Emre

Guest Gosport Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Parker is a better footballer than Butt. However, Butt and Emre have been getting us results, and that's the most important thing.

With our current injuries I would consider Parker in one of the full back positions as he has the engine and tackling to cope defensively and would give much more offensively than someone like Edgar. Against Bolton would it not have been more sensible to pair Emre and Butt and play Parker at right back instead of Edgar?

Guest Knightrider

Parker is a better footballer than Butt. However, Butt and Emre have been getting us results, and that's the most important thing.

With our current injuries I would consider Parker in one of the full back positions as he has the engine and tackling to cope defensively and would give much more offensively than someone like Edgar.

Agreed on the first and not a bad shout on the second.

With our current injuries I would consider Parker in one of the full back positions as he has the engine and tackling to cope defensively and would give much more offensively than someone like Edgar.

The biggest problem with the Parker and Emre partnership is down to the management rather than the players, they either try and share the role or we have the more creative player sitting in the holding role. If Parker was instructed to play as the holding player and thats it then it would maybe be a little more productive. That said Emre and Butt deserve to keep their places. Parker at RB is an interesting idea.

I would always start Parker ahead of Butt. He does just as good a job defensively as Butt in my opinion. There's no doubting the Butt-Emre partnership has worked well, but then we have improved immensely as a team over the last few weeks.

Butt deserves much of his plaudits, but people are getting a bit carried away I think. He still makes a couple of mistakes here and there and Parker is overall a better footballer. Agree with Gejon, if Parker was told to sit and hold his partnership with Emre would work, but it seems as if Roeder plays Emre-Parker as two CMs rather than one AM and one DM.

Emre's contribution has been more than satisfactory this season imo. He's the only one apart from Dyer who's willing to run at people and create things. And he's been the engine of the team this season rather than Butt or Parker. He looks as if he's finally settling in now, it would be a blunder to drop him. The question is how to accomodate Parker alongside him, it has to be Parker. If his role in the side could be made clear, I think the Emre-Parker partnership could be a very decent one.

I remember lots of people posting similar stuff about what Jenas COULD do, blah blah blah.

When it comes to the crunch, it's ok to WANT to see someone do something in a certain role, but that doesn't mean the player has the ability no matter how much you all may want him to.

Good to see a few people at least putting the team first. A refreshing change, tbh.

BTW For those who think using Parker at RB....

Q. Is it because you just want to fit him in somewhere because he's Parker? For example, would you all select him ahead of Solano, who has looked so good at RB recently?

I would prefer Parker and Emre.

To me it would be very interesting to see how they work together now that we have some speed up top and on the wings. Emre's improvement is in part due to the presence of Martins imo.

As far as I can tell we have not yet  seen Emre, Parker, Dyer, Duff, and Martins together on the pitch. (Arsenal away featured all but Emre.)

Would love to see

Milner/Dyer - Parker - Emre - Duff

Martins- Dyer/Siberski

All would benefit.

Emre and Dyer (when he plays there) are our only midfielders willing to pick the ball up in crowded positions, run at defenders and make things happen. 

N'Zogbia?

Think by willing he meant "willing and able".

Dont like to be harsh on Zog, but hes been awful thus far. Practically every time hes gone on a run hes run straight into players and lost the ball, completely different to last season.

Aye, Ive been a bit disappointed with the Zog so far this season. Did very well towards the end of last season, that goal at the stadim of shite was brilliant.

But this season its as if he hits an invisible wall everytime he tries to run at people. Unfortunate he's injured, but once he returns I hope he's sorted himself out in more ways than one.

I would prefer Parker and Emre.

To me it would be very interesting to see how they work together now that we have some speed up top and on the wings. Emre's improvement is in part due to the presence of Martins imo.

As far as I can tell we have not yet  seen Emre, Parker, Dyer, Duff, and Martins together on the pitch. (Arsenal away featured all but Emre.)

Would love to see

Milner/Dyer - Parker - Emre - Duff

Martins- Dyer/Siberski

All would benefit.

Butt and Emre have looked pretty good in 4-4-2 every time they've been paired. Are you saying you'd not bother with that just to see if Parker and Emre would improve because there are certain other players in the team around them? Is that what you're saying? You'd be prepared to sacrifice valuable points to do this, possibly pushing us back down the table if we lose a 4 or 5 on the spin?

wtf is this fascination with Parker?

In terms of who is the better DM, I'd go with Parker over Butt. The only prioblem is if Parker plays, then our world class manager insists that he should be the AM and play Emre as the anchor of our midfield which screws up both of their games. Yes parker scores some goals but his overall contribution as an AM is poor, more often than not he slows down our attack and has almost nil ability to dribble past players whis crucial for an AM.

Its testimony of Roeder's stupidity that even Souness got the balance right between Parker and Emre (i.e playing parker as the DM). Until Roeder realizes his folly, I'll go with Butt and Emre. But Parker is the captain, so technically he should play if he is fit which means either Butt will be dropped and we will have the ineffective Emre (as DM) and Parker (as AM) partnership or if he plays all three, then we will se more of Emre being shoved to the wing. The sad part is we will then get 'fans' getting on Emre's back for not tracking back when played as a winger. 

There is no doubt in my mind that it is Roeder and his insistence to play parker as AM which is the source of the imbalance in our midfield.

Q. Is it because you just want to fit him in somewhere because he's Parker? For example, would you all select him ahead of Solano, who has looked so good at RB recently?

Not at all. I said in our current injury situation (ie with Solano unavailable) I would try Parker at right back and leave Butt-Emre in central midfield.

I think we can all agree that, when fit, Solano is a must at right back because he has been in fantastic form lately.

But the situation being as it is, putting Parker there seems more sensible than Edgar IMO. I think Parker actually has all the qualities to do a good job at right back, certainly a much better job than an inexperienced academy centre-back.

In terms of who is the better DM, I'd go with Parker over Butt. The only prioblem is if Parker plays, then our world class manager insists that he should be the AM and play Emre as the anchor of our midfield which screws up both of their games. Yes parker scores some goals but his overall contribution as an AM is poor, more often than not he slows down our attack and has almost nil ability to dribble past players whis crucial for an AM.

Its testimony of Roeder's stupidity that even Souness got the balance right between Parker and Emre (i.e playing parker as the DM). Until Roeder realizes his folly, I'll go with Butt and Emre. But Parker is the captain, so technically he should play if he is fit which means either Butt will be dropped and we will have the ineffective Emre (as DM) and Parker (as AM) partnership or if he plays all three, then we will se more of Emre being shoved to the wing. The sad part is we will then get 'fans' getting on Emre's back for not tracking back when played as a winger.

There is no doubt in my mind that it is Roeder and his insistence to play parker as AM which is the source of the imbalance in our midfield.

:thup: blueyes.gif exactly my thoughts..

Sorry for not seeing your question sooner HTL mate, but I agree with the sentiments of HTT, ohmelads, etc. and I haven't got the time to do you a proper reply. Would love to debate it properly with you at some juncture, though I reckon we're never going to agree.

Quickly, my main gripes with Butt are his lack of pace, his inability in the tackle and the amount of times he "attempts" to win the ball and gets nowhere near it - not to mention his atrocious passing (I might even do a Grimbo and count the misplaced passes), his silence/lack of presence on the pitch and his antics in the past.

If Parker was told to play the role Butt plays by Roeder, then I'm almost sure he would prove me right. As others have said: he is in limbo at the minute and doesn't really have a set role, although he has scored a good share of goals in this "new" role he's been given, which has surprised me no end as I thought his finishing was pap.

As for favouritism, I thought Parker was a right cunt for what he did to the East Stand and I'm staunchly against Cockneys (sorry Jon :winking:), I also think he looks like he has some sort of mental disorder and when he speaks he has the intensity of an apple and I usually turn over the channel/stop listening.

I certainly don't jizz over him like some tend to, I tend to think the majority of our players are wankers.

Not at all. I said in our current injury situation (ie with Solano unavailable) I would try Parker at right back and leave Butt-Emre in central midfield.

I think we can all agree that, when fit, Solano is a must at right back because he has been in fantastic form lately.

But the situation being as it is, putting Parker there seems more sensible than Edgar IMO. I think Parker actually has all the qualities to do a good job at right back, certainly a much better job than an inexperienced academy centre-back.

Fair enough, although when I mentioned "all" I was hoping some of the Parker fans might chip in, although most of them still seem to think he should be in the centre of midfield and it doesn't really matter who else is in there with him.

Sorry for not seeing your question sooner HTL mate, but I agree with the sentiments of HTT, ohmelads, etc. and I haven't got the time to do you a proper reply. Would love to debate it properly with you at some juncture, though I reckon we're never going to agree.

Quickly, my main gripes with Butt are his lack of pace, his inability in the tackle and the amount of times he "attempts" to win the ball and gets nowhere near it - not to mention his atrocious passing (I might even do a Grimbo and count the misplaced passes), his silence/lack of presence on the pitch and his antics in the past.

If Parker was told to play the role Butt plays by Roeder, then I'm almost sure he would prove me right. As others have said: he is in limbo at the minute and doesn't really have a set role, although he has scored a good share of goals in this "new" role he's been given, which has surprised me no end as I thought his finishing was pap.

As for favouritism, I thought Parker was a right c*** for what he did to the East Stand and I'm staunchly against Cockneys (sorry Jon :winking:), I also think he looks like he has some sort of mental disorder and when he speaks he has the intensity of an apple and I usually turn over the channel/stop listening.

I certainly don't jizz over him like some tend to, I tend to think the majority of our players are wankers.

You see, this is where I differ from the Parker fans. It's these " if's and but's " type of thing as people look for excuses for his shite performances and how unbalanced the team becomes with him in it. I don't assume he'll do a job in the anchor role just because Roeder may tell him to do it. He doesn't have the ability and it does take a certain and special ability to play that role properly.

• 1 year later...

With all the recent improvements and optimsm, I couldn't help but begin to wonder how Emre would fit into all of this. If only this wretched fellow could just maintain some semblance of fitness!

I think he would really work a treat in our current formation. I think with the three quality forwards we have upfront at the moment and with the style of play and the confidence Keegan would instill in him, Emre would really thrive.

I love what Geremi has been doing lately, but imagine a fit and firing Emre in the midfield three with Butt and Barton? Emre could play on the left of the three and Barton on the right. I think it could be superb.

He's probably blown his chance though as i can't see him getting into the team now and the season is almost up. It really is a shame he hasn't been able to stay fit since Keegan has been here. He's still young enough and talented enough to have become a good player for us.

It really is criminal though. Got so much of the ability we could really use in our team. ould have saved us a hell of a lot of money this summer.

You just have to wonder if he is excited about what he has seen going on around him lately and whether he will make more of an effort to get back into the team and sort out his fitness.

Emre has to be gotten rid of in the summer providing we can find an able replacement. He's a good player, but far far too injury prone and that's something which isn't going to change.