Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

1 minute ago, Cf said:

Are CL fixtures usually symmetrical like this? Noticed the other groups are too. 

They were when we last played in it. Dortmund will be our Bayer Leverkusen. Two straight wins setting us up for our glorious final game v Milan needing a win to see us through. Scrape a point v PSG in one of the games :cool:

1 minute ago, jonny1403 said:

They were when we last played in it. Dortmund will be our Bayer Leverkusen. Two straight wins setting us up for our glorious final game v Milan needing a win to see us through. Scrape a point v PSG in one of the games :cool:

No they weren't.

It was 1st and 5th, 2nd and 6th and 3rd and 4th.

19 hours ago, mondonewc said:

This confirmed anywhere else? Feels like they've maybe misunderstood how it works and are just expecting it's 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 which is wrong. 

I take it all back, you were right.

Just looking at it last year:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022–23_UEFA_Champions_League_group_stage#Groups

We're obviously not Liverpool, but all their matches were 8pm, including one in Italy, and vs Ajax. Ajax vs Rangers was 5.45pm. Plzen in Group B had 4 of their 6 matches at 5.45pm, which kind of tells you about that slot. Chelsea did get two 5.45pm kick offs to be fair, but those opponents were Zagreb and Salzburg. Celtic got all 3 aways at 5.45pm, which again kind of says something - you won't often get a proper must-see match at 5.45pm.

Our two matches are the only ones at 5.45pm in our group. Dortmund vs Milan / PSG, Milan vs Dortmund / PSG etc. all at 8pm. I guess if they had to have a match at that time, then we are the Plzen compared to the others, and would naturally go there, but it's a bit disappointing. In some ways, there could be more general eyes on our match on the continent with it being 6.45pm in CET and only clashing with 1 match at that time, as opposed to 5 at 8pm, but it does kind of feel like get them out of the way, and there will be loads of Newcastle fans in the UK either missing the start, working through lunch hours, or even taking a holiday just to be safe. Once is fair enough, but twice is poor, especially when it's against such glamorous opposition, unlike Chelsea last year. In terms of profile, experience, co-efficient, IG followers etc. we are clearly one of the proper minnows, so more chance to be lumped there, but at the same time, we play in the PL, have £40-50m players all over the pitch (and on the bench), were like 8th favourites pre draw, favourites to get out of the group, and we're one of the main reasons why there were gasps and so much talk of group of depth.

Probably looking into this too much, but I was disappointed when I saw 2 5.45pm kick offs. 6 Champions League nights has quickly turned into 4 nights and 2 late afternoons.

Edited by Paullow

1 hour ago, Paullow said:

Having two matches at 5.45pm (albeit one hour later local time) is a bit shit? They usually do 2 at that time and 6 at 8pm, but it's not often the better looking matches on early iirc. 

Don't recall any team playing two group games in the earlier slot 

Just now, Magpie said:

Don't recall any team playing two group games in the earlier slot 

Thought the same yeah, really can only remember English teams kicking off at this time when it's been games vs Russian teams due to timezone. 

1 minute ago, mondonewc said:

Thought the same yeah, really can only remember English teams kicking off at this time when it's been games vs Russian teams due to timezone. 

I'm genuinely beginning to think the police have intervened 

Na, if you go back to my longer post a couple of posts up, Chelsea did get 2 early matches last year and Zagreb and Salzburg are on the same time zone as Dortmund and Milan, but can't really see many neutrals opting for those matches when you have 5 alternatives.

I'd fully expect us to have been 5.45pm if we got Copenhagen in Pot 3.

Bonus for me is I won’t miss any of the home games. In America for Matchday 1. Negative, im flying from Denver to LA at about 11am local time when the AC game is on, so suspect will miss out on watching it.

Anyway, £73 return flight from Edinburgh to Paris in November and may do a Germany mini break in December that takes in Dortmund. Can’t wait.

32 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Booked 🇮🇹 🇩🇪 🇫🇷

Anyone know what size allocations we get at each ground?

10-12000 went over when we plated Inter, back in 2003. No idea as to how many away fans Dortmund will allow - no idea for PSG either.

I was one of about 4000 that went to watch us at Juventus in 2002. Not bad for a mid-week away.

Edited by Big Geordie

I've booked up the trip to Paris on my own - £150 for flights with 2 night hostel from Manchester - no chance im getting an away end ticket so bit the bullet for £120 on one off footballticketnet in the home end, look quite legit but still loads of horror stories no idea how that will turn out but if I get fleeced then so be it! Will just end up in the pub with the rest of us for the game. Buzzing this will be my first European away day

Edited by Leek

What are people’s thoughts on getting tickets in the home end? My best mate’s wife is from Milan and he has a friend who’s a season ticket holder who might be able to get us tickets. Is that a disaster move? Given potential for some beatings and just the general experience or is it just a “fuck it” moment 

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

What are people’s thoughts on getting tickets in the home end? My best mate’s wife is from Milan and he has a friend who’s a season ticket holder who might be able to get us tickets. Is that a disaster move? Given potential for some beatings and just the general experience or is it just a “fuck it” moment 

My thoughts on this are always the same. How would you feel if opposition fans did this at St James's Park? Whereby you could potentially miss out on a ticket at home because its been taken by an away fan. The only reason I can ever see for doing this is if you're going to a game with and sitting with the friend or family member, who like in your circumstance has a season ticket in the home seats. Then I can obviously see why you'd want to be with your friends/family at the game even if you're sat with the opposition fans.