"We Are Newcastle United" on Amazon Prime

Nobody

2 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

Fuck sake man the foul for the free kick/first goal in the final was soft as shit man. Remember thinking it at the time.

Yeah, no way it was a foul, I think we were fouled at the other end in the buildup as well.

On top of that, I’m convinced that he was offside when the ball was played in.

30 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Yeah, no way it was a foul, I think we were fouled at the other end in the buildup as well.

No foul for us, as it was just after ASM's miss iirc.  However it's never a foul and Casimero is offside when the ball is played in.  Still angry. 

35 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I thought so at the time and since. The sense of injustice will probably stay with you for ever. When I’m in the right mood, I still grumble about thinking Anelka handled the ball for the FA Cup final goal (I was level with him and convinced at the time) and that the ball was moving when Wise took the Chelsea free kick which led to a goal in the FA semi ?‍♂️

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

Started watching this with my wife as a way to maybe get her into NUFC since she likes sports documentaries. 

We've only got through the first episode but she remarked that it was hard to feel any emotion about the club because the doc made it look like we'd just lucked into mega-rich owners and our only worry in life now was to figure out where to spend our tens of millions of dollars on while getting around whatever technicality that "financial fair play" is. I think that's a fair comment.

It really does hurt the product that the first episode is centered around the ownership group and posh boardroom meetings in freaking castles rather than starting with the city, the fanbase, the pain we all went through, and then moving into the new era. A layperson could turn on episode one and watch the whole thing without realizing pretty important basic facts like... Where in England Newcastle is, where in the city the stadium is located and why that is special, and why fans were so happy that the previous owner left, or who Alan Shearer is and why he's narrating the documentary etc. etc. 

You could get all of this out of the way by putting in the typical "five-minute montage of unending pain" at the very beginning, just to establish a baseline emotional connection. It's puzzling to me that they didn't do that.

Maybe this changes in later episodes, but just seems like poorly constructed narrative. Almost made me wonder if there was some kind of non-disparagement clause in the sale contract with Ashley and they were advised to not mention anything pre-takeover in the documentary to avoid potential liability.

Edited by oldtype

34 minutes ago, oldtype said:

We've only got through the first episode but she remarked that it was hard to feel any emotion about the club because the doc made it look like we'd just lucked into mega-rich owners and our only worry in life now was to figure out where to spend our tens of millions of dollars on while getting around whatever technicality that "financial fair play" is. I think that's a fair comment.

:lol: It's a very fair comment. It's not exactly rich in jeopardy, this thing. 

I am a bit perplexed as to who the target audience is, like. Really is just NUFCTV with an Amazon budget. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

:lol: It's a very fair comment. It's not exactly rich in jeopardy, this thing. 

I am a bit perplexed as to who the target audience is, like. Really is just NUFCTV with an Amazon budget. 

That was my main thought when watching it tbf. That if it wasn't NUFC related I'd be bored shitless and turned it off.

To be fair I equally gave up on the Juve, Man City and Tottenham ones after about an episode each too. Dull.

It’s absolutely bonkers to me that they introduced our brush with relegation as pretty much the only source of “threat” or “drama” in the first episode, and then…

1) gloss over the whole thing in the space of ten minutes

2) fail to mention the fact that WE’D BEEN RELEGATED TWICE IN RECENT MEMORY, so this is not some pie in the sky thing. We know it hurts.

3) failed to explain what the financial consequences of relegation are or EVEN WHAT RELEGATION IS. 

Isn’t the point of this doc to bring new fans into NUFC, many of whom come from cultures where relegation in professional sports doesn’t exist? You can’t cut 10 seconds out of the PowerPoint presentation in the board meeting to explain what the stakes are? I literally had to pause the episode and explain the concept to my wife.

It’s nonsensical how badly put together the narrative is.

Edited by oldtype

16 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

That was my main thought when watching it tbf. That if it wasn't NUFC related I'd be bored shitless and turned it off.

To be fair I equally gave up on the Juve, Man City and Tottenham ones after about an episode each too. Dull.

The Tottenham one expecially is excellent man. Surprised you didn't like that. The Arsenal and Man City ones gave away enough to be interesting too.

Another thing that annoyed me to no end: the constant invocation of the Carabao Cup and “going to Wembley” without pausing for even a second to explain what those words mean and why it’s significant, especially for us.

Do they even want anyone outside of existing NUFC fans to watch this?

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The Tottenham one expecially is excellent man. Surprised you didn't like that. The Arsenal and Man City ones gave away enough to be interesting too.

I thought the Man City one was fantastic and the Spurs was very good. All of them had a lot of detail of the workings of the team. 

11 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

As I said last week ours is a different story.. it's about rebuilding the club from scratch and undoing 15 years of wrong.

When they started recording behind the scenes nobody, even ourselves would have believed it was about the club ending up in the champions league.

You might have your own reasons not to like the owners or the final cut of the program but for fucks sake can we go back a couple of years and appreciate where we are now! 

Edited by RobsonsWonderland

1 hour ago, oldtype said:

Started watching this with my wife as a way to maybe get her into NUFC since she likes sports documentaries. 

It really does hurt the product that the first episode is centered around the ownership group and posh boardroom meetings in freaking castles rather than starting with the city, the fanbase, the pain we all went through, and then moving into the new era. A layperson could turn on episode one and watch the whole thing without realizing pretty important basic facts like... Where in England Newcastle is, where in the city the stadium is located and why that is special, and why fans were so happy that the previous owner left, or who Alan Shearer is and why he's narrating the documentary etc. etc. 

You could get all of this out of the way by putting in the typical "five-minute montage of unending pain" at the very beginning, just to establish a baseline emotional connection. It's puzzling to me that they didn't do that.

Maybe this changes in later episodes, but just seems like poorly constructed narrative. Almost made me wonder if there was some kind of non-disparagement clause in the sale contract with Ashley and they were advised to not mention anything pre-takeover in the documentary to avoid potential liability.

We didn't luck into mega rich ownership, Staveley was told to fuck off by Mike Ashley when Rafa was the manager if you might recall. She was pretty determined she wanted us and came back with bigger buyers. Might be best to watch all the episodes before making a judgement I think.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

We didn't luck into mega rich ownership, Staveley was told to fuck off by Mike Ashley when Rafa was the manager if you might recall. She was pretty determined she wanted us and came back with bigger buyers. Might be best to watch all the episodes before making a judgement I think.

Is any of this history explained in later episodes?

5 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

This might help explain why we don't go big on the past.

And to be honest I don't want to give him anymore excuses to try and rinse money from us

Screenshot_20230822-000136.thumb.png.f6d24305c608e76cf0d995db6aa403dc.png

Yeah as I said in my original post, I suspected this was why. It doesn't make sense for them to omit basically any mention of the club or city's history though. Could have done plenty without actually mentioning Mike Ashley.

It’s not meant to educate people on football 101, the pyramid, etc or something one could google quickly however I agree that a 5-10 min montage could explain the main idea on the history, the city, the pain, the stakes, etc. although I’m quite certain this documentary is really for casual fans of football who have some sense about us and a quick way to get us out there in the main stage. 

oh and ya, there’s not a chance they’ll be able to mention Ashley as he’d be in court. 

Edited by Kanji

11 minutes ago, oldtype said:

Is any of this history explained in later episodes?

I've only seen two episodes so far, it's a four part series, not sure how much they can cram into that considering they took over barely two years ago.

3 hours ago, TRon said:

His whole point is that a casual non fan may well not hang around for the second episode though. If you have no reason to care about NUFC already, why would you?

Was really surprised how many people in here were saying the semi-neutrals in their lives found the first episode interesting. Can't help but wonder if them sitting alongside filling in the blanks helped with that, though.

2 hours ago, Kanji said:

It’s not meant to educate people on football 101, the pyramid, etc or something one could google quickly however I agree that a 5-10 min montage could explain the main idea on the history, the city, the pain, the stakes, etc. although I’m quite certain this documentary is really for casual fans of football who have some sense about us and a quick way to get us out there in the main stage. 

Even casual football fans can be absolutely clueless about us though. There's probably still a solid number who think Rio Ferdinand was right about Ashley doing us a favour 'investing his money in the club' before the takeover - in their minds we've probably lucked out twice, now. Agree with your point that we were probably unable to go too deeply into the specific Ashley topic, though.