Leeds United 2-2 Newcastle United (13/05/2023)

Disco

so glad nearly all the fans stayed behind and applauded the team.

Joelinton in particular looked absolutely devastated with the result. looked as if he was going to cry.

15 hours ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Think people remember the two goals in the first 15 minutes and forget we should have been one down inside 40 seconds. I've watched the Forest game again this morning by the way, and you were on the money. We gave away a stupid goal but other than that, it was a dominant 90. I don't know how it took till injury time to get the winner, ridiculous.

After those 2 goals we invited West Ham back into the game aswell, and they were the better team until we got that 3-1 goal. Strange game where we weren't at our best but still won 5-1 away from home. They gifted us some goals there.

Edited by Erikse

14 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Agreed.  The ‘you all booed Lord Sir Robert Robson for finishing 5th’ needs huge amounts of context.

We were terrible for large chunks of that season.  Anyone who travels to away games will remember this well - we won twice away from home that season.  And they were back to back games within a few days of each other in October.  The squad was clearly riven with dressing room issues, and Robson was obviously struggling to manage them.  

The wider context is that this also wasn’t Ashley’s NUFC - this was one of the world’s richest clubs with actual stated ambitions who were falling apart at the seams.  Excerpts from the always reliable NUFC.com’s review for that game:

“Paying through the nose to sit (and stand) through a mind-bogglingly mediocre campaign doesn't leave one well-disposed to sympathising with the people appointed to carry your hopes and dreams, who week after week do a good impression of rubbing your face in the muck. And knowing that the rest of the league barring one team are utterly bloody ordinary just makes it worse.

Seen enough: bad play, boring games, questionable tactics, unenjoyable wins, players not trying, fellow fans not getting involved, people walking out, inaccurate newspaper articles, patronising player interviews. 

Ten months of slowly fermenting frustration, now mutating into sheer bloody disappointment once more.  

Bobby and Co. may have cringed and griped at the booing, but they should reflect that it was typically British - in other places they would have waved handkerchiefs, (like his beloved Barca) hoyed cushions or bottles or come on the field and attacked those held to account.

Bobby may wail about bleeding black and white and pin on his toon army medals, but he was many, many miles away when we suffered in near-silence the tribulations of the Dalglish and Gullit eras. It's a mite unfair, but those on the field on Sunday bore the brunt of successive failed administrations and countless regrettable signings in recent decades.

Thanks for trying Bobby, but it's defeated you, like all the rest. We've cheered you, we've supported you and now we just plain don't believe you anymore. And neither do the players. We got close, we've almost failed. Again.”

This was entitled tbf. A bad season aye but we could've supported SBR way better.

Late to the party here but thought this was a cracking away end on Saturday.

Was in the lower tier right next to their fans and was sort of bewildered by their celebrations at the end of the game. That being said, they made some great noise too. Was a cracking atmosphere for a 12:30 game.

15 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

This was entitled tbf. A bad season aye but we could've supported SBR way better.

Robson should have went at the end of that season.  We were dross for most of it - 34% win ratios don't tend to get you 5th - this season it would be a bottom half win ratio.  Nowt entitled about it at all - he should have went and the club's new manager would have had a summer to rebuild.  Instead, we waited too long, then made a disastrous choice of manager.  

The die was cast for that season, when I think we 'only' went out and got Lee Bowyer (or was it the summer after?) - the CL qualifier defeat to Partizan really knocked the stuffing out of the club - I was there that night. Full-time felt like a funeral. :thdn:

3 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

The die was cast for that season, when I think we 'only' went out and got Lee Bowyer (or was it the summer after?) - the CL qualifier defeat to Partizan really knocked the stuffing out of the club - I was there that night. Full-time felt like a funeral. :thdn:

Nope, it was that summer.  Terrible summer of recruitment.  Partizan (H) remains the most disastrous result in the club's history for me - it really precipitated a quick decline.

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Nope, it was that summer.  Terrible summer of recruitment.  Partizan (H) remains the most disastrous result in the club's history for me - it really precipitated a quick decline.

It’s true and is why if we make the top 4 this or any season people need to cheer the fuck up and enjoy it. It can disappear very quickly and who knows what could happen in the future 

12 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Shepherd tried to placate fans by saying the club had just gone and signed Woodgate, 6 months earlier but it didn't wash. The club should have pushed on that summer - perhaps on reflection, should have peddled one of Jenas and Dyer and reinvested the cash properly.

15 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Agreed.  The ‘you all booed Lord Sir Robert Robson for finishing 5th’ needs huge amounts of context.

We were terrible for large chunks of that season.  Anyone who travels to away games will remember this well - we won twice away from home that season.  And they were back to back games within a few days of each other in October.  The squad was clearly riven with dressing room issues, and Robson was obviously struggling to manage them.  

The wider context is that this also wasn’t Ashley’s NUFC - this was one of the world’s richest clubs with actual stated ambitions who were falling apart at the seams.  Excerpts from the always reliable NUFC.com’s review for that game:

“Paying through the nose to sit (and stand) through a mind-bogglingly mediocre campaign doesn't leave one well-disposed to sympathising with the people appointed to carry your hopes and dreams, who week after week do a good impression of rubbing your face in the muck. And knowing that the rest of the league barring one team are utterly bloody ordinary just makes it worse.

Seen enough: bad play, boring games, questionable tactics, unenjoyable wins, players not trying, fellow fans not getting involved, people walking out, inaccurate newspaper articles, patronising player interviews. 

Ten months of slowly fermenting frustration, now mutating into sheer bloody disappointment once more.  

Bobby and Co. may have cringed and griped at the booing, but they should reflect that it was typically British - in other places they would have waved handkerchiefs, (like his beloved Barca) hoyed cushions or bottles or come on the field and attacked those held to account.

Bobby may wail about bleeding black and white and pin on his toon army medals, but he was many, many miles away when we suffered in near-silence the tribulations of the Dalglish and Gullit eras. It's a mite unfair, but those on the field on Sunday bore the brunt of successive failed administrations and countless regrettable signings in recent decades.

Thanks for trying Bobby, but it's defeated you, like all the rest. We've cheered you, we've supported you and now we just plain don't believe you anymore. And neither do the players. We got close, we've almost failed. Again.”

The other important context here is that we hadn't actually "finished" fifth when everyone left at the end of the Wolves game. There were two away games left, Southampton and Liverpool, and if we had won both then we would have qualified for the CL.

Not sure if that makes it more understandable or even worse that so many left at the end of the game but it's always struck me as ridiculous to do an end of season lap of the pitch when there was so much left to play for.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Overloading down Trippier's side isn't at all new like. Teams have tried it loads of times, sometimes with success but mostly not. Joelinton being there rather than Longstaff might make a big difference, but even against Leeds it only worked for 20 minutes then we sorted it out. Brighton will obviously be far more difficult though. 

On 15/05/2023 at 05:56, geordiesteve710 said:

The other important context here is that we hadn't actually "finished" fifth when everyone left at the end of the Wolves game. There were two away games left, Southampton and Liverpool, and if we had won both then we would have qualified for the CL.

Not sure if that makes it more understandable or even worse that so many left at the end of the game but it's always struck me as ridiculous to do an end of season lap of the pitch when there was so much left to play for.

Well that's just cos it was the last home game, there's no other chance to do it. Agree with yous all that it was a disappointing year on and off the pitch - I was home and away that season too. (Although for context, our lack of wins was mostly due to draws - we only won 2 away, but until this year, it was our joint lowest away losses too). 

I still think that walking out on the team like that, and the boos, abuse, were shocking. I don't think disappointing = disgrace, and that's how it was treated (and that's what worries me incoming years).

On 13/05/2023 at 20:09, Erikse said:

Has anyone else noticed how bad we are at corners lately? I took matters into my own hands to investigate. Last 19 games (since quartefinal vs Leicester at 10th of jan):

Corners for: 127

Goals: 1 (Southamptons own goal at 30th of april making it 2-1 for us)

(There is an argument for the 1-0 goal vs West Ham at 5th of april, as the final cross came after a corner. It was still well after.)

Corners against: 57

Goals against: 5

West Ham, feb 4th (1-1 goal)

Bounemouth, feb 10th (0-1 goal)

West Ham, april 5th (1-1 goal)

Everton, april 27th (3-1 goal)

Leeds, may 13th (2-2 goal) (indirect)

This results in a 0,79% succsessrate for us (1 in 127), while conceding in 8,77% of the corners against us (5 in 57). This means that in our last 19 games the corners against have been 11 times more lethal than our own corners..

Thank you! The turn around was because of this post.

Edited by Dr. TC

2 hours ago, Dr. TC said:

Thank you! The turn around was because of this post.

Haha. Trippier actually admitted that the set plays hasn't been great lately after the match yesterday. Maybe he's in here.[emoji38]

3 hours ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

So we need to aim for their players to score and not ours... Maybe that's where we have been going wrong lol 

Opponents are feeling sorry for our corners. Also we need to learn from Undav![emoji38] I hope Botman is studying that header!

Edited by Erikse

• 3 weeks later...