"We Are Newcastle United" on Amazon Prime

Nobody

I loved the series, moments of pure joy for sure!

Seeing how much it all means to Amanda is fantastic....  having board members who are so engaged in the club can only be  good thing!

Then the final word from his Excellency Yasir Al-Rumayyan:  "We have only just started!"  

Finally got round to starting this. That first episode was a tough watch at times. Pure PR stuff for the owners and Staveley looked like a psychopath nodding along like a loon when Yasir was giving an awful speech to the squad. 

Certainly picked up towards the end, mind and looking forward to the rest of it. As I’ve heard it picks up and doesn’t feel so much like a propaganda piece. 

2 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Finally got round to starting this. That first episode was a tough watch at times. Pure PR stuff for the owners and Staveley looked like a psychopath nodding along like a loon when Yasir was giving an awful speech to the squad. 

Certainly picked up towards the end, mind and looking forward to the rest of it. As I’ve heard it picks up and doesn’t feel so much like a propaganda piece. 

I wouldn't bother watching the rest mate, it's probably not for you.

13 hours ago, TRon said:

I wouldn't bother watching the rest mate, it's probably not for you.

Based on those 2-3 lines?  Care to elaborate? 

It felt like a fluff piece for the Saudi owners for the first half of the episode.  But from the people I have spoken to, it cools off a bit on that, as it did towards the end of the first ep.  That not the case, then? 

Edited by Lush Vlad

42 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

It felt like a fluff piece for the Saudi owners for the first half of the episode.  But from the people I have spoken to, it cools off a bit on that, as it did towards the end of the first ep.  That not the case, then? 

There's a bit more focus on some of the players later on, like with Longstaff and Wilson, though there's probably not much you don't already know and it feels like a PR piece - which it pretty much always was going to be tbf.

I can't think a rival fan would watch it, possibly more from a foreign fans point of view who didn't know much about us before last year.

Still, there are a few nice bits to watch if you're an NUFC fan. And the bits on Wor Flags were really interesting and probably were my favourite bits. Don't expect too much and it's OK to watch through, instead of the One Show or whatever.

Can't say I'll watch it again, but over a beer it's a nice reminder of the run-in to the end of the season, even if it doesn't quite capture the drama of it all imo, which is a slight missed opportunity.

It was really disappointing for me, I was expecting something like the Man City one which has a lot of insight into the team, daily operations and how Pep thinks. 

Maybe my expectations were too high because I was hungry for details. 

Also the start didn't really set up how dire things were pre-takeover, I guess they decided that they couldn't or wouldn't really lay into Mike Ashley.

Hard to say how enjoyable it would be for someone who didn't already know the story, but for me it was a bit shallow. 

51 minutes ago, Abacus said:

There's a bit more focus on some of the players later on, like with Longstaff and Wilson, though there's probably not much you don't already know and it feels like a PR piece - which it pretty much always was going to be tbf.

I can't think a rival fan would watch it, possibly more from a foreign fans point of view who didn't know much about us before last year.

Still, there are a few nice bits to watch if you're an NUFC fan. And the bits on Wor Flags were really interesting and probably were my favourite bits. Don't expect too much and it's OK to watch through, instead of the One Show or whatever.

Can't say I'll watch it again, but over a beer it's a nice reminder of the run-in to the end of the season, even if it doesn't quite capture the drama of it all imo, which is a slight missed opportunity.

That's pretty much my take on it as well. If you are a Newcastle fan then it's obviously worth a watch, but then I quite like Staveley, Mehrdad and Yasir. If you don't then I don't think you would enjoy it.

Agree with the view it wouldn't be that interesting to other fans, it's not like the Spurs one with Mourinho which would probably be more appealing to the neutral.

Also I think there was a great story for Newcastle last season, but they could have done a better job of showing that.

17 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

I had a very similar reaction to the first episode. If the goal was to build us global support I think it would have backfired as to my eyes it made us look like exactly what many of our critics call us, a shill for a repressive state.

I've seen episodes 2 and 3 and while clearly more enjoyable, mainly as the focus shifts more to the players and fans and emphasizes what makes the club special more effectively, neither has set my world alight. I'll finish it but for me its not essential watching.

It wasn't great, unfortunately, just too much emphasis on the new ownership and less on the team and players. I thought the Aresenal and Sunderland series' were more enjoyable, as hard as it is for me to say that as a die-hard Newcastle United fan. The early scenes of meetings at the castle made me cringe - just so far away from the actual sport of football.

17 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Yes it picks up.  The third series was the best for me as there was a lot about the fans and especially Wor Flags.  It made you proud.

I’ve watched quite a few of these sports documentaries over the years:-

- Hard knocks - the NFL one remains class And basically invented the genre

- All or nothing - the NFL ones are largely great, the Premier League ones particularly Man City and Spurs are really good whereas the NHL one is terribly dull

This one if I wasn’t a fan of NUFC would rank pretty low.   Agree with the points felt aimed at international fans.

Mission to Burnley on Sky was probably better as focussed much more on Kompany talking tactics rather than the opinions of random fans (Wor Flags were good but the rest got tiresome).  Both the Burnley and NUFC ones were in the main fluff pieces on the owners, whereas Hard Knocks and All or nothing focus more on the coaches and playing staff.

15 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye i've only watched 2 eps - not in a rush to watch the 3rd. There's not the level of detail as the other docs.

It’s club marketing they managed to somehow get Amazon to pay them to do it. Remarkable stuff really :lol:

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

It’s club marketing they managed to somehow get Amazon to pay them to do it. Remarkable stuff really :lol:

That’s all it ever was going to be. I think the disappointment if any is because of the way the season turned out it could’ve been something completely different but it was never going to be.

4 minutes ago, LFEE said:

That’s all it ever was going to be. I think the disappointment if any is because of the way the season turned out it could’ve been something completely different but it was never going to be.

Aye the "All Or Nothing" has a lot of dressing room footage. A lot of time with the manager. Some candid scenes like "hey Daniel, can I talk to you please? Are AC Milan in for me?" Ends up at Watford.

3 hours ago, LFEE said:

That's what annoyed me as well. We had a fabulous season which would have made almost a fairy tale story in itself, but that almost seemed to get skimmed over like not showing the goals against Brighton which basically got us Champions League football.

It wasn't the PR stuff for the boardroom stuff which annoyed me as the lack of enthusiasm in the narration of the on field stuff. It was like someone was reading off an autocue while counting down the minutes when it would be over.

Have they said how much the club made from it?  Overall it was ok. Latter episodes definitely the better ones. I expected more of a fly on the wall type from players/manager perspective. But maybe this was the compromise that Eddie agreed to. 

Edited by duo

The journalists covering it (many, many months) in the past said it was NOT going to be all or nothing because Eddie didn't want the cameras around at all times as he wanted the team focusing on the football. They also said that it would be more about the club's hierarchy behind the scenes work. It was also inferred that once there was a genuine push for Champions League, that they were going to cover that journey. But again, for the millionth time, if you paid attention to any of the press coverage it was NEVER going to be the inner works of Eddie Howe and the dressing room.

Level set the expectations.  

8 minutes ago, Kanji said:

The journalists covering it (many, many months) in the past said it was NOT going to be all or nothing because Eddie didn't want the cameras around at all times as he wanted the team focusing on the football. They also said that it would be more about the club's hierarchy behind the scenes work. It was also inferred that once there was a genuine push for Champions League, that they were going to cover that journey. But again, for the millionth time, if you paid attention to any of the press coverage it was NEVER going to be the inner works of Eddie Howe and the dressing room.

Level set the expectations.  

It’s a tv show. Tv shows come with expectations. 

54 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It’s a tv show. Tv shows come with expectations. 

Uh what? It's 100% on you the viewer if you chose to ignore what's being said about the show's content before you watch it and you set yourself up thinking it'll be something it clearly isn't.