Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

In the early/mid 2000’s I used to do a custom knockout full of the bigger names in Europe on FIFA. One year I even got a trinket and drew each team out on paper, making sure no same nation club could play each other.

Sometimes I did it with seeding. Pen & paper style.

Living a good 3 miles away from your friends with no pocket money as a teenager was no real fun during the school holidays, had to make do with what I had.

image.thumb.png.d273097b7d3d0604f187fdcc7fc36e9c.png

There must be some reasoning (unknown to me) as to why Real can only go into groups F or G from the above screenshot - why not A, B or C ?

And if you do use the draw and do it yourself - then you'll see lot's of 'this team can only go in group X,Y or Z' when looking at the groups there could be others that they could go into.

3 minutes ago, South-Cheshire-Toon said:

There must be some reasoning (unknown to me) as to why Real can only go into groups F or G from the above screenshot - why not A, B or C ?

And if you do use the draw and do it yourself - then you'll see lot's of 'this team can only go in group X,Y or Z' when looking at the groups there could be others that they could go into.

At a punt I’ll say it’s a nuance of the draw so they aren’t at risk of playing at home on the same night as Atletico. 

1 minute ago, South-Cheshire-Toon said:

The teams from countries that have 4 representatives are split into pairings for TV purposes - so can have 2 Spanish teams play on a Tuesday and 2 on a Wednesday, by the look of the above Real Madrid must be paired with Sevilla. Groups A-D will play one night and E-F another. Only E and F have second seed slots left.

3 hours ago, Stifler said:

In the early/mid 2000’s I used to do a custom knockout full of the bigger names in Europe on FIFA. One year I even got a trinket and drew each team out on paper, making sure no same nation club could play each other.

Sometimes I did it with seeding. Pen & paper style.

Living a good 3 miles away from your friends with no pocket money as a teenager was no real fun during the school holidays, had to make do with what I had.

Kids these days, with their PlayStation, replica kits, proper youth football, Sky Sports, spoilt cunts.... s-l1200.thumb.jpg.acf6614acb94a42c73d4f9625ac37781.jpg6857509533_72c0ca0e0e_b.thumb.jpg.1dbc3b2030f1ba9ae439fadcd6854cf9.jpg

Just now, Bally21 said:

The teams from countries that have 4 representatives are split into pairings for TV purposes - so can have 2 Spanish teams play on a Tuesday and 2 on a Wednesday, by the look of the above Real Madrid must be paired with Sevilla. Groups A-D will play one night and E-F another. Only E and F have second seed slots left.

The only reason I know this is because I am a sad tw*t and watched last year's draw on youtube on Monday to cheer me up after Sunday.

10 minutes ago, South-Cheshire-Toon said:

It’s to do with teams being ‘paired’ for TV reasons. They must need to be in the opposite half to Barcelona.

If you watch the video that Yorkie posted it explains at about the 22 min mark

1 hour ago, nufcjb said:

Really can't wait to hear the Champions League theme being blared out at SJP again.

I’m gutted as even though I have paid for the tickets, I probably won’t get to the first home game. The only way I will get to it is if we’re home on Match week 1 and play on Tuesday night, as it’s my grandson’s first birth on the Wednesday and then I fly to Qz for 3 weeks on the Thursday 

Edited by nufcnick

I think I might have drawn the most boring group possible :lol:

No real elite teams. Porto would be fun I guess. Napoli okay. Belgrade meh.

Would fancy us to advance, at least.

Untitled.png

Edited by oldtype

Just a thought.

In 1997 we played PSV in a pre-season friendly and drew them in the Champions League

in 2002 we played Barcelona in a pre-season friendly and drew them in the Champions League

in 2023 we played Rangers in a friendly...

3 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Just a thought.

In 1997 we played PSV in a pre-season friendly and drew them in the Champions League

in 2002 we played Barcelona in a pre-season friendly and drew them in the Champions League

in 2023 we played Rangers in a friendly...

They won't progress tonight....