Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

OK as a few of you will know I regularly travel over the North Sea to watch PSV Eindhoven play. Was there yesterday and the one thing that always jumps out to me is how different the demographic of their fanbase is to ours. That's the 100% biggest problem at SJP and I honestly don't see a solution to it.

Sat outside a bar yesterday watching all the other supporters walking past us and it was a massive majority of large groups of lads in their 20s and 30s. Admittedly the overwhelming choice of clothing was Stone Island and at first glance "football hooligans" is probably the first thing that would enter your head (very rarely see any bother there mind although away fans aren't allowed to drink in the City centre so you never see any) but generally it's large groups of younger males who like a bit bounce about, daft carry on, and a sing song who make up a large part of their support.

Compare to an average home game here and it's predominantly men and women in their 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s  who make up a large amount of the fanbase. Typically these don't enjoy a bit bounce around (they don't even like standing at the match) or a sing song. They want to sit there, arms folded and to be entertained.

That's how it is here now. All seater ST culture and high ticket prices have driven us to where we are these days and the unfortunate reality us that there is no going back. The other 19 PL clubs all have the same problem however. It's an English problem, not one that's specifically ours.

A new stadium might help out for the first few seasons with the novelty factor but then it would sink into the same malaise that SJP finds itself in today I reckon.

2 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

OK as a few of you will know I regularly travel over the North Sea to watch PSV Eindhoven play. Was there yesterday and the one thing that always jumps out to me is how different the demographic of their fanbase is to ours. That's the 100% biggest problem at SJP and I honestly don't see a solution to it.

Sat outside a bar yesterday watching all the other supporters walking past us and it was a massive majority of large groups of lads in their 20s and 30s. Admittedly the overwhelming choice of clothing was Stone Island and at first glance "football hooligans" is probably the first thing that would enter your head (very rarely see any bother there mind although away fans aren't allowed to drink in the City centre so you never see any) but generally it's large groups of younger males who like a bit bounce about, daft carry on, and a sing song who make up a large part of their support.

Compare to an average home game here and it's predominantly men and women in their 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s  who make up a large amount of the fanbase. Typically these don't enjoy a bit bounce around (they don't even like standing at the match) or a sing song. They want to sit there, arms folded and to be entertained.

That's how it is here now. All seater ST culture and high ticket prices have driven us to where we are these days and the unfortunate reality us that there is no going back. The other 19 PL clubs all have the same problem however. It's an English problem, not one that's specifically ours.

A new stadium might help out for the first few seasons with the novelty factor but then it would sink into the same malaise that SJP finds itself in today I reckon.

Doubt it would happen for a variety of reasons but having a stand which had more affordable tickets pitched at younger supporters (say 25 or younger) would enable a proportion of our support to attend, who are currently priced out, and probably lead to the kind Gallowgate corner, and previously Scoreboard, or before that Leazes,  volume and passion we grew-up with. 
Anyway, any new capacity could be distributed in a way—if there is the will to do so— so that we make space for and cluster ‘the loud’  somewhere; irrespective of age. 

4 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Doubt it would happen for a variety of reasons but having a stand which had more affordable tickets pitched at younger supporters (say 25 or younger) would enable a proportion of our support to attend, who are currently priced out, and probably lead to the kind Gallowgate corner, and previously Scoreboard, or before that Leazes,  volume and passion we grew-up with. 
Anyway, any new capacity could be distributed in a way—if there is the will to do so— so that we make space for and cluster ‘the loud’  somewhere; irrespective of age. 

Again that's another thing that PSV do. So you have the usual family section that you get everywhere, then they have the East Side and NE Corner which is for their more lively element but then you have another Corner which you can only buy a season ticket in if you were born after 30th June 2005, so essentially it's a section for U21s. Unsurprisingly that part is also pretty boisterous and makes good noise. Season ticket in there costs €205 so basically €12 per game or just over a tenner in our money.

There's loads more we could be doing here, that's Newcastle and England generally, but sadly I think the ship has probably already sailed.

18 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

I think most people would probably say that’s all very true.

And most of us would also say we don’t really have any viable solutions on how to do something about it.

If that talk of extending to 65k is correct, no reason why the club couldn't do something like a 3k section for people looking to create an atmosphere. Almost like an away end within the home end. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If that talk of extending to 65k is correct, no reason why the club couldn't do something like a 3k section for people looking to create an atmosphere. Almost like an away end within the home end. 

Yeah, they could, and probably should, but that will involve moving people, or changing another section to safe standing, and we know that will cause a degree of friction.

But they’ll just have to deal with that.

I can guarantee the club has no interest in increasing the number of fans making noise or adding to atmosphere. Sad state of affairs but they actively want a sterile tourist atmosphere and it will continue to be seen anecdotally over the months and years to come, and statistically as soon as a broader shift has had the time or capacity to implement. 

Problem being with a Gallowgate extension, my real fear is we’ll see more corporate seating, as what has been done at the Leazes End.

I noticed the new Anfield Road expansion has corporate seats right at front of new tier, hardly conducive to helping the atmosphere.

Take the low roof off the current Gallowgate and mirror the Leazes End and the place is truly fucked.

Edited by Whitley mag

5 minutes ago, PRL said:

I can guarantee the club has no interest in increasing the number of fans making noise or adding to atmosphere. Sad state of affairs but they actively want a sterile tourist atmosphere and it will continue to be seen anecdotally over the months and years to come, and statistically as soon as a broader shift has had the time or capacity to implement. 

But that’s a self defeating prophecy.

Tourists (or whatever you want to call them) want to attend because of the (perceived) atmosphere. No atmosphere = no tourists.

Not to mention an improved atmosphere contributing to better on pitch performances.

This doesn't necessarily apply to Newcastle but I've found myself becoming increasingly disillusioned about the growing amount of discourse re fans wanting/deserving to be entertained.

Of course that notion has always been there to some extent, but usually it was more of a synonym for watching your team try really hard, and to revel in some escapism after the drudge of the working week. It's different now, it's meant more literally as 'entertainment' comparable to other events. 

Football matches aren't concerts or stand-up performances - I'm afraid you roll the dice when you buy a ticket. The objective of the 'performers' you're observing at a football match is not to thrill and excite an audience - their objective is to get results. If they thrill/excite along the way then that is merely a bonus.

Just can't abide the sense of entitlement. You've no right to demand to be entertained and if your expectations are based on the entry fee then, frankly, you're fucking stupid. If you want a better guarantee of entertainment then go and do something else that is better refined to your tastes. 

It's a symptom of the PL product becoming more and more sterilised each year. The gap widening with everyone being told to stay in their lane, the invention of the celebration police, mobile phones being a 'go to' when there's a lull, general society in 2024 - people my age (36) and younger have been brought up to be spoon fed sheep. People of my age in the 90's and 00's were completely different beings and we just don't treat football like they used to.

It's just where we're at, we're not the only fans having these conversations. 

5 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

It's a symptom of the PL product becoming more and more sterilised each year. The gap widening with everyone being told to stay in their lane, the invention of the celebration police, mobile phones being a 'go to' when there's a lull, general society in 2024 - people my age (36) and younger have been brought up to be spoon fed sheep. People of my age in the 90's and 00's were completely different beings and we just don't treat football like they used to.

Don't believe the hype. As someone that was there from the 70s  onwards the atmosphere was often poor unless you were in the middle of it. 

Edited by madras

1 hour ago, SteV said:

But that’s a self defeating prophecy.

Tourists (or whatever you want to call them) want to attend because of the (perceived) atmosphere. No atmosphere = no tourists.

Not to mention an improved atmosphere contributing to better on pitch performances.

I agree completely with your theory.

But then you watch a Man City game and it's so quiet you can hear the players shouting to each other.

And the giant LED boards and flashing LED stairs constantly distract your eyesight from the pitch.

And the announcer shouting players names as they get off the team bus makes you cringe.

And the Tunnel Club just feels daft, watching players line up from behind the glass like they're animals in a zoo.

But the tourists still lap it up in their front row seats, filming it all on their phones whilst sitting in silence proudly wearing their 1/2 & 1/2 Manchester derby scarves.

Edited by bobbydazzla

4 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I had a random in front of me at the man city game taking selfies for about 15 mins, the game kicked off and he as scrolling through all his pics.

The holiday makers need to be placed up in level 7. 

1 hour ago, SteV said:

Yeah, they could, and probably should, but that will involve moving people, or changing another section to safe standing, and we know that will cause a degree of friction.

But they’ll just have to deal with that.

Couldn't they just use the new areas for this? Would people wanting a singing area be that arsed about where it is? More likely to be prepared to do so than the "why should I shift?" brigade.

Would never happen but would be good if the club shut the bars until bang on half time. Might stop people fucking off in the 35th minute for a pint. 

Edit: wouldn’t make a difference to the atmosphere but it’s embarrassing seeing people flooding down 

Edited by Danh1

44 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Would never happen but would be good if the club shut the bars until bang on half time. Might stop people fucking off in the 35th minute for a pint. 

Edit: wouldn’t make a difference to the atmosphere but it’s embarrassing seeing people flooding down 

They used to years back.  You couldn't get served until the HT whistle blew.

2 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

I agree completely with your theory.

But then you watch a Man City game and it's so quiet you can hear the players shouting to each other.

And the giant LED boards and flashing LED stairs constantly distract your eyesight from the pitch.

And the announcer shouting players names as they get off the team bus makes you cringe.

And the Tunnel Club just feels daft, watching players line up from behind the glass like they're animals in a zoo.

But the tourists still lap it up in their front row seats, filming it all on their phones whilst sitting in silence proudly wearing their 1/2 & 1/2 Manchester derby scarves.

Yeah, maybe incredible success on the pitch, and superstar players, is enough to attract ‘tourists’, regardless of atmosphere.

If we were to encourage younger supporters into the ground they absolutely have to be able to gather together in large numbers

An 18 year old won't achieve much atmosphere by winning a single ticket in a ballot and getting told to shut up and sit down by miserable old codgers who've sat in the same seat for 30 years

3 hours ago, NG32 said:

I had a random in front of me at the man city game taking selfies for about 15 mins, the game kicked off and he as scrolling through all his pics.

The holiday makers need to be placed up in level 7. 

Middle-aged woman on her own next to me at the front of the Gallowgate was playing games on her phone for most of the game.

3 hours ago, Danh1 said:

Also with the amount of injury time nowadays why do people leave at the same time.

2 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Also with the amount of injury time nowadays why do people leave at the same time.

Would hazard a guess it’s about catching a certain bus/metro for some just to beat the rush. I’d charge them to exit the ground early or at least make them swipe out so records are kept and they get put into the upper tier regardless of their preference when new ground is built.

42 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Would hazard a guess it’s about catching a certain bus/metro for some just to beat the rush. I’d charge them to exit the ground early or at least make them swipe out so records are kept and they get put into the upper tier regardless of their preference when new ground is built.

I'm talking about the first half as well.

1 hour ago, Earp said:

Middle-aged woman on her own next to me at the front of the Gallowgate was playing games on her phone for most of the game.

Jesus wept [emoji38]