Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

6 minutes ago, The Fountain said:

If we get Feyenoord at least the Mackems will feel as if they have a stake in the CL.

There was one of them there last time - he was quite prominent as he was next to the away end trying to goad us.  I’m delighted that he was there that night :) 

57 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

My ideal pot would be three big hitters, but one thing I’m really hoping for is that we pull out three teams we’ve never played competitively before.  There’s quite a few teams we’ve drawn twice before in Europe (Inter, Barca, Feyenoord - Kiev got knocked out unqualifying course).  We’ve played Porto, Benfica, Antwerp, Rangers before.  I wouldn’t be complaining about any of them being in our group, but I like seeing NUFC tick off new European clubs.  

Do you mean PSV? (97/98 CL and 03/04 UEFA Cup) Can only think of Feyernord in 02/03 CL. Can only think of Inter once too?

Edited by Superior Acuña

4 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Do you mean PSV? (97/98 CL and 03/04 UEFA Cup) Can only think of Feyernord in 02/03 CL. Can only think of Inter once too?

We played Inter in the Fairs Cup. Bit of a battle by all accounts 

Edited by madras

1 hour ago, Superior Acuña said:

We played Inter & Feyenoord in the Fairs Cup.  Feyenoord when we won it, Inter a year or so later (beat them too). 

7 hours ago, nemtizz said:

Thank god Frankfurt aren't in it with their fake ultras.

It’s like having a firm based out of Canary Wharf. Rather than Stone Island, they’re rocking trader boy Ralph Lauren gilets with corporate branding - “Citibank Army”.

8 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

There was one of them there last time - he was quite prominent as he was next to the away end trying to goad us.  I’m delighted that he was there that night :) 

Aye with his flag! We seen him in Newcastle airport on the Thursday - looked like he had a great time! 

8 hours ago, madras said:

I want a group we can get through with away fans that aren't going to be arseholes.

That kind of goes for our lot going away as well.

For the radgie stakes I'd say

Feyenoord and Napoli pot 1

Atletico pot 2 (at apush, looks quite civil)

Dinamo Zagreb, Red star and Lazio pot 3

1 hour ago, South-Cheshire-Toon said:

I know it's along way off but interesting to see how the champions league will work next season especially after the league stage - you'll know every opponent thru to the final. ( they are making it a bit like a tennis draw - so more of a chance of the top 2 reaching the final.)

That was interesting but I wish I could have read a summary - that kid gets on my nerves with his scenty bottle accent and smugness.

it will probably benefit us now but I hate the fact that they’re implementing changes to effectively remove the chances of upsets / results going against expectations. Just doesn’t feel within the spirit of competitive sport. 

19 minutes ago, OCOCOL said:

That was interesting but I wish I could have read a summary - that kid gets on my nerves with his scenty bottle accent and smugness.

it will probably benefit us now but I hate the fact that they’re implementing changes to effectively remove the chances of upsets / results going against expectations. Just doesn’t feel within the spirit of competitive sport. 

I’ll admit I can rant about this, but the notion of genuine competition has been gnawed away at since the early ‘90s.  It’s probably not a coincidence that the PL breakaway and UEFA’s restructuring of the European Cup into the ‘Champions League’ occurred in 1992.

I still call it the European Cup, tbh.  ‘Premier League’ doesn’t exactly settle well with me either.  I’m a curmudgeonly bastard. 

'Champions League' is an outright nonsensical name and has been since 1999/00 when they started letting four teams from the same nation enter. Arguably since even before, when Runners-Up from certain nations got in (us being in the mix the first time that happened in 97/98).

Obviously there isn't a single reason to do it - besides pleasing me - but it would be a laugh if they randomly went back to the first (as in 92-93) format, just for a year. No seeding, one representative from 40 countries; a few two-leg knockout rounds until the final eight play are placed into two groups. The winners of each being in the final. 

12 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

Feyenoord were the first team we played in Europe. They won the European Cup the following year 

12 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

Feyenoord were the first team we played in Europe. They won the European Cup the following year 

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

PSG

Real Madrid

AC Milan

Newcastle United

Let’s shock the world.

Yep, that’s just the ticket.

Getting out of it would mean getting results in those games - and getting knocked out would still have seen us play the biggest names in football

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

This year in the CL is about enjoying it with no expectation, I’d prefer we get some big teams and even if we lose a number of games, one win would feel amazing at this point

Get what you mean but I think, given the strength of Premier League sides these days, we shouldn't really have low expectations against anyone other than the very best. Can we be considered underdogs when we're literally pinching Milan's crown jewels from them?

It's almost a shame in a way; a big reason for the excitement in 2002/03 was just how incredible it was that we could beat Juve or go to the San Siro and get a point. Feel like the strength of the PL kinda takes that story away nowadays.

Though I do tend to overestimate it's strength in these conversations tbf.

25 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

As 4th seeds, do we start off with a match against the top seeded team in the group? 

Just realised Im away on holiday for the first game. Wounded. 

Not sure it works as clear cut as that?

edit: yeah, it didn’t work like that last season, (unsurprisingly) seems far more complicated.

Edited by SteV