Sandro Tonali: given suspended two-month ban by FA (Official)

The Prophet

8 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

That’s not the point he was making.

Wasn't it?  i thought his point was that, despite 50 million quid being at stake, Tonali had no moral obligation to disclose that he was a gambling addict and liable to be banned, because "employers don't care about any employee" so why should he care about us.

I think that's much too generous to Tonali, and that comparing a 50 million transfer with a regular working stiff's employment situation is a false analogy.

3 hours ago, Gawalls said:

I get you - back in the 90’s I had an addiction to e’s, couldn’t go out without them and was dropping around 8 a night.  Took me years to realise I had to move away from Newcastle to beat it as I lost my job and everything. Moved to London and got a call centre job to start out with (I was a programmer) and started my career and life again - cutting everyone out, now I’m a lead Devops Engineer so got my career back and naturally that’s beat although I do now have Epilipsy but that’s my own fault. None of that would have happened if I stayed in Newcastle.

Is the epilepsy due to addiction with the E's ?  Glad you're doing better mate, it's a shame you had to leave home to do it but so happy you've found a good place.

Edited by Bimpy474

Just now, Bimpy474 said:

Is the epilepsy due to addiction with the E's ?  Glad you're doing better mate, it's a shame you had to leave home to do it but so happy you've found a good place.

Nobody knows - had two neurologists, one thinks it is and one doesn’t. I personally think it is as I had my first seizure ever at the age of 36, around 5 years after my last pill.

I made a lot of good friends in London and met my wife there so it’s not all good ☺️

It's actually shocking how a ban can be put in place but the details are not clear. NUFC should know exactly where they and Tonali stand with how much he can participate in i.e training and attending matches. 

14 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

Still can’t get over how badly Milan played us with this one 

They'll be getting worried about turning up here, in the coming weeks.

I bet the hierarchy give a fantastic welcome, and there'll be some behind the scenes discussions.

1 hour ago, NufcJ said:

It's actually shocking how a ban can be put in place but the details are not clear. NUFC should know exactly where they and Tonali stand with how much he can participate in i.e training and attending matches. 

Much like our membership/ticket ballot.

Newcastle United are set to ‘launch an internal investigation’ into the £55m deal to sign Sandro Tonali from AC Milan.

It is believed club chiefs want answers as to how the recruitment team failed to discover Tonali’s betting problem. Newcastle sporting director Dan Ashworth and head of recruitment Steve Nickson are now both under fire for the signing – which cost the club a reported £55million in the summer window.

The Magpies now face the huge cost of picking up Tonali’s wages during his ban. Sources say the midfielder earns £140,000-a-week, meaning Newcastle will have to pay out around £5.6million during his period of unavailability.

Newcastle are now keen to replace the Italy international as they prepare to potentially fight on four fronts simultaneously this season. Football Insider revealed on Sunday (29 October) that Man City midfielder Kalvin Phillips could join the club on loan in the January transfer window.

It is believed the Magpies will be restricted to loan signings only in the mid-season window due to Financial Fair Play constraints.

1 minute ago, FCB said:

Newcastle United are set to ‘launch an internal investigation’ into the £55m deal to sign Sandro Tonali from AC Milan.

It is believed club chiefs want answers as to how the recruitment team failed to discover Tonali’s betting problem. Newcastle sporting director Dan Ashworth and head of recruitment Steve Nickson are now both under fire for the signing – which cost the club a reported £55million in the summer window.

The Magpies now face the huge cost of picking up Tonali’s wages during his ban. Sources say the midfielder earns £140,000-a-week, meaning Newcastle will have to pay out around £5.6million during his period of unavailability.

Newcastle are now keen to replace the Italy international as they prepare to potentially fight on four fronts simultaneously this season. Football Insider revealed on Sunday (29 October) that Man City midfielder Kalvin Phillips could join the club on loan in the January transfer window.

It is believed the Magpies will be restricted to loan signings only in the mid-season window due to Financial Fair Play constraints.

Internal or external, heads will roll for this. Internal I reckon Nickson picks up the blame, they won't oust their golden boy Ashworth.

1 minute ago, Superior Acuña said:

How was anyone expected to know? And why do people think AC knew? (not been following every page soz)

That's the thing, I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to get tipped off on an Italian investigation. I'm fine with a review to see what could have or should have been done in this case to build processes going forward. That said, fuck a witch hunt looking for a scapegoat unless there was a serious failing in the processes the club has in place when investigating a prospective signing. Live and learn.

Edited by McDog

29 minutes ago, khay said:

No one should get fired like. The guy was hiding an illegal gambling addiction. Sandro should be on statutory pay until he can play again. 

Aye. Surely the only person at fault here is Tonali…..

Then again that isn’t how a multi billion pound investment fund will see it no doubt.

It seems perverse that he would be entitled to be paid in full while being banned from playing due to his own illegal conduct.

Assuming that he is legally entitled to collect his full wage, if he has any moral compass he would nonetheless volunteer to give up a big chunk of it -- not less than half -- to the club. and also devote some of his remaining pay and time to appropriate charity or community work. 

And the club should look hard at pursuing a lawsuit or arbitration claim against Milan, as I'm sure they're already doing.

Football is very ‘insidery’.  Tonali was acting like a ringleader - so there would have been people in the dressing rooms he was in who knew.  He managed to get others involved - so there would likely be others who he approached who didn’t.

There is a good chance AC Milan were aware - either from internal whispers or outright knowledge.  Someone claiming to be his psychologist came out and said he’d been diagnosed with a gambling addiction.  So the chances are the club knew.  Making that stick is likely impossible.

Scouting is about character as well as xG wank.  We don’t know whether what Tonali was up to was discoverable or not - most on here appear to have made up their mind that it was ‘impossible’ to know.  

PS At present this really doesn’t look good for Ashworth or his scouts.  That’s a significant amount of outlay for a club with strict limitations on outlay.  The owners are likely pissing blood about it - they pay people to make these calls.  Those people aren’t on minimum wage - I wouldn’t be too worried about them.