Emre

Guest Gosport Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Incredibly insightful comment !

So anybody playing "out of position" doesn't have to do the basics of tracking back ????????????? Bullshit

As a central midfielder he should be used to doing that anyway, especially an experienced international.

You'd expect it of good standard schoolkids and Sunday morning footballers so why not players on £60k pw playing in front of debutants ????

That response answers the thread tbh

He did track back, but he tracked back to the center of the defense like he does when he plays at CM because he's not a winger.

This is proving to be very educational for me.

After all these years I never realised that wingers don't have to track back as far as CM's.

I mistakenly thought that all the midfielders had to track back at least as far as the opposing midfielder /winger they were playing against. And that they should do whatever defensive work is necessary to try to reduce the chances of the opposition scoring.

Maybe Emre has been coached by you and understands that he only has to track back a certain distance, this would explain why he leaves his opponent to have a 2v1 against a rookie full back.Now I understand, I deserve a ban for not being aware of this particular UEFA Pro Badge coaching point.

However, this may also explain why Roeder is teaching him this as he doesn't yet have that coaching qualification ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ever thought about coaching for Newcastle United, son?

After all these years I never realised that wingers don't have to track back as far as CM's.

I mistakenly thought that all the midfielders had to track back at least as far as the opposing midfielder /winger they were playing against. And that they should do whatever defensive work is necessary to try to reduce the chances of the opposition scoring.

Maybe Emre has been coached by you and understands that he only has to track back a certain distance, this would explain why he leaves his opponent to have a 2v1 against a rookie full back.Now I understand, I deserve a ban for not being aware of this particular UEFA Pro Badge coaching point.

However, this may also explain why Roeder is teaching him this as he doesn't yet have that coaching qualification ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Christ are you a moron? I said he tracks back to the center of defense not the center circle. Ejit.

Guest Gosport Toon

So anybody playing "out of position" doesn't have to do the basics of tracking back ????????????? Bullshit

As a central midfielder he should be used to doing that anyway, especially an experienced international.

You'd expect it of good standard schoolkids and Sunday morning footballers so why not players on £60k pw playing in front of debutants ????

He did track back, but he tracked back to the center of the defense like he does when he plays at CM because he's not a winger.

I'm sure I've seen that question somewhere before Dad !

I'm sure I've seen that question somewhere before Dad !

laugh.gif

Guest Gosport Toon

Christ are you a moron? I said he tracks back to the center of defense not the center circle. Ejit.

Exactly where is the centre of defence that he tracks back to ? How far back does it go ? Why do other players e.g Drogba (a striker) do defensive duties back almost to their own goal line when wingers only have to come so far back ??

And when his opposing player runs beyond this mythical, mysterious centre of defence world is that the end of his defensive duties for the team ? By the way does use of the term moron warrant you a ban too ?  :cool:

Exactly where is the centre of defence that he tracks back to ? How far back does it go ? Why do other players e.g Drogba (a striker) do defensive duties back almost to their own goal line when wingers only have to come so far back ??

And when his opposing player runs beyond this mythical, mysterious centre of defence world is that the end of his defensive duties for the team ? By the way does use of the term moron warrant you a ban too ?  :cool:

He goes as far back as needs must until it reaches the defence who should deal with it. He was playing as a winger which means he should track back along the wing and pull in if needs must. But for the majority of the game he was pulling in diagonally leaving loads of room out on the left and for a 2 on 1 situation against Huntington. If you had started a thread asking if he knows how to track back effectivly I would of agreed with you, as he doesn't.  But he does track back*.

And if being banned means I don't have to put up with people like you who think being offensive means their opinion is more right than someone elses, then ban away....

*More so than alot of our players seeing as he gets up feild more than most (Parker).

Guest Gosport Toon

He goes as far back as needs must until it reaches the defence who should deal with it. He was playing as a winger which means he should track back along the wing and pull in if needs must. But for the majority of the game he was pulling in diagonally leaving loads of room out on the left and for a 2 on 1 situation against Huntington. If you had started a thread asking if he knows how to track back effectivly I would of agreed with you, as he doesn't.  But he does track back*.

And if being banned means I don't have to put up with people like you who think being offensive means their opinion is more right than someone elses, then ban away....

*More so than alot of our players seeing as he gets up feild more than most (Parker).

My whole point is that he does not go back as far as he needs to, he goes back as far as he wants to when it suits him. I've seen one or two games when he has been willing to do some great defensive running but also seen far too many games when he can't be arsed.

I'm sorry if I offended you as I'm quite a laid back guy who just wanted to make a point, it was only when you abused me that I responded in an equally childish manner  :lol: Are we even now  ??????????

Guest nufc1984

Emre is magnificant, He has improved two fold from last season. He is a great little runner, he can run in and about players and because he is a quick thinker he doesn't actually have to be physically fast. His crossing and free-kicks are inconsistant, but when he delivers a good ball or a free-kick they are top notch. Fans change their opinions every week on players for silly reasons, so i see this poll as pretty pointless, maybe he'll have an off day against everton and this poll will reverse to everyone hating him, it's ridiculous,I am as happy with Emre now as i knew i would be! Very!

Emre and Dyer (when he plays there) are our only midfielders willing to pick the ball up in crowded positions, run at defenders and make things happen. Without either player in midfield I sometimes feel that we build up our attacks way too slowly, we fail to create any kind of confusion in the opposition defence.

Sure he loses the ball sometimes, but the value of players like this can't be underestimated. Gerrard (I'm not saying Emre is as good as Gerrard) sometimes loses the ball at Liverpool but his ability to burst forward from midfield creates confusion in defence, central defenders have to deal with him which creates space for the strikers. You have a 3 on 2 situation sometimes where the midfielder breaks free to support his strikers and the two central defenders are frantically trying to close the gaps. The last midfielder we had who did this was Bowyer - just a shame he had so many other flaws in his game.

This season I get the impression Emre is improving with every game. He had a tough time on the left wing but then that clearly isn't his position. We always knew he was an attacking midfielder, what Roeder was trying to do with him defending and Parker attacking, I don't know. Since he's played alongside Butt he has been much a much better player because he's been allowed to do what he does best, which is to take the ball forwards and to take the game to the opposition.

For me, when fit, he has to start. He could do with chipping in with more goals and assists but, like Dyer, I believe his contribution to the team goes beyond stats such as goals and assists. As a team we are much more dangerous when those two play. People used to criticise Dyer heavily for his lack of goals yet ignored the fact we were winning games with him and struggling without him. Surely that is the most important stat of all.

Emre and Dyer (when he plays there) are our only midfielders willing to pick the ball up in crowded positions, run at defenders and make things happen. Without either player in midfield I sometimes feel that we build up our attacks way too slowly, we fail to create any kind of confusion in the opposition defence.

Sure he loses the ball sometimes, but the value of players like this can't be underestimated. Gerrard (I'm not saying Emre is as good as Gerrard) sometimes loses the ball at Liverpool but his ability to burst forward from midfield creates confusion in defence, central defenders have to deal with him which creates space for the strikers. You have a 3 on 2 situation sometimes where the midfielder breaks free to support his strikers and the two central defenders are frantically trying to close the gaps.

This season I get the impression Emre is improving with every game. He had a tough time on the left wing but then that clearly isn't his position. We always knew he was an attacking midfielder, what Roeder was trying to do with him defending and Parker attacking, I don't know. Since he's played alongside Butt he has been much a much better player because he's been allowed to do what he does best, which is to take the ball forwards and to take the game to the opposition.

For me, when fit, he has to start. He could do with chipping in with more goals and assists but, like Dyer, I believe his contribution to the team goes beyond stats such as goals and assists. As a team we are much more dangerous when those two play. People used to criticise Dyer heavily for his lack of goals yet ignored the fact we were winning games with him and struggling without him. Surely that is the most important stat of all.

:thup: totally agree

Sure he loses the ball sometimes, but the value of players like this can't be underestimated. Gerrard (I'm not saying Emre is as good as Gerrard) sometimes loses the ball at Liverpool but his ability to burst forward from midfield creates confusion in defence, central defenders have to deal with him which creates space for the strikers. You have a 3 on 2 situation sometimes where the midfielder breaks free to support his strikers and the two central defenders are frantically trying to close the gaps.

Seconded, exactly my thoughts on the centre of midfield... bar that Parker still does a better job than Butt in a defensive midfield roll.

Seconded, exactly my thoughts on the centre of midfield... bar that Parker still does a better job than Butt in a defensive midfield roll.

Andy

In what way does Parker do a better defensive midfield job than Butt?

Guest Knightrider

Not directed at me but I share Andy's view, so here's my opinion:

Parker is a better tackler, has more energy and drive to seek out the ball/player to tackle and is brilliant at pressing play, he is also less of a liability in the needless fouling/rash challenges sense and is tactically more switched on than Butt. He's just a better all-round player in my opinion hence I'd pick him ahead of Butt whose only asset over Parker is his experience and positional discipline, really.

(and I rated Butt when we signed him)

Also Parker scores more and creates more than Butt, albeit in small doses.

Parker is a better tackler, has more energy and drive to seek out the ball/player to tackle and is brilliant at pressing play, he is also less of a liability in the needless fouling/rash challenges sense and is tactically more switched on than Butt. He's just a better all-round player in my opinion hence I'd pick him ahead of Butt whose only asset over Parker is his experience and positional discipline, really.

:thup:

The problem with Parker is that his manager can't seem to make his mind up what to do with him. I supported picking Parker as captain but with hindsight it has been a mistake. It hasn't brought the best out of him, on the contrary. He's been running around like a headless chicken at times, the all-action hero trying to cover every blade of grass. This has left gaps in our midfield.

Creatively Emre is the better player but when they play together Emre is sitting deeper trying to play a disciplined game while Parker gets forward and tries to create. It's ridiculous. I remember Roeder saying something a while back about Parker getting forward with Emre sitting back and I couldn't believe it. It's a total misuse of both players' skills and they both look worse for it.

Butt has come in and Emre has been playing a lot better. This isn't because Butt is good or because Parker is poor, it's simply that Emre has been given the creative freedom he should always have had, while Butt has enjoyed playing his own defensive game. Butt as we all know is a DM and this has forced Roeder to play Emre a bit further upfield. Someone mentioned in another thread that Roeder has been successful when decisions have been forced on him and this is another example of that.

Emre shouldn't be anchoring the midfield while Parker goes wandering - that's mad. As soon as Butt came in we had a DM doing the defensive work and an AM doing the attacking work, and guess what - we look much more balanced.

I actually believe all of that post is as incorrect as a post can be. So we'll have to agree to disagree.

No doubt that great football mind that is booboo is somehow interpreting that I'm calling you thick.  :cool:

Gotta be Butt and Emre with Dyer playing off the front man. That's when we look the most dynamic.

Aye. Butt is a proper DM, Emre is a proper creative, attacking midfielder. Parker has the ability to do neither, but for some reason it seems that instead of putting the team first a number of people want to select Parker because they want him to have the ability. There is really no evidence he can do either role better than Butt or Emre, quite the opposite really.