"We Are Newcastle United" on Amazon Prime

Nobody

Some thoughts about what was covered: Staveley is the main character and I've no issue with that; the whole club is indebted to her for her persistence during thoses four years and she continues to be, quite clearly, an incredibly savvy operator. Longstaff is a diamond and that Southampton coverage was emotional, it's just a pity they didn't capture Burn against Leicester. Shearer sounds half asleep throughout. I really enjoyed the fact that I didn't recognise any of the fans in the various voxpops as I expected to see some of the usual suspects. I hate Liverpool. 

4 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Anybody spoken to anybody who isn't already a Newcastle fan to see what they thought?

Not a true neutral but my other half loved it and loves Staveley, and revelled in slagging off Jamie Reuben for his half-hearted rendition of "he's one of our own." :lol:

In all seriousness I can't see how it could be rated by anyone not of a Newcastle persuasion. It's NUFCTV with an Amazon budget and no terrified child interviewers. 

3 hours ago, Hovagod said:

Not sure if you’re talking to me, but to bring up Amnesty International and then dismiss their concerns as ‘rubbish’ is poor. Like I say, if it’s going to be this glossy feel good thing then fine, but I would prefer they didn’t mention the issue at all in that case.

This isn't what was said. Staveley says "at the beginning the big issue was that they (critics) said PIF was the Saudi state... which is absolute rubbish". Yasir then says "some journalists really don't understand what PIF is". 

Then Staveley: "We had pushback obviously from Amnesty International. Everyone wanted to talk about human rights and they didn't want to talk about anything else. So we've worked really hard to address the concerns that people have". 

Not saying that's a great deal better like but nobody dismissed Amnesty International's concerns as "rubbish". 

I thought it was just okay like. Would have liked about 75% more football content rather than all the shmoozing, but understand why it's the way it is. Gutted that the screen with the list of potential targets behind Ashworth was out of focus :lol:

3 hours ago, Hovagod said:

Not sure if you’re talking to me, but to bring up Amnesty International and then dismiss their concerns as ‘rubbish’ is poor. Like I say, if it’s going to be this glossy feel good thing then fine, but I would prefer they didn’t mention the issue at all in that case.

Club's official line (Staveley and Al-rumayyan both mention it) is that PIF is separate to the Saudi state, so they did address it. 

Most of the episode felt like getting ready for when the cameras really started rolling.

my main bits of interest were:

- Anything with Al Rummayan in

- Darren Eales showing some research that the successful clubs have the biggest player wage budgets - but Al Rummayan telling him to not forget the manager. Now compare this to Lee Charnley’s research.

- Staveley asking PIF to approve an extra £5m for AG via their head of European investment - and getting denied 

Not sure how it works, but presumably they do a thing with all the players and use according to narrative? So if Longstaff had not scored those goals in the cup we maybe would have seen a different player meet school kids or whatever?

2 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Not sure how it works, but presumably they do a thing with all the players and use according to narrative? So if Longstaff had not scored those goals in the cup we maybe would have seen a different player meet school kids or whatever?

Yeah was thinking this. Maybe some players were disappointed not to make the cut!! 

I thought it was canny meh. I absolutely love shit like this, but felt it wasn't anything we hadn't seen before. hopefully it picks up a bit. would like more focus on the dressing room and interaction between the players. give us a proper peak behind the curtain, I couldn't care less about our management team or what our super fans think.

3 minutes ago, Big River said:

I thought it was canny meh. I absolutely love shit like this, but felt it wasn't anything we hadn't seen before. hopefully it picks up a bit. would like more focus on the dressing room and interaction between the players. give us a proper peak behind the curtain, I couldn't care less about our management team or what our super fans think.

Think you’re expecting a bit too much considering they said it would focus on the operating element of things more than the playing side. 

The only whiff I had of any trouble in paradise where there was a bit of tension in the room was when Staveley was about to make a phone call (to Ashworth?) and Eales said "think about what you're going to say" and Staveley snapped back "I know what I'm going to say" :lol:

5 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

The only whiff I had of any trouble in paradise where there was a bit of tension in the room was when Staveley was about to make a phone call (to Ashworth?) and Eales said "think about what you're going to say" and Staveley snapped back "I know what I'm going to say" :lol:

Think she was phoning Everton wasn’t she?

7 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Think the call was to Everton ?

I enjoyed it loved the family feel the club has from top to bottom they all seemed a great bunch and you can see why players join us with mehrdad amanda eddie and Dan with there warmth towards there targets. 

16 minutes ago, mattypnufc said:

Think you’re expecting a bit too much considering they said it would focus on the operating element of things more than the playing side. 

aye, possibly.

14 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

that was Merhdad wasn't it?

Aye, call to Everton and most likely Merhdad but judging that on the headless figure's gut not being big enough to belong to Eales. Eales appears to be sitting down chilling. 

Makes more sense if it's husband and wife semi-bickering :)

Edited by Interpolic

Found it hard to watch; the pretence that it's not staged made it cringeworthy for me and the completely forced narrative about Longstaff's performance felt laboured and cheap. Thought it was, all-round, poor television and the latest example of empty, replicant stock content for sake of sales and nothing else. 

Glad we did it for the money but don't think I'll watch the rest.

9 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Found it hard to watch; the pretence that it's not staged made it cringeworthy for me and the completely forced narrative about Longstaff's performance felt laboured and cheap. Thought it was, all-round, poor television and the latest example of empty, replicant stock content for sake of sales and nothing else. 

Glad we did it for the money but don't think I'll watch the rest.