Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

21 minutes ago, Paullow said:

It is a bit surreal. I am fully expecting a win tomorrow. I'm looking at oddschecker and the shortest odds for Dortmund is 4/1, some places a bit higher (9/2 at SkyBet), and they are drifting all the time. Most neutrals would expect Newcastle to win. On paper, it is by far the easiest match of the 6, and if you were looking to win at least one match in the group stage then this would clearly be it, and the PSG win only naturally enhances expectation.

It would be a bit disappointing not to win, but that said, they are in the CL every year, have a lot more experience, used to big nights and atmospheres, still one of the biggest sounding names in European football, only lost the title to Bayern on the final day, doing well in the league this year, and all it takes is a mistake by Pope, Lascelles etc. or an early red card due to someone being caught up by the occasion / atmosphere, like a Bruno, and the whole complex of the match, and group, could change quickly.

I do need to change the mindset that we should be on 7 points in 30 or so hours, because it is still Dortmund, we're still Pot 4, and would still need to be very much on our game and play well to get the win. Incredibly exciting though.

And infinitely better than working out how many games the teams above us are going to lose to prevent us being relegated.

I know it's obviously still pie in the sky,  but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't - in all earnest - contemplated/pictured us actually winning the Champions League. I mean we did just batter PSG.

Imagine that was what ended the trophy drought. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

That PSG game a top 5 NUFC game?

Gotta be. First CL game back at SJP in twenty odd years against one of the most talented teams to ever exist and we wipe the floor with them while two local lads are on the score sheet. Hollywood wouldn’t dare write that. 

Edited by cubaricho

It's got to be to be honest, but If we're rating the top 5 since the takeover, it's like this for me:

1) Newcastle 4-1 PSG

2) Newcastle 6-1 Tottenham

3) Newcastle 2-0 Arsenal

4) Newcastle 2-1 Southampton 

5) Newcastle 2-0 Man United

Honorary mention to the 2-1 win against Leicester too.

My top 5 that I’ve been to

1) Newcastle vs PSG (4-1)

2) Newcastle vs Man Utd (4-3) - 2001

3) Sunderland vs Newcastle (0-1) - 2002

4) Newcastle vs Brentford (5-1) - 2022 - first match with my son

5) Newcastle vs Chelsea (1-2 - FA Cup Semi) - despite the loss, I have such vivid memories of being there with my sister

Regarding these " Ultras" and their march to the game.

My understanding is Ultras consider themselves hardcore with a bit of an organised hoolie element, is that correct?

If they are going to have organised marches, the last place I would do it is up the Bigg market, it's normally kicking off outside the Beehive at the best of times, and it's handy for the radgie bars round the Grainger market.

Put them on St. James Boulevard , if you don't know the area it would sound like it's appropriate, wide open space so easier to police, straight to the ground, it's also the middle of nowhere for Newcastle fans who want to have a pop at them, no one is going to be arsed.

I think these organised marches are bollocks, attention seeking whilst hiding in the mob.

Last thing I would do and I am an attention whore.

Edited by Sid

12 minutes ago, Shak said:

My policy is to always hope for draws when two direct rivals play each other. Feels like two points between them is better than three, for us?

I've no idea if that's statistically sound :lol:

I guess if PSG and we both win tonight that's both Dortmund and Milan beginning to get cut adrift. But until specific wins start to make things mathematically certain I'll be happy with draws among the other three.

1 hour ago, 54 said:

It's got to be to be honest, but If we're rating the top 5 since the takeover, it's like this for me:

1) Newcastle 4-1 PSG

2) Newcastle 6-1 Tottenham

3) Newcastle 2-0 Arsenal

4) Newcastle 2-1 Southampton 

5) Newcastle 2-0 Man United

Honorary mention to the 2-1 win against Leicester too.

Can't argue with this other than elevating the Leicester game into the 5. Not 100% which I'd Dutch for it tho. Possibly Arsenal. 

Leicester game, simply for that Bruno goal. I loved everything about it. Sublime. 

53 minutes ago, Shak said:

My policy is to always hope for draws when two direct rivals play each other. Feels like two points between them is better than three, for us?

I've no idea if that's statistically sound :lol:

Yeah. In my option the ideal result will be a PSG win if we beat Dortmund, however if we don’t, then a draw would be best.

Its a wait and see with the injuries but at this point I think we can get a draw over there - since both teams wont mind it that may even be likely.

A shit house draw at PSG and beat a hopefully demoralised Milan.

Don't see us getting out of the group unless we beat Dortmund, can't see how we do that if the injury situation isn't markedly better than now - but just happy to be here. We've already held our own, reeks of 97/98 but we'll get a bash at the Europa quite probably, with hopefully everyone bar Tonali available.

13 hours ago, AJ9 said:

My top 5 that I’ve been to

1) Newcastle vs PSG (4-1)

2) Newcastle vs Man Utd (4-3) - 2001

3) Sunderland vs Newcastle (0-1) - 2002

4) Newcastle vs Brentford (5-1) - 2022 - first match with my son

5) Newcastle vs Chelsea (1-2 - FA Cup Semi) - despite the loss, I have such vivid memories of being there with my sister

My favourites that I attended:

Feyenoord 2-3 NUFC (2002)

NUFC 5-0 Man Utd (1996)

NUFC 1-0 Portsmouth (1992)

Inter 2-2 NUFC(2003)

NUFC 3-2 Barca (1997)

13 hours ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Man Utd 4-3

Sunderland 5-1

Leeds away 4-3

PSG 4-1

Liverpool 3-0

That Leeds 4-3 was a classic.  Didn’t enjoy hopping on the bus outside Elland Road back to the train station that afternoon mind.  The locals weren’t happy :) - also, it was one of those days where somehow it being bitterly cold works for the match