Yankuba Minteh

1 hour ago, simonsays said:

It's just FOMO with Minteh - the idea he will succeed at a different club is a hard one to swallow.  Unfortunately it's something we will have to get used to.  

If his sale allows us to keep within PSR and fund an Olise level RW then I'll be happy.

The Olise level RW you are dreaming about is Miggy Almiron as things stand currently. What narks me is that some of us were thinking Minteh might at least provide a better option for the RW as an upgrade to Miggy.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Longstaff

Anderson

Trippier

Murphy

All possible options imo.

Clubs aren't exactly tripping over themselves to offer us that big money for them I guess. Am I shocked and surprised? Well not really.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Clubs aren't exactly tripping over themselves to offer us that big money for them I guess. Am I shocked and surprised? Well not really.

They aren’t, but between them we could raise enough imo.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

I think it’s fairly well reported we need to sell by then end of the week.

It was also reported that Chelsea needed to do the same and then quickly retracted. The truth is no-one outside of the club actually knows our PSR situation. As I said yesterday, this time of year is always silly season for the media, with them having to find angles to fill column inches when no club football is being played. When it was in the chronicle or the pink 30 years ago people didn’t pay it too much heed, now it’s online with even more space to fill, people want to take every story as gospel. I don’t get the hysteria and angst over stuff which hasn’t happened yet, save that energy for after something happens maybe 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I still think we'll shift quite a few this summer, but most will be waiting until 1 July before buying. Hence why most deals being done at the moment are mutually beneficial swaps.

Spot on and the only clubs that are buying aren’t interested in Anderson, Longstaff or Allison.

1 hour ago, simonsays said:

It's just FOMO with Minteh - the idea he will succeed at a different club is a hard one to swallow.  Unfortunately it's something we will have to get used to.  

If his sale allows us to keep within PSR and fund an Olise level RW then I'll be happy.

It's exactly this.

We've never been in a position where we can sell an untested player for a large sum, and the fact that the money being touted is making people afraid that we're basically giving away the next Messi/Ronaldo/Mbappe.

If we keep him and he turns out garbage in the PL the same lot will be kicking off that we didn't cash in when we had the chance. If we keep him and he ends up awesome great...everyone's happy.

If we sell and he's great, then we haven't really missed out on something we never really had, but have a healthier financial position. If we sell and he's rubbish, it'll be the best decision since bringing Howe in.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

I think one of the most frustrating aspect of this is the sheer amount of money left on the table by the lack of low hanging sponsors we somehow didn’t sign up since the takeover. 

Aye, no excuse for this imo.

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Still think it is best to judge all of this at the end of the window.  Selling Minteh doesn't rule out selling others.

Almiron is also a proven PL player - not a great one, but proven.  Minteh is not.

Kylian Mbappe is not PL proven whereas Paul Dummett is. Surely you can't hold it against a 19-year old who has not been part of a PL squad that he isn't PL proven if you can also consider his stats on their own merit?

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

I think one of the most frustrating aspect of this is the sheer amount of money left on the table by the lack of low hanging sponsors we somehow didn’t sign up since the takeover. 

yeah i agree.

just surprised we didnt do things like get a sponsor for the east stand  and training ground - even for a season.

there must be loads of companies worldwide that deal with PIF.

just dont send any emails.

Just now, huss9 said:

yeah i agree.

just surprised we didnt do things like get a sponsor for the east stand  and training ground - even for a season.

there must be loads of companies worldwide that deal with PIF.

just dont send any emails.

This, the training ground and the slowness regarding planning for SJP in general gives me the Impression the club is a legit investment for PIF and not a sports washing program where they will lavish billions. 

Time will tell of course but it’s something to keep in mind. 

8 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

It's exactly this.

We've never been in a position where we can sell an untested player for a large sum, and the fact that the money being touted is making people afraid that we're basically giving away the next Messi/Ronaldo/Mbappe.

If we keep him and he turns out garbage in the PL the same lot will be kicking off that we didn't cash in when we had the chance. If we keep him and he ends up awesome great...everyone's happy.

If we sell and he's great, then we haven't really missed out on something we never really had, but have a healthier financial position. If we sell and he's rubbish, it'll be the best decision since bringing Howe in.

No it's not that. I'd be happy to be selling off untested players if we had spent billions on ready made superstars. It's more that we are still relying on players who aren't good enough to progress us to the next level that makes it stick in the craw.

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

No it's not that. I'd be happy to be selling off untested players if we had spent billions on ready made superstars. It's more that we are still relying on players who aren't good enough to progress us to the next level that makes it stick in the craw.

That's a decent point, but there's virtually no guarantees he'll actually be any good in the pl. We've had several players come from the Eredivise who tore it up over there and were worse than useless here.

A lot of people on here should stick their hats in the ring for the director of football role at Newcastle. They make it sound so easy to get rid of our deadwood they must have some top quality contacts in football. 

Edited by Toonjam88

31 minutes ago, TRon said:

The Olise level RW you are dreaming about is Miggy Almiron as things stand currently. What narks me is that some of us were thinking Minteh might at least provide a better option for the RW as an upgrade to Miggy.

That's why is said 'if'.  

I'm sure Minteh may be a better option than Almiron, but noone seems to want to buy any of our other fringe players and we need some FFP wriggle room, so he may have to go.  FWIW I dont thing anyone on here wants to sell him, it's out of necessity.

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

I think the particular grievance in this case is the players we’ve been linked with since, people are interpreting this as sell someone with high potential to bring in mid table players who won’t improve much and will be depth/rotation options. 

That’s an overly simplistic way of looking at it because of the way FFP works.

But even accepting that statement as true, we need to raise the floor as well as the ceiling. Last season our biggest issue was squad depth - the existence of it or quality of it. If we’re serious about competing we need a bigger pool of Premier League ready players. 

56 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Aye, no excuse for this imo.

Really don't understand if we are needing to sell why this training gear/ground sponsor wasn't rushed through, makes no sense we didn't do anything January too for that matter. Got to admit id probably take a chance on minteh til Jan at least rather than sacrifice him for a replacement. The idea he might turn out great but we lose our due to not being Chelsea and fudging it

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

How much has getting knocked out of the groups in the CL fucked us here? I never know what the accountancy periods are but is that one of the reasons we’re in trouble?

Probably a bit - we'd have had a bit more money and it would have counted in this year, but if the gaps guesstimated at by Swiss Ramble are close to accurate it's unlikely to have gone the whole way had we survived another round or two (not to even get into coefficient payments and all that). 

Maybe Tonali was ironically a bit of a gamble in that respect, hoping for a bit of further progression in the CL and the PL. 

Pure guess, but we may have been thinking of a couple of low level sales of fringe players in Jan more than CL progression as a back up, if we were likely to be at the edge or slightly over it. But then nobody could have guessed at what happened or our injury crisis either, meaning any fringe sale would become an even greater risk.

Minteh seems a talent alright and if so I'd hate not to be able to give him a chance, but so did Kuol and, without wanting to write him off already, I'd guess this was always part of the strategy too.

42 minutes ago, Toonjam88 said:

A lot of people on here should stick their hats in the ring for the director of football role at Newcastle. They make it sound so easy to get rid of our deadwood they must have some top quality contacts in football. 

Spot on. Absolutely insane how easy people make it sound.

20 minutes ago, christ said:

That’s an overly simplistic way of looking at it because of the way FFP works.

But even accepting that statement as true, we need to raise the floor as well as the ceiling. Last season our biggest issue was squad depth - the existence of it or quality of it. If we’re serious about competing we need a bigger pool of Premier League ready players. 

There's also ffp allocations for 10-15 players due next season already we need to account for. Depressing stuff to be honest and am actually ok with the players we are going for