Newcastle United 4-1 Brighton & Hove Albion (18/05/2023)

Yorkie

The pressing traps Howe put together for them have been exceptional.

Never seen Brighton look so bad trying to get their build up play going from the back.

2 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Just don’t get what Brightons gameplan was that half. Could easily be 4/5-0 down. 

Hopefully we get a 15 minute YouTube video on how pressing Brighton is the best game plan. Like Everton’s video about how not pressing Brighton is the best game plan. 

1 minute ago, Superior Acuña said:

Bruno's getting sent off second half like

Needs to calm himself, same as big Joe don’t want him extracting revenge on Caicedo and getting sent off.

Just now, KaKa said:

The pressing traps Howe put together for them have been exceptional.

Never seen Brighton look so bad trying to get their build up play going from the back.

I'm not looking too hard, but it seemed like we let them play 2 passes and then hit the press button.  Like we had a timing and an area when we'd know to go as a team.

That was actually a really odd half of football, it was like 90% of it was played in a kind of holding pattern, with them playing the ball around, and the other 10% being us pressing them and they then being unable to handle it.

They've actually been really poor in possession, which is surprising given and I was really worried our press would play into their hands, allowing them to find the space in midfield, but it just hasn't happened.

1 minute ago, Superior Acuña said:

Bruno's getting sent off second half like

That’s my only worry at this point.  Schar, Bruno and Joelinton were boiling over towards the end.  Feels like everyone has fire in their bollocks today - which is great - but they need to keep their heads 

3 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Just don’t get what Brightons gameplan was that half. Could easily be 4/5-0 down. 

Fuck Liverpool off for taking Mac Allister is my theory.

1 minute ago, Collage said:

He’s average. It’s really the assumption that he should be good just because he’s tall that’s wrong. 

Totally agree, he should definitely dominate more based more on his height, but I’m pleased for him 

Just now, Unlucky Luque said:

Whoever said not to press Brighton as they "welcome it" :lol: :lol:

I take my hat off, but that Van Hecken guy is doing a lot of work for us back there, he is so so fucking scared and messing up easy passing options. No wonder we let him have the ball for a bit, man walks in to people and loses it. Although 100% Undav off and Mac Allister on, and if De Zerbie has any sense that hecken guy will get subbed as well.

Great first half. Still need to graft. I think Brighton will have a spell and will get a few subs on at half time. This will be a massive confidence boost for the last couple of matches like.