheads I think there are just more forums where people can raise it / complain about it. The dickheads are often emboldened and their xenophobia heightened by travel so people who haven't been away in Europe may have not seen the uglier right wing side of our fanbase before. Having said that I heard younguns chanting an unrepeatable song about Peter Beardsley and the alleged reason for his dismissal at Wolves - I challenged them to be told it wasn't racist and just a "frisk". I shook my head and walked off - you can't reason with coke fuelled idiots in my experience.

5 hours ago, Wandy said:

It's happening mainly because the ticketing has been handled shambolically this season. A system has been created whereby people who were nowhere to be seen two years ago are now getting tickets ahead of those who have been going for years through all of the hard times.

I have some sympathy for the hierarchy at the moment. The club has become an absolute monster again, like the 90s on speed, and it must be bewildering for them trying to keep up with the progress. But this cannot continue, & by the start of next season this has to be sorted. A proper loyalty system need to be in place for away matches so that dedicated away fans get priority over johnny-come-latelys who go for a day on the piss. And the ballot for home games needs binning off, with the queue brought back together with freedom of seat selection. 

This point makes no sense at all. Dortmund sold out at 41 points using a system you are requesting 😆

4 hours ago, Wandy said:

Surely you misheard that? :lol: It’s “Glazers staying 10 more years”….

Lyrics have changed to reflect last Wednesday night.

Kraft & Dummet at the back

Tino on the overlap 

Ritchie staying for 10 more years

Geordie Boys are on the beers…

Just now, Hovagod said:

Is one of the issues not that because we don’t expect to just get twatted now in huge games, nerves and people, you know, watching the match are distracting a bit from the singing?

I think there’s definitely an element of that. I was at the second leg of Barcelona v Liverpool CL semi at anfiekd when Liverpool came back from 3-0 down in the Nou Camp to win 4-0 and go through. What struck me was how calm the crowd were when 1 goal from Barca would have sent them through on away goals . I put it down to being used to success - if that had been us at SJP the crowd wound have been whistling before the 90 mins were up and collectively shitting our pants. 

15 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Is one of the issues not that because we don’t expect to just get twatted now in huge games, nerves and people, you know, watching the match are distracting a bit from the singing?

This is a cracking point like and more "fair enough" than just people being to pissed for example. Actually good if it's more that people are more invested in the match.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Is there not a bit of over-analysis going on too. There was a huge moan about Dortmund at home too, when it was probably just that lots of people were pissing wet.

Theres always been good and bad away ends. Barnsley was unreal in 2009, then I thought it was awful in 2015 despite us filling that big stand on both occasions. 

It feels a bit like some people on Twitter have a grievance about whatever, then try and attach anything not great to it. I even saw ‘too many kitchen sinks’ used by some racist bastard. 

5 hours ago, Vedder said:

After the league cup final, I really wished I'd travelled to London, even without a ticket. Being in Newcastle was OK, just didn't have the build up/atmosphere I was expecting. It kind of felt like a regular match day watching in a pub.

Yeah I went down on the Saturday and had a day/night on the piss with the lads then came back up to Newcastle on the first train to watch it. So glad I made the trip it was one of the best days of my life.

I've mentioned this elsewhere and with how good Spurs/Chelsea was to watch for example.

I know some don't like certain commentstors and Neville can grate on people etc, but I must say in the era of VAR and everything I much prefer watching premier league football in the TV than in the stadium these days.

It's a controversial take and I've never wanted to conform to that "armchair fan" but I've realised the past few weeks/months that its just so much better. You know exactly what's going on, you see things you simply wouldn't see in the stadium, you can follow the game much better and pick up what's happening and if there is a VAR check at least the commentary are doing their best to explain what's happening. Yeah you miss out on the atmosphere, but you can be at home with a few beers and I'm always pretty lively watching games anyway. I went to Wembley for the cup final last year and we lost which obviously didn't help, but the whole experience was just awful, I know Wembley is shit anyway but I'd dreamed of going to watch Newcastle at Wembley for years but when I was there it just felt like I'd rather be at home/the pub. The bars around there are shit, they don't have enough to support 80000+ crowd's and obviously costs are a rip off

I had a Season Ticket from 2008 up until last season, didn't go much last year so sacked it off this year, and now even though we're good now and yhe next few years are going to be amazing, I don't regret it one bit, majority of our matches are on TV now anyway and the odd ones that aren't you can stream or I could get a ticket if I really wanted to. I miss the away days a bit but to be fair there's so many dickheads in away fanbases these days more interested in snorting coke that it ruins it anyway.

I do go and watch my local non league side regularly so I get the live football fix there, and that's brilliant but for Newcastle I just prefer the TV.

Just going back to yesterdays atmosphere (shite from minute 1), compared to the league cup game against Man Utd (phenomenal from minute 1)…

- both evening kick offs

- both massive games

- both decent > good away allocations

- both playing weakened teams

The only difference is:

- far less alcohol / drugs consumed vs Man Utd due to it being a work night, most people driving to and from the game that day.

And the Man Utd game had FAR more day tripper away fans with the 7,000 allocation.

Really think the fans need to take a good hard look at why the hell they bother if all they plan on doing is getting wankered before during the day.

7 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Really think the fans need to take a good hard look at why the hell they bother if all they plan on doing is getting wankered before during the day.

Sadly though with these types of people it extends to most their social activities be it holidays or nights out. UK is basically a high proportion of functioning alcoholics 🤣

Id be hypocritical if I said I’d never done it once when very young but usually once is enough. The state of people the whole trip (all ages) and the behaviour it leads to… 😆

24 minutes ago, NUFCDoog said:

I've mentioned this elsewhere and with how good Spurs/Chelsea was to watch for example.

I know some don't like certain commentstors and Neville can grate on people etc, but I must say in the era of VAR and everything I much prefer watching premier league football in the TV than in the stadium these days.

It's a controversial take and I've never wanted to conform to that "armchair fan" but I've realised the past few weeks/months that its just so much better. You know exactly what's going on, you see things you simply wouldn't see in the stadium, you can follow the game much better and pick up what's happening and if there is a VAR check at least the commentary are doing their best to explain what's happening. Yeah you miss out on the atmosphere, but you can be at home with a few beers and I'm always pretty lively watching games anyway. I went to Wembley for the cup final last year and we lost which obviously didn't help, but the whole experience was just awful, I know Wembley is shit anyway but I'd dreamed of going to watch Newcastle at Wembley for years but when I was there it just felt like I'd rather be at home/the pub. The bars around there are shit, they don't have enough to support 80000+ crowd's and obviously costs are a rip off

I had a Season Ticket from 2008 up until last season, didn't go much last year so sacked it off this year, and now even though we're good now and yhe next few years are going to be amazing, I don't regret it one bit, majority of our matches are on TV now anyway and the odd ones that aren't you can stream or I could get a ticket if I really wanted to. I miss the away days a bit but to be fair there's so many dickheads in away fanbases these days more interested in snorting coke that it ruins it anyway.

I do go and watch my local non league side regularly so I get the live football fix there, and that's brilliant but for Newcastle I just prefer the TV.

I can empathise with this view to some extent like. PL football (and most top flight) is in a lot of ways designed for television viewing rather than in person. VAR is the most obvious manifestation of this. It wouldn't even exist without the hypertelevised nature of football with all the cameras/angles/replays. The result is that the traditional spectator can be completely in the dark with what is going on in the game while the home viewer sees the whole picture.

The reason to go to the game in person is for the atmosphere. But if this is sanitised or underwhelming then the reason for being there in the first place is lost. I was really disappointed by the atmosphere for Dortmund (h) and it really felt like a lot of money for the kind of experience I got out of it. 

I had a season ticket for years of shit, but I don't really massively regret not having it now despite us being much better now. I got used to going to watch lots of non league football and going to see other football home and abroad as a neutral. I don't think I could do this as much if I went to every single home game - and I'm happy to just dip in now and again these days.

9 hours ago, PCW1983 said:

Yeah, it’s traditional. Looking up to the left at the Dortmund fans it looked like safe standing. 

I just meant if we’re to have standing it need much tighter controls around it….and some sensible people. 

Was just bars infront of the seats in the upper tiers as it was canny steep. They have the same at Mestalla etc. Yellow Wall is fairly crash barrier free compared to the safe standing we have at SJP. 

This is about 45 mins after the game:IMG_1296.thumb.jpeg.a1bdd3ac41af850a15a9c77e8a9abf2c.jpeg

4 hours ago, TBG said:
4 hours ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Oh I did 🙄

@Disco

They weren’t wearing poppies either. Disgusting.

52 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Just going back to yesterdays atmosphere (shite from minute 1), compared to the league cup game against Man Utd (phenomenal from minute 1)…

- both evening kick offs

- both massive games

- both decent > good away allocations

- both playing weakened teams

The only difference is:

- far less alcohol / drugs consumed vs Man Utd due to it being a work night, most people driving to and from the game that day.

And the Man Utd game had FAR more day tripper away fans with the 7,000 allocation.

Agree to disagree mate but it’s easier for the younguns to go to OT than Dortmund and we’ve always had a drunken away following - Antwerp away in the KK days and Bilbao were something else. We’ve also had the oldest average age of season ticket holders in the PL. 

I’m not quite sure what point I’m trying to make but to misquote Homer Simpson “Never blame the drink”.

For all regular attendees you can’t deny we have a different mix of people (rightly or wrongly) at aways compared to previous years. 

50 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I can empathise with this view to some extent like. PL football (and most top flight) is in a lot of ways designed for television viewing rather than in person. VAR is the most obvious manifestation of this. It wouldn't even exist without the hypertelevised nature of football with all the cameras/angles/replays. The result is that the traditional spectator can be completely in the dark with what is going on in the game while the home viewer sees the whole picture.

The reason to go to the game in person is for the atmosphere. But if this is sanitised or underwhelming then the reason for being there in the first place is lost. I was really disappointed by the atmosphere for Dortmund (h) and it really felt like a lot of money for the kind of experience I got out of it. 

I had a season ticket for years of shit, but I don't really massively regret not having it now despite us being much better now. I got used to going to watch lots of non league football and going to see other football home and abroad as a neutral. I don't think I could do this as much if I went to every single home game - and I'm happy to just dip in now and again these days.

Yeah reason for going in person is the atmosphere, unfortunately a lot don’t want to participate in creating it these days.

Think I’ve finally accepted it’s changed for good and doubt I’ll be back again for a long time.

Edited by Whitley mag

Overhead a conversation in the airport today. “Load of dickheads go now so i’m not going to go as much. But we used to be those dickheads and we just don’t like the new ones doing it”. Thought that summed it up quite well.

15 minutes ago, Bellis80 said:

Overhead a conversation in the airport today. “Load of dickheads go now so i’m not going to go as much. But we used to be those dickheads and we just don’t like the new ones doing it”. Thought that summed it up quite well.

That’s spot on. You get older you shake your head at the laughing gas balloons and bags of toot / ket all over the shop, the overpriced clothes and youthful machismo / bravado  but if you’re honest we were the same in the 80s/90s/00s .. there just wasn’t the preening and posturing for insta likes which does a lot of us middle aged old bastards heeds in