"We Are Newcastle United" on Amazon Prime

Nobody

14 minutes ago, Hot Since 1882 said:

Lesser spotted Tindall and Howe -17 of League 2

Watched that a while ago. Whilst he's improved & developed his coaching ethos you can see the core of the bloke in this. 

Great watch. 

1 hour ago, Hot Since 1882 said:

Lesser spotted Tindall and Howe -17 of League 2 

Anyone that has 90mins of their time - watch this before the second episode!

During his interview Eddie played them this video. The rest is history. Such a strong determined individual. Our gaffa! :smitten:

Enjoyed it but I thought the fans were worse than the owners like with the cliched shit

"Geordie Nation"
"If we win, the country will never have seen a response like up north"

Shit like that makes us look ridiculous.

6 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Jonathan Pearce doing the commentary for the Honey Monster's goal and now on this for our older footage. Mag.

Commentary that isn't iconic always throws me like. Pearce commentating over Albert's goal and not Martin Tyler just isn't right.

5 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Loved that episode like.

I, personally, love the passion of Amanda and co and I have absolutely no fucking clue what @Jimburst is on about. Smacks of “I hate them because they’re different to me” to me.

Indeed...albeit living in a different world to the majority of us, they (Merhdad and Amanda particularly) come across well.  Darren Eales too.  Peter Silverstone is a typical CFO corporate bore though. 

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

You could just both be missing the PR bullshit detector gene like. 

Of course it’s PR. Doesn’t mean they’re not genuine people though.

Their reactions at games are not staged one bit. (I’ve sat 5 rows in front of them before… I know how they react)

It is actually possible for someone with a lot of money / power to still be a nice genuine person, that’s all I’m saying.

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

Of course it’s PR. Doesn’t mean they’re not genuine people though.

Their reactions at games are not staged one bit. (I’ve sat 5 rows in front of them before… I know how they react)

It is actually possible for someone with a lot of money / power to still be a nice genuine person, that’s all I’m saying.

No one said anything about money or power. :lol: They are however obvious PR bullshitters and imo not entirely genuine. They're not unique in that respect and it's not a personal criticism, it's just the world they're in and a basic observation. Everyone in that world is like that.

And they're diecast Tories closely linked with the Saudi state. 'Niceness' obviously goes a long way to make that meaningless with a lot of people.

I'm probably as cynical a person as you'll find, but Mehrdad and Amanda come across as having genuine sincerity and warmth. It's pretty clear that their passion and affinity for the club extends well beyond that of a merely transactional business deal. 

Not really sure why I should care about corporate speak in a boardroom context, on a programme such as this one, either. Showing the management of the club at the upper levels was one of the main premises of the show, it was never going to be purely centred around on-pitch events or be a showcase for the fanbase/city and nothing else. 

9 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

I'm probably as cynical a person as you'll find, but Mehrdad and Amanda come across as having genuine sincerity and warmth. It's pretty clear that their passion and affinity for the club extends well beyond that of a merely transactional business deal. 

Not really sure why I should care about corporate speak in a boardroom context, on a programme such as this one, either. Showing the management of the club at the upper levels was one of the main premises of the show, it was never going to be purely centred around on-pitch events or be a showcase for the fanbase/city and nothing else. 

Completely agree with this. Amanda, Mehrdad and even Reuben have always came across well in their interactions with the fans, and the latter two are fairly grounded with their ribbing of each other on twitter etc. It's obvious there will be a lot of PR in a documentary like this, pretty sure it was marketed as being quite corporate focused too so it shouldn't be a shock.

In general they've always come across as being likeable to me.  

9 hours ago, Rich said:

As bad as some of the boardroom bits are, they do nowt but give me absolute confidence for the future. Hope there's more of Ashworth in the second half, mind.

That's it for me as well. This is the way the world works, we don't get much choice in it, you either do it well or you step aside and join the rest getting trampled on. At least we know these people are highly competent.

Agree that we could probably see less of them and focus more on the football stuff though.

I can't speak for Jim, but I think the point maybe isn't clear. Everyone knew it was going to be corporate focused, that's not really what I mean. It's the very specific stuff that comes across as staged PR stuff in the first episode that I'm talking about. Like Staveley talking about the seperation between PIF and the Saudi state or their interactions with people. To me that sets off my PR bullshit radar straight away. Like I say they're all like that to varying degrees, there's just some bits that stand out more than others. 

It's not even a huge deal, it's just an observation. I don't need to like the club's owners and I don't, they're the custodians of the football club I support, we're not friends or owt :lol: Episode 2 was much better because it focused more on the football as well. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

I went into it quite liking/respecting them, came out of the first episode hating every scene they were in. I felt palpable relief when the footballers/eddie/the fans came on screen :lol: that's who and what I associate this amazing team with. They're the cash, I don't really care about the cash.

Scenes like where they were geeing up the team after the semi final win were cringeworthy.

I do believe they have the clubs best interests at heart and that they care, but playing up to the camera and all the schmooze vibes really didn't sit well with me. I guess they could become more natural in episode 2, I hope so. Like I said, it felt much more natural in the scenes where they were negotiating for Gordon, rather than when they were telling us how amazing the fans were and how we deserve the best and blah blah...