"We Are Newcastle United" on Amazon Prime

Nobody

1 minute ago, JackieDoor said:

Is it just me who doesn't really care about all this?

I'm one for keeping these things in house, don't think Howe was particularly happy about it all.

If it raises the clubs profile for the right reasons then I'm OK with it.

To get to where we want, I can't see us doing it without becoming a worldwide brand and this is part of it.

38 minutes ago, christ said:

“Found it hard to watch.” :lol:

It’s not an ISIS execution video you wet blanket, although with our owners…

I mean it literally, at times I found myself looking away because I thought it was so contrived. Not really to do with "sports washing" etc, just thought it was fucking dreadful, paint-by-numbers auto-content telly. 

The bits where Staveley tries to explain the difference between the PIF and KSA by listing them as separate nouns and nothing else and where they pretend that setting the parameters for the Gordon deal in that meeting room was off the cuff stood out as particularly ridiculous. In terms of linear narrative, a complete absence of any information about why the Mike Ashley era was so bad was questionable (unless their assumption is that nobody other than Newcastle fans will watch, which would seem weird).

1 hour ago, Hovagod said:

I watched a bit of the Burnley one, and are they not, all of these things, just exactly the same. Lingering shots of city,  kids on an unkempt field wearing replica shirts and playing an unconvincing game of Three and in. Grey streets and moody acoustic soundtrack.  A pub and its weathered, seen it all landlord. A fan in their fifties in their kitchen in front of frosted mirror bought in the club shop filling in the exposition. Behind the scenes bits one bit candid to three bits staged. 

I only watched half an episode. Tbh I liked the unmoving shot of the Owner after relegation. That was real and candid. He was putting the brave face on but you could see he was absolutely gutted.  And they just kept the camera on him. 

Nothing in our doc is as candid. 

Im not complaining btw. I liked the show. I just liked the others Better (Spurs and Arsenal specifically- Burnley one I’ve not watched properly).  

Edited by The College Dropout

26 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

I mean it literally, at times I found myself looking away because I thought it was so contrived. Not really to do with "sports washing" etc, just thought it was fucking dreadful, paint-by-numbers auto-content telly. 

The bits where Staveley tries to explain the difference between the PIF and KSA by listing them as separate nouns and nothing else and where they pretend that setting the parameters for the Gordon deal in that meeting room was off the cuff stood out as particularly ridiculous. In terms of linear narrative, a complete absence of any information about why the Mike Ashley era was so bad was questionable (unless their assumption is that nobody other than Newcastle fans will watch, which would seem weird).

Shearer said on the voiceover we'd gone through 2 relegations and 10 managers under the previous owner. But yes that was about it re context around Ashley. If you're expecting every element of NUFC's past and present to be represented in detail here you'll be disappointed. It is 4 episodes long and targeted at a mass audience. 

A basketball fan would have to tell me if the content frustrated them but I enjoyed the The Last Dance more than practically anything else I've ever seen on Netflix. With barely a passing interest in basketball, I didn't find my lack of knowledge challenged at any stage of that. I'd assume they could have gone into great detail about technical aspects of the games for example that would have been lost on me as a casual viewer, and I'd imagine the same applies here. 

Edited by Interpolic

25 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Linear narratives are over rated. 

Just now, Interpolic said:

Shearer said on the voiceover we'd gone through 2 relegations and 10 managers under the previous owner. But yes that was about it re context around Ashley. If you're expecting every element of NUFC's past and present to be represented in detail here you'll be disappointed. It is 4 episodes long and targeted at a mass audience. 

A basketball fan would have to tell me if the content frustrated them but I enjoyed the The Last Dance more than practically anything else I've ever seen on Netflix. With barely a passing interest in basketball, I didn't find my lack of knowledge challenged at any stage of that. I'd assume they could have gone into great detail about technical aspects of the games that would have been lost on me as a casual viewer. 

I loved the Last Dance, brilliant. 

I watched the equivalent documentary on the Maple Leafs. I constantly had to text my girlfriend (Canadian)'s brother to get background info. You are correct to correct me because there was a bullet point summary as you say, but I would have liked, for example, a few lowlights; fans giving an opinion; players saying how bleak it was etc - maybe like 5 mins? Just think it made their arrival feel flat to the casual viewer.

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

Yasir is such an interesting guy. So many layers and levels to the guy. He's so welcoming and open, but he's steely as well. The correction on how big PIF would be had me in absolute stitches. 

Amanda and Mehrdad are just such loveable people but their coordination and savvy is really impressive - both are tremendous operators - excellent conduits between PIF and the club executives and management team. 

I thought exactly the same about Yasir as I was watching. He seems so approachable and warm but must be a ruthless steely savvy guy to have so much responsibility on his shoulders especially as he’s relatively young, very interesting bloke

Just now, kingxlnc said:

I thought exactly the same about Yasir as I was watching. He seems so approachable and warm but must be a ruthless steely savvy guy to have so much responsibility on his shoulders especially as he’s relatively young, very interesting bloke

Yasir absolutely loves sport, man. He's obssesed with it. It's the only reason why PIF are going all in on sport IMO. 

5 hours ago, OpenC said:

Anybody spoken to anybody who isn't already a Newcastle fan to see what they thought?

My older brother dislikes football but when I visit we are able to engage in some conversations because he had heard of Eddie Howe, and had an interest in the issue of how much of a difference a manager could make. I played him that clip of Eddie’s team talk before the Man U game and he was genuinely taken aback. ‘I can see what you’re on about now’ was his response.

If I had been a player in that dressing room I would be going out to face Man  U not hoping I was going to win, but believing it. There’s something in Eddie’s personality or presence that creates confidence. 

Fortunately it’s not something that can be copied because it comes from deep inside the man. But I respect and approve of Eddie’s desire for privacy, on many levels.

I’m surprised that so many on here are disappointed with the show. The people running the club came over well. I guess the test will come if things go off beam a bit, but hopefully the relationships that have been forged now are strong enough to deal with any crisis.

57 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

There has to be a middle ground though. An extra 6 vague sentences with accompanying archive footage would've done the trick.

Milburn lifting cups, Keegan and 12 points, Asprilla and Barcelona, Bobby Robson's international respect, 5th biggest turnover in the world 20-odd years ago, times change, 10 managers and 2 relegations. Job done.

I would think that's surely more captivating, and explanatory of the jeopardy and opportunity, to a complete outsider.

Edited by 80

6 minutes ago, 80 said:

There has to be a middle ground though. An extra 6 vague sentences with accompanying archive footage would've done the trick.

Millburn lifting cups, Keegan and 12 points, Asprilla and Barcelona, Bobby Robson's international respect, 5th biggest turnover in the world 20-odd years ago, times change, 10 managers and 2 relegations. Job done.

Fair enough, I mean I would have much preferred to see that yeah - I don't know if it's 100% necessary though.