Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

15 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

His pay will be cut allowing us to find a replacement in January but limited FFP funds will be wasted covering a position we already covered. He deserves a big pay cut. I'm not buying this gambling addiction excuse. He could have gambled on plenty of other things. 

Literally not allowed to. Max we can do is fine him six weeks wages I think. He could agree to a pay cut of course.

32 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

His pay will be cut allowing us to find a replacement in January but limited FFP funds will be wasted covering a position we already covered. He deserves a big pay cut. I'm not buying this gambling addiction excuse. He could have gambled on plenty of other things. 

Terminate him imo 

3 hours ago, midds said:

You can only play the hand you're dealt and unfortunately we've ended up being the ones who are on the shitty end of it. End of the day Tonali putting bets on have led to this and pointing fingers at Milan and the Italian FA are pretty pointless, understandable anger obviously, but they're just following through the process that Tonali had already started. If he'd kept his nose clean then none of this would have happened. That said I hope he uses his time away from games to get himself straight and ready to deliver in August '24. He needs and deserves support as our player now and he also needs to take his punishment on the chin, it's a pretty big deal. Fuck it, draw a line under it, move on and learn from it for the future

I recon they had a whiff of the betting but waited until he was sold before investigating.

2 hours ago, rebelrouser said:

I'm not buying this gambling addiction excuse. He could have gambled on plenty of other things. 

I've thought about this a lot, and I actually think it's the opposite.

He's been so desperate for an edge, he's been willing to gamble on his own team, presumably using inside information like knowing when players are fit etc despite knowing the consequences of this are massively greater than being found to have stuck £10 on the 3:30 at Goodwood. That's not the actions of a casual gambler, that's the actions of an addict or a desperate man.

IMO, at least.

2 hours ago, rebelrouser said:

I'm not buying this gambling addiction excuse. He could have gambled on plenty of other things. 

Do you not think that gambling on something that you know could potentially get you on massive trouble, when however much you win is likely to be financially insignificant to you, is actually a clear indication of addiction?

55 minutes ago, SteV said:

Do you not think that gambling on something that you know could potentially get you on massive trouble, when however much you win is likely to be financially insignificant to you, is actually a clear indication of addiction?

Or stupidity.  Or misplaced confidence that no one would ever find out.

50 minutes ago, GideonShandy said:

Or stupidity.  Or misplaced confidence that no one would ever find out.

I suspect this. I don't buy the addiction story myself, just PR. Only sympathy I have for Tonali is that betting on football is probably rife in the game and he's one of the few to be found guilty. 

2 hours ago, macphisto said:

I suspect this. I don't buy the addiction story myself, just PR. Only sympathy I have for Tonali is that betting on football is probably rife in the game and he's one of the few to be found guilty. 

I mentioned that earlier. It's not so much I don't buy it, just I wouldn't be surprised.

I don't know where I saw this, but one explanation was that he started betting on his own team, and then developed a superstition that if he didn't bet on them, they wouldn't win.

He doesn't strike me as a typical gambler, but the superstitious type, yes. There's a bit of the air of an anxious introvert about him.

Anyway, we've faced much worse than this.

7 hours ago, Chris_R said:

I've thought about this a lot, and I actually think it's the opposite.

He's been so desperate for an edge, he's been willing to gamble on his own team, presumably using inside information like knowing when players are fit etc despite knowing the consequences of this are massively greater than being found to have stuck £10 on the 3:30 at Goodwood. That's not the actions of a casual gambler, that's the actions of an addict or a desperate man.

IMO, at least.

Yeah, if he wanted to make money he could have done it easily on the card markets. Placing 'legitimate' bets despite the risks indicates an addiction.

I'm not sure where the "if he was an addict he would be betting on the horses instead" comments are coming from like, that's a mental take :lol:

11 hours ago, midds said:

You can only play the hand you're dealt and unfortunately we've ended up being the ones who are on the shitty end of it. End of the day Tonali putting bets on have led to this and pointing fingers at Milan and the Italian FA are pretty pointless, understandable anger obviously, but they're just following through the process that Tonali had already started. If he'd kept his nose clean then none of this would have happened. That said I hope he uses his time away from games to get himself straight and ready to deliver in August '24. He needs and deserves support as our player now and he also needs to take his punishment on the chin, it's a pretty big deal. Fuck it, draw a line under it, move on and learn from it for the future

Well summed up. It’s a disaster really but at least it’s in an area of the pitch where we have a bit more depth. Not much we can do now but support him and strengthen the team as best we can in Jan.

8 hours ago, SteV said:

An addiction possibly, but maybe not to gambling?

Next chapter in this story is Sandro Tonali getting caught having a danger wank in the referee's dressing room.

16 hours ago, GideonShandy said:

Even if you knew that the prospective new employer was paying a non-refundable £50 million to your old employer for your services?  And you knew that you had created circumstances that might very soon render you unable to provide those services?  And are you saying you "would" have kept it to yourself (even though it was wrong) or that it was actually morally OK not to let on?

If you or I change jobs and don't tell the new employer about, say, an addiction issue, then when it comes to light and the new employer finds out, the employer can just sack us and hire a replacement.  He's not all that much worse off.  But here you've got the issue of the £50 million, which changes the whole moral calculus.

No such thing as loyalty , know guys who have given their all for 40+ yrs to a company and get royally shafted by them , employers don't care about any employee, so works both ways