Yankuba Minteh: Brighton agree deal worth £33m (Ornstein)

The sooner people accept that deals for players like Minteh, Harrison, Kuol etc are just as much about grabbing assets we think we can flip for FFP purposes as they are getting future NUFC players the better. We’ll be doing a lot of this over the next few years, especially with the way we’ve been aggressively hoovering up young talent to pad out the youth teams. Don’t get attached.

5 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

You’d presume selling minteh will mean we can spend up to 60 million in a right forward this summer? I don’t like it one bit but the club must be forced. 

If we need to sell Minteh before the June deadline due to PSR, and we won’t have Europe football next season, why would people got their hopes up that we could spend big on someone this summer? We are already in the PSR red zone.

You would hope we have a reasonable buy back/ sell on clause. In that case it’s probably a good solution to tick a few boxes. Young player gets game time in the league, helps PSR and we get either a % of future sale or the option to bring him back.

Have to say if I were Minteh I’d be unimpressed with us and generally it’s farcical that we have to act this way. 

11 minutes ago, christ said:

The sooner people accept that deals for players like Minteh, Harrison, Kuol etc are just as much about grabbing assets we think we can flip for FFP purposes as they are getting future NUFC players the better. We’ll be doing a lot of this over the next few years, especially with the way we’ve been aggressively hoovering up young talent to pad out the youth teams. Don’t get attached.

Yep.  Chelsea still do this despite their income advantage.  This is all perfectly normal.  

13 minutes ago, christ said:

Don’t get attached.

Find it wild how many people are pinned on Minteh, when he’s not played one single minute. 

Teams move players on who don’t play a minute all the time, Brighton with Gyokeres, Man City with Porto and Liverpool with Ayomini to remember a few. Just part of modern day FFP. 

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep.  Chelsea still do this despite their income advantage.  This is all perfectly normal.  

Chelsea have essentially created a second business with Livramento having around a 30% or something stupid selling fee and then hoovering up talent to loan out or sell. 

9 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

You would hope we have a reasonable buy back/ sell on clause. In that case it’s probably a good solution to tick a few boxes. Young player gets game time in the league, helps PSR and we get either a % of future sale or the option to bring him back.

Have to say if I were Minteh I’d be unimpressed with us and generally it’s farcical that we have to act this way. 

We bought him from a Danish club and gave him incredible exposure on loan at Feyenoord.

He's going to end up on probably ten times the salary he was on when we picked him up.

I doubt he's unimpressed. I'm sure he understands the process.

1 minute ago, Sibierski said:

Find it wild how many people are pinned on Minteh, when he’s not played one single minute. 

Teams move players on who don’t play a minute all the time, Brighton with Gyokeres, Man City with Porto and Liverpool with Ayomini to remember a few. Just part of modern day FFP. 

Coz it will sting having him on our books and he ends up brilliant. 

Just now, gdm said:

I wonder how Chelsea feel having had the likes of Salah, KdB, Olise and Musiala on the books :lol:

Difficult to fathom.

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

If we get to where we'd like to get, there will be a lot of that over the next few years.  Too many seem to be thinking as they did when Ashley ran the club.  

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I wonder how Chelsea feel having had the likes of Salah, KdB, Olise and Musiala on the books :lol:

Difficult to fathom.

I'm willing to bet that England's most successful club of this century found a way to deal with it ...

Just now, gdm said:

All the big clubs sell on players like this - everyone on here wants us to be one of them so this is how the game needs to be played, better and smarter money men than us are crunching numbers and doing what has to be done so I trust them.

If say he were to make it then people will remember the negative side only “if only we had kept him then…”. If that day comes it would be an eye opener if one of Newcastles Accountants could finish that sentence for us to hear.

At best he's torn it up in Eridivisie. He could end up being great, he could be a flop. Where he's played doesn't really give any indication of what the outcome will be vs other leagues.

Shame we haven't seen him get a chance but if Howe doesn't fancy him for whatever reason and we can make a profit to get someone in that he does fancy, sobeit. He and the club will live and die by these decisions.

Going on like this is a Salah, KDB situation isn't really based on anything. 

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Difficult to fathom.

The fact we had Toney and he’s turned out alright (betting ban aside) still stings me :lol:

19 minutes ago, Zero said:

If we need to sell Minteh before the June deadline due to PSR, and we won’t have Europe football next season, why would people got their hopes up that we could spend big on someone this summer? We are already in the PSR red zone.

It's all needlessly complicated because football is shit now but on a very basic level...

The entire transfer fee we get for Minteh counts as incoming funds for PSR this year, while whatever we spend on a replacement is divided by five and split over the next five years (assuming we sign the guy to a five year contract)

So if we sell Minteh for 30m and sign somebody else for 60m, that counts as 30m incoming on transfer fees and 12m outgoing.

Obviously it's adding an extra 12m to our outgoings in the next four seasons too but that's a problem from our future accounting team.

10 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

If we get to where we'd like to get, there will be a lot of that over the next few years.  Too many seem to be thinking as they did when Ashley ran the club.  

God this condescending attitude is tiresome as fuck. We know we need to sell to progress. Everyone on here gets it. It’s not some complex idea you and a few others have figured out. Doesn’t mean we have to be happy with selling an exciting prospect. I just hope he goes outwith the premier league 

Edited by gdm

4 minutes ago, gdm said:

God this condescending attitude is tiresome as fuck. We know we need to sell to progress. Everyone on here gets it. It’s not some complex idea you and a few others have figured out. Doesn’t mean we have to be happy with selling an exciting prospect. I just hope he goes outwith the premier league 

Fair enough.  Wasn’t trying to be condescending, but see that I might have been.

I would say that I know it isn’t a complex idea.  It seems pretty obvious to me. 

31 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I'm willing to bet that England's most successful club of this century found a way to deal with it ...

It's more the point that it's a completely alien concept to us, one that we'll have to get used to if we're to navigate PSR.

58 minutes ago, christ said:

I think the particular grievance in this case is the players we’ve been linked with since, people are interpreting this as sell someone with high potential to bring in mid table players who won’t improve much and will be depth/rotation options. 

Think with Minteh you put a 2 year buy back option - then assess after this period - if hasn’t kicked on then move on - put a sell on fee and job done 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I think the particular grievance in this case is the players we’ve been linked with since, people are interpreting this as sell someone with high potential to bring in mid table players who won’t improve much and will be depth/rotation options. 

Very much this. If selling minteh allows us to bring in real top class winger I’ll suck it up. If it’s done to bring in DCL i just can’t get excited about it 

It's just FOMO with Minteh - the idea he will succeed at a different club is a hard one to swallow.  Unfortunately it's something we will have to get used to.  

If his sale allows us to keep within PSR and fund an Olise level RW then I'll be happy.

players who were worldies in dutch leagues but done naff all here .. we’ve had a couple before 😂

be good to see him get a chance though, he’s young and Eddie might be the right bloke to bring him through