Leeds United 2-2 Newcastle United (13/05/2023)

Disco

9 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

It has been brilliant but I can barely remember the last time we started fast in an away game, probably Leicester on Boxing Day. Seems like we've been on the back foot at the start of every one since.

Forest?

2 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

I was too young to be there but it’s always baffled me that people booed after we finished 5th in 2004. Makes me understand why the way people go on now whenever we have an off day. Entitled as fuck. 

I was there and that was a minority.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Think we scored early at West Ham. But they were better up until that point. Early ish goal at Everton but similar play. 

Arsenal - under the cosh throughout, but expected, good point

Palace - not much to recall, couple of chances, Pope wonder save got us a 0-0

Bournemouth - shit first half, went a goal down, lucky to get a draw

Man City - early goal against, played better second half, unlucky not to get something

Forest - started slow, went a goal down, played better after and deserved to win

West Ham - very slow start, nearly a goal down in 30 seconds, scored two quick goals and won well so the start gets forgotten

Brentford - awful first half, goal down, could have been worse, won in the end with an excellent second half

Villa - hammered 3-0, never in it

Everton - another slow start, under pressure for half an hour, then took over and walloped them

Leeds - shit slow start, goal down, came back

Think although we've won some, it's even worse than I recall, barely a decent first half anywhere, except maybe Forest

Just now, LionOfGosforth said:

Arsenal - under the cosh throughout, but expected, good point

Palace - not much to recall, couple of chances, Pope wonder save got us a 0-0

Bournemouth - shit first half, went a goal down, lucky to get a draw

Man City - early goal against, played better second half, unlucky not to get something

Forest - started slow, went a goal down, played better after and deserved to win

West Ham - very slow start, nearly a goal down in 30 seconds, scored two quick goals and won well so the start gets forgotten

Brentford - awful first half, goal down, could have been worse, won in the end with an excellent second half

Villa - hammered 3-0, never in it

Everton - another slow start, under pressure for half an hour, then took over and walloped them

Leeds - shit slow start, goal down, came back

Think although we've won some, it's even worse than I recall, barely a decent first half anywhere, except maybe Forest

Not always easy to start well - particularly at the likes of the West Ham and Everton games when they were bang up for it and the home fans were creating an intense atmosphere. Promising that we can actually click into a bit of rhythm. Then again, had Pope not saved pens yesterday and against Brentford then fuck knows what would have happened. 

Just now, Danh1 said:

Not always easy to start well - particularly at the likes of the West Ham and Everton games when they were bang up for it and the home fans were creating an intense atmosphere. Promising that we can actually click into a bit of rhythm. Then again, had Pope not saved pens yesterday and against Brentford then fuck knows what would have happened. 

All fair points and I didn't mean my post to come across entitled, or to say we've been terrible or anything. Just slow starters game after game in away games for no good reason. Even a few home games have been like that recently. Think overall the intensity of the season might be catching up.

3 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Went a goal down, thought we were sloppy but made a lot of chances and deserved to win. Probably more a comment on going a goal down to an utterly ridiculously shit goal

Willock missed a glorious chance when Murphy drilled a cross across the face of goal and we hit the bar before they went a goal up which was a Botman individual error. We were the better side in that game by some margin and don't think we started slowly at all.

15 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Its one of those things that's definitely taken on a life of its own.

Where I sat we booed the people that were booing Robert and Viana got the brunt of it only in retaliation (shit though he was)

The context is always forgotten. Fans were (rightly) worried about the direction of the club that seemed asleep at the wheel not whinging about finishing 5th (which hadn't even been confirmed). The game was dire and far from the first where there'd been boos at the end (Fulham on way to finishing 4th in 02)

The stadium was half-empty for the walk around four years earlier and its never mentioned.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Willock missed a glorious chance when Murphy drilled a cross across the face of goal and we hit the bar before they went a goal up which was a Botman individual error. We were the better side in that game by some margin and don't think we started slowly at all.

I have argued about this game before. Just think we were sloppy with our finishing and lackadaisical with our defending leading to a feeling we weren't at it. You're right about the chances though, we had plenty throughout the game. It's more, in my brain, we started slow because we went a goal down, not factoring in the Willock chance and defender slicing it off his bar.

All fair points and I didn't mean my post to come across entitled, or to say we've been terrible or anything. Just slow starters game after game in away games for no good reason. Even a few home games have been like that recently. Think overall the intensity of the season might be catching up.

Na I didn’t think your post did, you raise good points and it’s a fair assessment!

I have argued about this game before. Just think we were sloppy with our finishing and lackadaisical with our defending leading to a feeling we weren't at it. You're right about the chances though, we had plenty throughout the game. It's more, in my brain, we started slow because we went a goal down, not factoring in the Willock chance and defender slicing it off his bar.

It's the only PL away game this side of the World Cup where we rather than the opposition created clear chances from the off that I can remember. Forest barely threatened in the game, their goal we created for them. If the Anderson goal stood also, which it should've done, we win that game by a bigger margin than 1-2. 

Edited by HaydnNUFC

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

It's the only PL away game this side of the World Cup where we rather than the opposition created clear chances from the off that I can remember. Forest barely threatened in the game, their goal we created for them. If the Anderson goal stood also, which it should've done, we win that game by a bigger margin than 1-2. 

No doubt on the Anderson goal disallowed, it was a disgrace. I think i'm gonna have to watch this game back, clearly i'm not recalling it as well as some of you. Turning 52 is my excuse :lol:

1 hour ago, LionOfGosforth said:

My feelings aswell. Apart from the freakish Tottenham game I can't remember having a good feeling at half time since the Manchester game (since we played very well in the first half).. Nottingham maybe, but there has not been many good first halves lately. On the positive we have showed character and delivered well after the breaks!

Edited by Erikse

2 hours ago, Thomson Mouse said:

It was a minority, but a large one - it was loud (as was the Robert booing). And it was a very large % that walked out on the lap of honour. It was a horribly toxic day. 

Here's the nufc.com match report for young'ns

https://www.nufc.com/html/2003-04html/2004-05-09wolves-h.html

Edited by Superior Acuña

2 hours ago, Danh1 said:

I was too young to be there but it’s always baffled me that people booed after we finished 5th in 2004. Makes me understand why the way people go on now whenever we have an off day. Entitled as fuck. 

Because there had been a very poor end to the season and quite a few saw that the tide had turned. Very similar to Sunderlands two seasons finishing 7th. 

We absolutely threw away a top 4 place. We were shocking towards the end of the season. The booing was directed at the players but SBR tried to defend them by trying to angle it that he was being booed. 

There was clearly something very wrong within the squad and the fans could see this being played out on the pitch. 

It was made out that we were an entitled fan base with delusions of grandeur. It felt to me that the fans were trying to get a message across to the players but quite frankly a good few of them by that time were becoming unmanageable.

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

They hit the post in the first minute, like. :lol:

Think people remember the two goals in the first 15 minutes and forget we should have been one down inside 40 seconds. I've watched the Forest game again this morning by the way, and you were on the money. We gave away a stupid goal but other than that, it was a dominant 90. I don't know how it took till injury time to get the winner, ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Think people remember the two goals in the first 15 minutes and forget we should have been one down inside 40 seconds. I've watched the Forest game again this morning by the way, and you were on the money. We gave away a stupid goal but other than that, it was a dominant 90. I don't know how it took till injury time to get the winner, ridiculous.

Should have been one down is a stretch when our own player turned it onto the post. Granted, we weren't great in that first half.

5 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

We absolutely threw away a top 4 place. We were shocking towards the end of the season. The booing was directed at the players but SBR tried to defend them by trying to angle it that he was being booed. 

There was clearly something very wrong within the squad and the fans could see this being played out on the pitch. 

It was made out that we were an entitled fan base with delusions of grandeur. It felt to me that the fans were trying to get a message across to the players but quite frankly a good few of them by that time were becoming unmanageable.

We won 1 of the last 7 league games in 2003-04 and that performance against Marseille in the 2nd leg of the UEFA Cup semi was absolutely tragic. According to me fatha anyway, who was in the away end for that.

We were a different club altogether then.

6 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

Its one of those things that's definitely taken on a life of its own.

Where I sat we booed the people that were booing Robert and Viana got the brunt of it only in retaliation (shit though he was)

The context is always forgotten. Fans were (rightly) worried about the direction of the club that seemed asleep at the wheel not whinging about finishing 5th (which hadn't even been confirmed). The game was dire and far from the first where there'd been boos at the end (Fulham on way to finishing 4th in 02)

The stadium was half-empty for the walk around four years earlier and its never mentioned.

Agreed.  The ‘you all booed Lord Sir Robert Robson for finishing 5th’ needs huge amounts of context.

We were terrible for large chunks of that season.  Anyone who travels to away games will remember this well - we won twice away from home that season.  And they were back to back games within a few days of each other in October.  The squad was clearly riven with dressing room issues, and Robson was obviously struggling to manage them.  

The wider context is that this also wasn’t Ashley’s NUFC - this was one of the world’s richest clubs with actual stated ambitions who were falling apart at the seams.  Excerpts from the always reliable NUFC.com’s review for that game:

“Paying through the nose to sit (and stand) through a mind-bogglingly mediocre campaign doesn't leave one well-disposed to sympathising with the people appointed to carry your hopes and dreams, who week after week do a good impression of rubbing your face in the muck. And knowing that the rest of the league barring one team are utterly bloody ordinary just makes it worse.

Seen enough: bad play, boring games, questionable tactics, unenjoyable wins, players not trying, fellow fans not getting involved, people walking out, inaccurate newspaper articles, patronising player interviews. 

Ten months of slowly fermenting frustration, now mutating into sheer bloody disappointment once more.  

Bobby and Co. may have cringed and griped at the booing, but they should reflect that it was typically British - in other places they would have waved handkerchiefs, (like his beloved Barca) hoyed cushions or bottles or come on the field and attacked those held to account.

Bobby may wail about bleeding black and white and pin on his toon army medals, but he was many, many miles away when we suffered in near-silence the tribulations of the Dalglish and Gullit eras. It's a mite unfair, but those on the field on Sunday bore the brunt of successive failed administrations and countless regrettable signings in recent decades.

Thanks for trying Bobby, but it's defeated you, like all the rest. We've cheered you, we've supported you and now we just plain don't believe you anymore. And neither do the players. We got close, we've almost failed. Again.”