Leeds United 2-2 Newcastle United (13/05/2023)

Disco

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Not against that Leeds side - or at least it isn’t guaranteed. 

We weren’t our sharpest, but fought back and created enough to win in a dogfight of a match that took a massive deflection to drop points. 

3 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

Some fans have short memories...

image.thumb.png.ea1a20530f5c74724c951747b86abee7.png

:rolleyes:

I think there's a lot that was poor today that can be fairly discussed tbh.

I'm usually not one to "bed wet" if you will, but today's performance was poor, and I'm actually relieved we got a point.

I think sometimes the histrionics aren't really warranted and are not really backed up sufficiently, but we were not good today, and a lot of the issues being raised have been quite fair.

Calling them bottlers or mentally weak is harsh though, and not necessary. They did struggle to match Leeds intensity and the Hippo's disgusting approach, which was really annoying.

Calmed down a bit, but still fucking foaming we bottled that. You can't say we didn't. Poor defending, lack of desire and no concentration. Shit subs as well. Must win our home games, we'll get nowt at Chelsea, and beofre anyone starts, I read on here all week how a Fat Sam Leeds would do fuck all against us. 

Biggest thing for me today was that we never looked anywhere near scoring from fouls and corners! With the size of our lads we should be making more use.

We are still on course for the CL i think.
But we are unlucky that a few of our important players went off the boil today; Bruno, willock, Big Joe, miggy, Tripps (defensively).

for the game:

Leeds looked really up for it and I thought they won far too many duels.

Willock had his worst game for us and Bruno had quite an average game leading to our worst midfield performance for a while.

Burn at back is still not good enough when attacking.

Thought wilson and isak were good but think they would be better served playing as a 9 & 10 partnership instead of isak out wide.

We will have them back up for the next two a SJP!!!

Haway the lads!

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

It's an option in certain games against tired legs to move Isak into where there is space. But as your starting move it's a waste. Feel like Eddie has bowed to pressure a bit to play them both together.

Hard to say about Eddie, but he needs to be roaming in the dangerous areas,he can become such a beast 

Just now, The Bonk said:

We weren’t our sharpest, but fought back and created enough to win in a dogfight of a match that took a massive deflection to drop points. 

Honestly, it wasn’t much of a dogfight - it was just a low intensity, poor quality game of football.  Once we went 2-1 up we played like it was a training match. 

4 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

31 away PL goals for the season takes us to joint second for a season in the PL era. First was 01/02 with 34, joint second with 93/94 when there were two more away games).

Speaking of which, similar scenario to today, we lost at Sheffield United, deservedly so, probably the worst performance under Keegan.

People were allowed to acknowledge the fact, would have been delusional to think anything else, without being attacked as not being supportive or delighted with the season overall.

Not bad, but not good. I think some inexperience and immaturity showed through, especially Bruno and Joelinton who looked noticeably under-par. I suppose good to see some character shine through, but I think Howe would like that one back to have another go. Nothing quite clicked. I'm not sure about Isak-Wilson yet, doesn't seem to be quite clicking.

With that said, usual spawny shit in favour of Allardyce with the equaliser. They go for you sometimes and others don't. Their gamesmanship was predictable; I don't think the referee had a poor game.

I suppose as we needed a point and 2 wins, there's the point. Just would have rather had the comfort of being able to get that point against Brighton, if that makes sense. 

No issue taking a point from this game, did not watch it but in Leeds circumstances you’d expect them to put up a fight. I’m looking at the season as a whole and it’s been incredible so no negativity from me. Let’s give it a good go on Thursday night, Howay the lads.

1 minute ago, Beren said:

He's got an ankle injury I think.

Has to, he’s not himself and if we secure top 4 before the end of the season, he should rest or get the inevitable surgery required. Just hope him playing with a knock doesn’t do long term damage.

1 minute ago, Wolfcastle said:

Speaking of which, similar scenario to today, we lost at Sheffield United, deservedly so, probably the worst performance under Keegan.

People were allowed to acknowledge the fact, would have been delusional to think anything else, without being attacked as not being supportive or delighted with the season overall.

I remember that game.  Keegan said afterwards that their ‘desperation was greater than our aspiration’, which I always thought was a canny quote, and also a nuanced dig at our performance.  

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Honestly, it wasn’t much of a dogfight - it was just a low intensity, poor quality game of football.  Once we went 2-1 up we played like it was a training match. 

We lost intensity, agree with that.

9 minutes ago, Smal said:

He can be dodgy sometimes, sure.

The positives far, far outweigh the negatives with him though. He has been the most effective build up player in the league behind KdB this season. Take that out of the team for a better defender (Dumfries is not a better defender at all) and you lose so much more than you gain.

There is a clear hole in the system when Longstaff isn’t playing as you’ve said. The midfield basically didn’t exist in defensive transitions today and it was the same against both Villa and Arsenal.

Yeah I think that's a fair assessment.

To be fair I did say he should be more situational next season in one of my other posts.

If we are missing someone that can cover sufficiently for him then maybe we sit him next season in those instances.

Dumfries maybe isn't the answer if he isn't that good defensively, but I wouldn't mind seeing someone with his physicality and speed that can defend better, who can come in on that side and be another option.

14 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

Some fans have short memories...

image.thumb.png.ea1a20530f5c74724c951747b86abee7.png

:rolleyes:

Yes, and much of the criticism I’ve seen on here is aimed at the ‘trying’ not the ‘winning’ part.  I tend not to be overtly critical after draws / defeats - but when the team half-arse their way through a game - i.e. don’t try - that’s a problem.

Also, no-one is criticising the club’s ambition.

6 minutes ago, gbandit said:

In a foul mood now 

Imagine if they slot that second penalty and go on to win.

Right now I am incredibly grateful we managed a point. I would have been so down had we lost to that monstrosity of an Allardyce.

5 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Sorry like, but @Big Geordie and his fair-weather “supporters” comment on the other thread that’s since been locked.

Fair weather “supporters”? Really?

Go fuck yourself. 

It’s a bit of an odd one, the bed-wetting stuff.  I think this season has been fantastic, about 95% of the matches the players gave everything and were superb, I think we’ll get top four, I thought we were shite today.  Does that last one mean I’m a bed wetter?

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s a bit of an odd one, the bed-wetting stuff.  I think this season has been fantastic, about 95% of the matches the players gave everything and were superb, I think we’ll get top four, I thought we were shite today.  Does that last one mean I’m a bed wetter?

I don't think anyone saying we were shite today has been called a bed wetter. But there's people on here saying we've bottled top four entirely despite being four points clear with 3 games to go, which is frankly embarrasing.

Just now, jonny1403 said:

I don't think anyone saying we were shite today has been called a bed wetter. But there's people on here saying we've bottled top four entirely despite being four points clear with 3 games to go, which is frankly embarrasing.

Yeah, that’s daft - though it can get stressful at this point.  Most of that I’d put down to the blood pressure and adrenaline being up - if folks still think that way on Sunday morning then they’re being a bit premature for me. 

15 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Sorry like, but @Big Geordie and his fair-weather “supporters” comment on the other thread that’s since been locked.

Fair weather “supporters”? Really?

Go fuck yourself. 

I'm reminded of how things can go, after a period of sustained success  - Wolves at home at the end of 2003/04 - only 5000 stayed behind to clap the team, because we only finished '5th'. Robson was sacked a few months later, then we all know what came after.

People need to keep a sense of perspective - 18 months ago, we were bottom of the PL and looking doomed. Look how far we have come in that time, FFS! Even if we finish 5th, it's still been a superb season.

Edited by Big Geordie

We weren’t shite today and I disagree with that assessment (although everyone’s entitled to their opinion). I find that once again we’ve just lacked the cutting edge and the final pass / decision making. That’s why coaching can only take you so far. You need better players to take you to that next level, find the key pass in a tight game or do something special when you’re not playing well