Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

5 minutes ago, Jordan said:

I despise the ballot system but I don’t think it’s that element of the ticketing thats effecting the atmosphere, it’s the auto allocation of seats. People who make noise could sit/stand together if they could pick their seats. 

This

1. Make the Gallowgate the offical "if you buy a ticket here you're part of the radgies, so expect lots of singing, shouting, standing and shitting" section. 
  2. Let people buying matchday tickets choose where they sit
  3. Crack down on digital transfers of matchday tickets
  4. Stop the random corporate seats outside of the platinum club, or lob them up in L7
  5. Blood samples and blowtorch check to make sure nee randoms are getting in

I was up in Level 7 and it was absolutely dreadful. Even more baffling considering the result and the performance and that it was against one of the so called "big 6". Clearly a smattering of away fans up there and people in front of us videoing Chelseas free kicks (the one they scored from and also the one right at the start of the 2nd half).

The random ballot has totally fucked what atmosphere we had. You've got frustrated people who want to sing being put in quiet sections surrounded by mutes and the opposite is also the case where quieter fans are being put in noisier areas so those sections are becoming diluted (Gallowgate, Leazes East corner prime examples).

A 4-1 win against Chelsea should never be played in an atmosphere like that was yesterday.

1 hour ago, bobbydazzla said:

100% don’t want everyone to be like me. if that’s how you’ve interpreted my post then you misunderstood.

We should have the broadest spectrum of genuine fans in the ground 

But when we can’t choose where to sit we’ve got primary school kids in Safe Standing and blokes who want to stand and be vocal sat in sections with old gadgies who want to sit quietly and so on 

Personally I want to stand and be vocal, but now I can rarely get seats in areas where that’s possible due to the ballot and random allocation

And on the flip side we’ve had comments about parents with kids ending up in Strawberry Corner and having an awful experience due to the language

Multiply by hundreds or thousands of people and it’s contributing to a consistently flat atmosphere

And the owners have now realised there’s an issue 

Those things have always happened especially at times of high demand. The ballot system will change, it already has but no one is going to be able to pick their ideal seat if they do t already have it and quute frankly listening to some, if they'd rather not go if it means sitting somewhere they deem a bit sanitised then dont go, I really can't understand that, especially now. If I didn't have my ST I'd happily sit in the worst seat in the house just to be there.

Edited by madras

7 minutes ago, madras said:

Those things have always happened especially at times of high demand. The ballot system will change, it already has but no one is going to be able to pick their ideal seat if they do t already have it and quute frankly listening to some, if they'd rather not go if it means sitting somewhere they deem a bit sanitised then dont go, I really can't understand that, especially now. If I didn't have my ST I'd happily sit in the worst seat in the house just to be there.

This just reeks of “I’m a better fan cos I’m just grateful to be there” which is, quite frankly, bollocks. People should have a reasonable choice of where to sit, within a few blocks of seats.

Until this season a system was in place that worked well, allowing people to chose their location. So let’s not have any nonsense about nobody being able to pick their ideal seat in a stadium.

21 minutes ago, madras said:

That’s your prerogative to just be grateful to be in the ground, but it’s not applicable to everyone 

And as you’ve got an ST that presumably you’re happy with the location of, you’re not having to experience how shit it can be for members paying £45+ to be lobbed into a different part of the ground for every game 

If your season ticket seat was moved to a different part of the ground every game how would you feel ? 

Edited by bobbydazzla

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

This just reeks of “I’m a better fan cos I’m just grateful to be there” which is, quite frankly, bollocks. People should have a reasonable choice of where to sit, within a few blocks of seats.

Until this season a system was in place that worked well, allowing people to chose their location. So let’s not have any nonsense about nobody being able to pick their ideal seat in a stadium.

I know plenty who ended up all over  game by game and just took what they could. Also as I've  said, the system will change, it already has but you have to remember, we aren't a local club anymore, "day trippers" will come, we now have a world wide catchment so much more toutable and many of those, in my experience complaining most are those who'd use mates tickets etc. 

I do t think it's the ballots etc to blame for the atmosphere (which I don't thinknis that bad anyway) as much as all seater stadia as it seems to be a thing at all Premier leafue grounds.

3 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

That’s your prerogative

And as you’ve got an ST that presumably you’re happy with the location of, you’re not having to experience how shit it can be for members paying £45+ to be lobbed into a different part of the ground for every game 

If your season ticket seat was moved to a different part of the ground every game how would you feel ? 

At the minute providing I got in and the seat was reflected in the price I'd be ok.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

At the minute providing I got in and the seat was reflected in the price I'd be ok.

Ok. You give me your season ticket and I’ll let you have my ballot / resale tickets

I manage to get a ticket for every game so you’re guaranteed to get in, you just can’t choose where to sit

Fancy it ? 

Edited by bobbydazzla

Just now, bobbydazzla said:

Ok. You give me your season ticket and I’ll let you have my ballot / resale tickets

I manage to get a ticket for every game so you’re guaranteed to get in, you just can’t choose where to sit

Fancy it ? 

No because I don't have to, that's not the choice. If the choice is your situation or not going, I'd snap your hands off. 

BTW I'm in the family section L7..... do YOU still want that swap?

8 minutes ago, madras said:

I know plenty who ended up all over  game by game and just took what they could. Also as I've  said, the system will change, it already has but you have to remember, we aren't a local club anymore, "day trippers" will come, we now have a world wide catchment so much more toutable and many of those, in my experience complaining most are those who'd use mates tickets etc. 

I do t think it's the ballots etc to blame for the atmosphere (which I don't thinknis that bad anyway) as much as all seater stadia as it seems to be a thing at all Premier leafue grounds.

Having day-trippers at the ground wouldn’t be a problem if we had a ground big enough to accommodate them. The problem is that the club have brought in this kind of system far too early into the project. But a ballot system that does not give the chance to choose your own seat location needs to binned off and has no place at a football stadium. 

6 minutes ago, madras said:

No because I don't have to, that's not the choice. If the choice is your situation or not going, I'd snap your hands off. 

BTW I'm in the family section L7..... do YOU still want that swap?

Would I have to take your kid(s) and is it Ok to swear around them ? 

And will they expect a hot dog and some pop  

Edited by bobbydazzla

Two thirds of the stadium is season tickets, feels a bit weird that the dialogue around atmosphere always only concentrates on the ballot tickets. :dontknow:

Edited by Pata

4 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Would I have to take your kid(s) and is it Ok to swear around them ? 

And will they expect a hot dog and some pop  

The ticket has now been moved on (she now works in the stadium) to a friend of the family and his grandfather now has it while the youngsters is at Uni........and they'd have taught you some new swear words and would expect alcohol at HT.

There's a good few up there had kids tickets but are now early 20s.

Edited by madras

3 minutes ago, Pata said:

Two thirds of the stadium is season tickets, feels a bit weird that the dialogue around atmosphere always only concentrates on the ballot tickets. :dontknow:

Agree, even if everyone could select their seats most people would be the same place they are now. 

1 minute ago, madras said:

The ticket has now been moved on (she now works in the stadium) to a friend of the family and his grandfather now has it while the youngsters is at Uni........and they'd have taught you some new swear words and would expect alcohol at HT.

Impossible, I know and regularly use every single swear word 

Most clubs seem to have a large hardcore of fans which stand at home, regardless of whether there’s railed seating or not.

Our support just reeks of fair weather types who just rock up and aren’t really arsed, I include season ticket holders in this, a large proportion sat like mutes during the Ashley reign happy just for an afternoon out.

The away support is also on its knees now with pitiful atmospheres in Milan and Dortmund.

I’ve seen every excuse rolled out in this thread re nerves, folk to pissed and even being tired walking to the top tier in the San Siro.

There might be some mitigating factors such as the random ballot system, but the truth in the main is our support is a myth and just not really that good these days.

Edited by Whitley mag

I sit in the Gallowgate and the atmosphere was good in my opinion (as it always is) especially second half obviously. It did start off a bit quiet but I think that’s largely down to there not being a huge amount of positivity pre match. Crowd seemed a little on edge. After the goal it was markedly better.
I don’t really know what Mehrdad’s on about. Possibly he’s meaning more in a general sense and I of course would agree with that. Thing is there’s so many tickets go to ballots and you never get the same group of people going and sitting together which has a detrimental effect on the atmosphere. If they wanted to, things could be put in place to help improve the atmosphere but that’s more on them and their ticketing system in my opinion. 

10 minutes ago, NUFC_Chris said:

I sit in the Gallowgate and the atmosphere was good in my opinion (as it always is) especially second half obviously. It did start off a bit quiet but I think that’s largely down to there not being a huge amount of positivity pre match. Crowd seemed a little on edge. After the goal it was markedly better.
I don’t really know what Mehrdad’s on about. Possibly he’s meaning more in a general sense and I of course would agree with that. Thing is there’s so many tickets go to ballots and you never get the same group of people going and sitting together which has a detrimental effect on the atmosphere. If they wanted to, things could be put in place to help improve the atmosphere but that’s more on them and their ticketing system in my opinion. 

I’ve got a pal who knows Mehrdad, his reason for posting about atmosphere was to attempt to “galvanise the support”. Those are Mehrdad’s own words to my pal

Mehrdad’s basically thinking the players are working really hard and delivering great results, the atmosphere should be better

And because fans are feeling pissed off about ballots, allocated seating and the change in away tickets, that’s what fans have jumped on to vent frustration 

Edited by bobbydazzla

the atmosphere could be a lot better, but the owners should be the last people complaining. they’ve done absolutely nothing to help the situation.

they’re the ones who can implement changes such as more safe standing and the ability for people to pick where they sit in order to group like minded fans together.