2023 FIFA Women's World Cup: Rubiales banned from all football-related activities for three years

Sadly missed all of that apart from literally the last kick. Chloe Kelly is a legend, like. I don't know much about many of the individuals across the women's game but she seems like a proper A-lister.

2 minutes ago, Jimburst said:

How does Lauren James's red affect her availability? 1 game ban?

They said on commentary three games so out of the tournament, which would be the expected punishment for violent conduct.

32 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Wanting him off and should he be off are two different things. If Bruno did that to Tielemans would you want Bruno off? 🙂

Wasn’t going to as it wasn’t violent. It was clearly petulant. 

Sadly if the Nigerian girl had of cheated and overreacted about it all it might of got a red from the off for violent conduct. She was however very honest and actually highlighted how little the contact was when walked over. If more players did this then fans would be less inclined to want to see red as per the example I’ve quoted above.

It’s a vicious circle of “I’ve seen them given”. 

What are your thoughts on the 2nd penalty not given involving Bronze?

'Clear and obvious error' territory. Either way, the ref's decision to award or not should not be overturned.

It's quite an important principle, and I think Howard Webb was right in trying to cut down the number of VAR interventions. So many decisions in football are subjective. VAR is there to correct howlers or pure questions of fact like offside. It shouldn't be a 'second opinion'.

1 minute ago, Elma said:

They said on commentary three games so out of the tournament, which would be the expected punishment for violent 

It's 1 game, then goes to a review! Absolutely zero chance she doesn't get 3 games. 

She needs to take responsibility because it was absolutely pathetic!

Nigeria were the better team across 120 mins but never really tested Earps. I thought the few chances we had were actually better. They should have won it but they didn't and that's football. 

Gutted for them, I saw that they knew once it went to penalties, that was it. Tough to take. 

Onwards and upwards! 

Well done to England and credit to Nigeria for overperforming expectations in this tournament, especially defensively. I cannot claim to be an expert of women's football that I haven't watched since last WC/Olympics or of this match that I started watching at extra time, but to me this is a massive waste. The better side and an advantage with 11 v. 10, but no idea how to attack when it is not in transition. Just long balls to the forwards, no progession through midfield, and then rubbish penalties. No time to claim moral victory, there is potential with investment, but we have been saying this about the men for decades. :lol:

1 minute ago, RodneyCisse said:

Reckon James’ silly stomp gets overlooked now we’re through or does she get the Beckham 98’ treatment?

She's black, so history would suggest she'll get it worse!!

Just seen the James incident. Overriding emotion is that I just feel sorry for her tbh. Obviously it was a very stupid act and a red card is undoubtedly the correct decision, but it was clearly a red mist moment, which we're all capable of as humans (particularly in an environment like that). For a player's entire tournament to be destroyed because of one petulant moment just feels overzealous. 

10 minutes ago, iklgizmo said:

It's 1 game, then goes to a review! Absolutely zero chance she doesn't get 3 games. 

She needs to take responsibility because it was absolutely pathetic!

One of the Nigeria players was given a red card for a terrible challenge in the first match, and was still banned today. Given James was violent conduct, she is out of the World Cup. I don't recall the men's rule being this harsh, tbh.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I can remember what the press did to Beckham in fairness - gleefully reproducing effigies being lynched, etc. It was pretty bad. 

If I remember rightly it was West Ham Supporters who had an effigy hanging from a lamp post, the tabloids of course revelled in it

1 minute ago, DMC said:

If I remember rightly it was West Ham Supporters who had an effigy hanging from a lamp post, the tabloids of course revelled in it

Yep.  The S*n of course reproducing it on their front page, while trying to pretend they didn’t agree with the sentiment and hadn’t whipped it up in the first place:

53CB9C87-D10B-4417-B2B4-A166BCBC15C1.jpeg.8c81bfeaf14fa201b6bd643ed5e8941f.jpeg

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I can remember what the press did to Beckham in fairness - gleefully reproducing effigies being lynched, etc. It was pretty bad. 

Yea I don't think the press will go in on her, but social media is a different beast! She already gets regular racist abuse online!

Just now, iklgizmo said:

Yea I don't think the press will go in on her, but social media is a different beast! She already gets regular racist abuse online!

Yeah, sadly you’re 100% right there.  There’s some vile shit which gets aimed at black players online - and only a handful of the fuckers get prosecuted.  I hope she isn’t - but unfortunately I think you’re right. 

23 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Just seen the James incident. Overriding emotion is that I just feel sorry for her tbh. Obviously it was a very stupid act and a red card is undoubtedly the correct decision, but it was clearly a red mist moment, which we're all capable of as humans (particularly in an environment like that). For a player's entire tournament to be destroyed because of one petulant moment just feels overzealous. 

I mean it was about as soft as “violent” conduct as you can get like. Seen worse get yellows or nothing with far more intent to harm.