Yankuba Minteh

1 minute ago, TRon said:

They obviously have much more far reaching vision than me, because from here it just looks like we are selling because other clubs rate him, and they don't rate the likes of Longstaff, Miggy or Murphy.

Maybe this is part of a long term success strategy, but in the short term it just feels like we can't sell players who aren't good enough and are forced to sell better prospects instead.

That could well be it we don’t know - maybe they did say a while ago, maybe when take over went through that we need to get on board with this young talent, buy low sell high and it is part of a plan - you don’t scrap it as soon as the first sellable decent asset comes along as that’s the whole point. 

2 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

That could well be it we don’t know - maybe they did say a while ago, maybe when take over went through that we need to get on board with this young talent, buy low sell high and it is part of a plan - you don’t scrap it as soon as the first sellable decent asset comes along as that’s the whole point. 

Yes I get that, I remember Darren Eales saying just that, we might have to sell a Bruno or an Isak to grow the club. He was making a point, and I agree with it in principle, we have to take cold hard decisions because of FFP. I just don't feel we've lived up to that, I was expecting us to be more ruthless when it came to selling 34 year old full backs when we had the chance, or "persuading" Miggy Almiron that this isn't a retirement home.

Right now it doesn't feel like that at all, seems we might have to wait until the lesser suited players run down their contracts - and hopefully don't get new ones so they can join the coaching staff or some shit, and we can keep players who are obviously rated outside the club.

Just now, Upthemags said:

You just know the lad's gonna be a world beater once we sell him

Guaranteed. Biggest laugh would be if Boehly’s mob come in for him. Would show the broken husk of the Premier League in its purest form.

1 minute ago, Nucasol said:

Guaranteed. Biggest laugh would be if Boehly’s mob come in for him. Would show the broken husk of the Premier League in its purest form.

Yup - its that kind of blatant inequity that makes me think just hang on to him and take the deduction if you can't offload someone else by next accounting period... These other clubs are playing dirty, and have no qualms about it. We need to be more ruthless in our maneuvering

2 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Yup - its that kind of blatant inequity that makes me think just hang on to him and take the deduction if you can't offload someone else by next accounting period... These other clubs are playing dirty, and have no qualms about it. We need to be more ruthless in our maneuvering

Say for conversation sake we take the points deduction then miss out on Europe with just them few points like we did this year, what side of the conversation will you take when it comes up that we’re gonna struggle to keep isak and/or Bruno as it’s two seasons running we’re not made Europe? 

That conversation “just take the points deduction” is easy on here but could have very real consequences.

Just now, Gawalls said:

Say for conversation sake we take the points deduction then miss out on Europe with just them few points like we did this year, what side of the conversation will you take when it comes up that we’re gonna struggle to keep isak and/or Bruno as it’s two seasons running we’re not made Europe? 

That conversation “just take the points deduction” is easy on here but could have very real consequences.

its a fair shout I'm not pretending there wouldn't be potentially massive consequences... Seems a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation

Just now, Upthemags said:

its a fair shout I'm not pretending there wouldn't be potentially massive consequences... Seems a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation

Get that as well but I’m genuinely in the camp of not damned if we do as I’ll remember we had to (omelette and eggs) and you can’t miss what you never had.

3 hours ago, Upthemags said:

You just know the lad's gonna be a world beater once we sell him

That's why I half jokingly suggested cashing in on Tonali. What's really interesting about Minteh would be just watching how good he can become, it's the great unknown with players that young who show promise, it allows us to dream that maybe we have found a world class player. Watching him become something special with someone else would be very depressing.

It's annoying because the absolute ideal scenario would be signing a first choice RW and then Minteh spending a couple of years as second choice with Almiron moving on.

With his pace, you figure he'd at least he very useful off the bench while we give him time to see if he can turn into a first choice player.

If we do sell him I'd love to see us bring in Cozier-Duberry on a free to basically fill that role for us, would certainly soften the blow of losing one of the few genuinely exciting young attacking players we've had on our books in recent times before he's even kicked a ball.

Lyon apparently willing to meet the 40m asking price.

Something about this just doesn’t feel right, like we’re being done here..

Surely there’s someone else we can move on before end of June that will solve PSR issues.. this lad needs a chance here.

5 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Lyon apparently willing to meet the 40m asking price.

Something about this just doesn’t feel right, like we’re being done here..

Surely there’s someone else we can move on before end of June that will solve PSR issues.. this lad needs a chance here.

A French team, that’s not PSG, stumping up  40 mill for a lad that’s had a (very) promising half season in the Eredivisie seems incredibly unlikely to me. 

£20m plus add-ons would on paper seem what someone of his profile should cost. If we were being linked with him from Feyenoord for anything more than that, I'd be thinking huge gamble. 

Anything more than that, and it's easy to see why we're considering it. 

11 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

40m euros seems a helluva lot of money.

I like the idea of Minteh to Everton for 20M and paying 20M for DCL (who I do rate). Minteh with a 25M buy back clause so the end result would be a 25M transaction after seeing how the lad plays in the PL or a break even.

That whole report was probably bullshit but it would make sense.

From The Mail’s (spit) DCL article:

Everton have been in talks with Newcastle over a £35m deal for Calvert-Lewin and have offered around £30m for Newcastle winger Yankuba Minteh.

Brighton have also discussed an offer for Minteh, however, French side Lyon are understood to be willing to pay Newcastle's asking price of closer to £40m.

5 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

For 40m it's a no brainer evidently, providing it allows us to get one or two genuinely quality additions in (DCL, Trafford and Kilman don't strike me as signings that will allow us to reach the next level).

Agree, I repeat what I said the other day, none of the other clubs who finished in the top 8, would go anywhere near the three you mentioned. I'm waiting until the end of the transfer window though. I would be very surprised if we were actually required to sell a player before the 30th for a start.