Yankuba Minteh (now playing for Brighton & Hove Albion)

2 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Only reason this debate is still carrying on is because some are pretending like the Minteh sale was some masterstroke from the club, when it was very obviously the result of a series of blunders.

We were a Liverpool email away from selling our young England international star until a prospect who quintupled his value agreed to a transfer to save us. I've said it a several times it does not reflect poorly on your fandom/loyalty to say the club was massively negligent in their handling of PSR. This topic is so played out though the thread really should be locked. Will only get worse once real matches start.

Agree and possibly one of the reasons Staveley is away. 

18 minutes ago, joeyt said:

You were criticising us for being too shady the other day. What other loopholes could we have done? 

And you wanted us to sign more players to make a profit but also spend less money in previous windows?

You said we should buy more players to make a profit but also said the plan can't have been to sell Minteh for profit?

You say all this like it's really obvious when you're contradicting yourself all the time or like you're playing a video game

The problem with the Forest deal is the GK we got is useless and will have next to no resale value. Everyone else has bought useful and/or young players they could resell for a decent fee. Thats my only problem with the Forest deal. No other shady PSR deal has been for a 29 year old 3rd choice GK for good reason. 

Im fine with doing loads of shady deals. They just need to make more sense.  

21 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Only reason this debate is still carrying on is because some are pretending like the Minteh sale was some masterstroke from the club, when it was very obviously the result of a series of blunders.

We were a Liverpool email away from selling our young England international star until a prospect who quintupled his value agreed to a transfer to save us. I've said it a several times it does not reflect poorly on your fandom/loyalty to say the club was massively negligent in their handling of PSR. This topic is so played out though the thread really should be locked. Will only get worse once real matches start.

:clap2: this is the perfect post.  

Brighton bent us over for our best youngster. 

I’ve got 20 minutes for some more though.  

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

The whole point is we don't have a backlog of options like that because the academy has been on its knees for decades

The comparison to Real Madrid is completely pointless

Ok cool. Then our current FFP strategy is to get bent over a barrel by other clubs for our best players and youngsters. 

2 hours ago, r0cafella said:

You aren’t selling players for 35m and getting buybacks. Why pay so much and sell your upside to a distressed seller, it’s a fantasy. 

We are a distressed seller. That’s bad business.  

btw we bought Hall for close to £35m - Chelsra have a sell-on clause. 

Also I think the Luiz fee was closer to €40m. But Villa bought the 2 youngsters for a combined €12-15m or something. So they get more FFP headroom for the sale.  The cost of the youngsters are spread through amortisation and low wages and they have upside that the boys increase their value. They planned that with Juve.  They then bought Maatsen for the inflated fee but sold the academy players the other way. Same practice both ways with different clubs. 

Our sales and incoming reflect our lack of preparation / miscalculation.   

36 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Nope as we will be getting a more proven option coming in at a higher cost. Almiron I still think will be moved on and Murphy will be the replacement option for this season. If you think different that's entirely up to you. Right I'm out of here I've made my point and no more 

I take the point that Minteh is unproven to a point. However, this is the sixth transfer window under new ownership. In the previous five windows I think it's fair to say most people expected us to bring in a right winger to replace Almiron, and it never happened. It is obviously not a position that has got prioritised. Much will depend on who this proven option is, what they would cost (not just fee but also wages) and whether they will actually even come to a club not in Europe. Then there is how you define "proven". Chiesa is proven, but he's also been injury prone, appears to have lost a bit of pace and may only go one way over the next few years, whereas with Minteh obviously some highly respectable clubs that bring youth through saw the potential for him to get to the level where we want to be or they wouldn't have offered/paid the money they did.

1 hour ago, et tu brute said:

I was hoping to keep out of here, but you made a point so I will reply. You're totally correct we couldn't for that position and that's why it was a good deal for us. It means we can keep our blue chip players this year and hopefully fund a player with a higher ceiling. I don't personally think he would have been even in our squad this year and that's what we need to push on. 

If he wouldn't have been in our squad then you can understand why he was ready to move to a club where he feels he would have a better opportunity. I've read that Howe was unhappy that we were forced to sell Anderson, personally I'd be a lot more pissed that we were forced to sell Minteh specifically because he plays in the position that we are probably going to have to spend at least that much to bring someone else in. Maybe he'll be much better, I guess we won't really know until we see how this season pans out and if Minteh gets much game time at Brighton.

Taking into account the clubs curse, we should all be assuming he becomes world class. And in which case, the best I can hope for is that it's an absolute kick in the knackers for club hierarchy. 

If reports are true.  I don’t think Howe fully understands FFP or at the very least is extremely loyal to his players. Which is perhaps why some feel like they can dig in their heels.  

It’s a dickhead thing to do but I’ve heard so many stories of clubs completely isolating players for no other reason than they want them to leave. Howe wouldn’t do that to Miggy.  

It’s bad. But I would get all Miggys stuff and move it to the U16s. Don’t even get to see the first team training staff or players. YOU HAVE TO GO TO SAUDI LAD! they’ll let you go wherever your agent can find you a spot in January. You don’t even have to go to Saudi personally.  But you gotta sign that contract.  

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

If reports are true.  I don’t think Howe fully understands FFP or at the very least is extremely loyal to his players. Which is perhaps why some feel like they can dig in their heels.  

It’s a dickhead thing to do but I’ve heard so many stories of clubs completely isolating players for no other reason than they want them to leave. Howe wouldn’t do that to Miggy.  

It’s bad. But I would get all Miggys stuff and move it to the U16s. Don’t even get to see the first team training staff or players. YOU HAVE TO GO TO SAUDI LAD! they’ll let you go wherever your agent can find you a spot in January. You don’t even have to go to Saudi personally.  But you gotta sign that contract.  

Glad you don't run a football club then. What an awful and unprofessional thing to do. 

10 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Glad you don't run a football club then. What an awful and unprofessional thing to do. 

Well the way this football club has been run has resulted in us winning nothing for 55 years so it's time for a different approach.

Could see him being sold to someone like Liverpool for massive money next summer. Think this will be a self-inflicted biting us in the arse situation.

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It's pretty common tbf.

It also has ramifications beyond the particular player if you're doing it to someone who is a well liked professional for essentially no reason.

I think the professional thing to do would be to have told Miggy in January that his future was limited at Newcastle and a move would be in his best interests. If he wants to stay then there's not much we can do about it, but it does mean he must have no ambition (assuming he was told that).

Either way, the upshot of players like this staying is we have sold Minteh. I think that was a bad outcome personally, but I guess we'll see for sure next season.

24 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

Well the way this football club has been run has resulted in us winning nothing for 55 years so it's time for a different approach.

Mourinho did this to Schweinsteiger in 2016 and proceeded to win two trophies. Just saying. :bluestar:

3 hours ago, Upthemags said:

I'd like to know what alternatives you're suggesting?

People keep saying this but we don't have the youngsters Villa and Chelsea have to sell

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

It’s bad. But I would get all Miggys stuff and move it to the U16s. Don’t even get to see the first team training staff or players. YOU HAVE TO GO TO SAUDI LAD! 

I'd be surprised if there has been a more absurd suggestion on this forum

Sends out a mint signal to future signings that does. Great man management skills. I for one am delighted views like this are locked out the ground currently. 

A universally liked player being put to train with the kids because he doesn't fancy a move across the world - the players would definitely run through brick walls if you did that

30 minutes ago, TRon said:

I think the professional thing to do would be to have told Miggy in January that his future was limited at Newcastle and a move would be in his best interests. If he wants to stay then there's not much we can do about it, but it does mean he must have no ambition (assuming he was told that).

Either way, the upshot of players like this staying is we have sold Minteh. I think that was a bad outcome personally, but I guess we'll see for sure next season.

Maybe. But then again think back to January and how we were barely able to field a squad - and it seems now we were in no position to bring in a replacement.

As for Minteh, yes agreed we'd have liked to see him get a chance here. Really promising signs, but the jury is out till we see how he does in the PL. Wish him all the best personally.

But I would get all Miggys stuff and move it to the U16s. Don’t even get to see the first team training staff or players. YOU HAVE TO GO TO SAUDI LAD! they’ll let you go wherever your agent can find you a spot in January. You don’t even have to go to Saudi personally.  But you gotta sign that contract.  

That would make me less likely to move, not more likely. And massively so.

I'd not be helping out any club that treat me like that, I'd just run my contract down and leave for nothing as a "fuck you" to them.

The most astonishing thing to me is I never realised before now the amount of people who make up scenarios in their heads then decide they must be correct.

Five minutes later they are being presented on the forum as obvious!

I promise you, the world does not revolve or rely on your fantasies. Odds are you are utterly wrong in your conclusions.

Think people forget footballers are actually people with families and lives when discussing transfers :lol:

You can't just force someone to go to Saudi Arabia if they don't want to.