Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

Sandro Tonali has been banned from competitive football for ten months, as effective from Friday 27th October 2023, following illegal betting charges by the Italian Football Federation (FIGC).

FIGC's sanction includes an overall 18-month ban, with eight months commuted as the player participates in a therapeutic plan and educational programme in Italy consisting of 16 commitments.

On the evening of Friday 27th October, Newcastle United received confirmation that FIFA has endorsed FIGC's sanction to be applied worldwide, meaning Sandro will be eligible to return to competitive football from Tuesday 27th August 2024.

Statement up on .co.uk now

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/sandro-tonali-ban-confirmed/

Edited by Smal

Not sure the first two were realistic due to wages. But it is quite annoying seeing Szobslai, Maddison and then Nmecha on Wednesday all playing so well. When we have Tonali who understandably has struggled to settle and is now missing for a season. 

With it "only" being a ban from competitive football, you'd think we'll keep him ticking over well enough as we'll probably go to Saudi in January during the break and play a couple of games, same in February where there's usually a gap if we're out of the cup, and again do something during the March international break, then it's end of season and a normal pre-season.

Be interesting to see how Toney comes back but Tonali shouldn't be a million miles away from being able to come straight back in all guns blazing if he's still training.

Edited by Kilcline

I'm quite critical as I believe you should take personal responsibility for your own actions, but after watching my nephews parents lose them through alcoholism, and battling low level gambling addiction myself (never admitted that before, trying my best now to beat it).

I'm taking the sympathic line as well, until you have an addiction it's too easy to pile on, as much as a dick Paul Merson is, he's spot on with this. 

Yes, we are responsible at first, and Sandro should never have placed the first bets as footballers know the rules, but once those gambling hooks are in, it's so hard to get released from them.

Everyone is different and we all have weakness, but we all need as much carrott as we do stick. All I can really relate from my own experience is, if the help is there, take it. Don’t miss the opportunity to get yourself out of the mess you're in, and heal. And it is healing, especially for those around you, who you've hurt without realising it to some extents.

Edited by Bimpy474

57 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

I can't believe that his old clubs weren't aware of his gambling and that an investigation was underway. I like Toonali but feel let down by him and the way he has deceived our club

When did the investigation  begin ?

There is now absolutely 0 excuse for him in regards to learning the system, being tactically spot on, finding a niche in terms of positional awareness and that and what is expected of him in our patterns of play. He should be getting settled into the area, improving his English and be fit as a fiddle. He will be playing in training versus some elite players and it seems like he can play in friendlies. 

Szobo always wanted Liverpool from all reports. He was obsessed with Klopp and there’s no way he was coming here. Maddison has done brilliantly, he also was in this type of form before the World Cup and fell off dramatically too, struggling to stay fit. Who knows what happens for him rest of this season. 

To be honest I am not questioning the decision to purchase Tonali as I have seen enough from him to think he's the potential to be awesome.  Look we are where we are - it's how we move forward now. And for me key to that is whether we're paying his full wages as that is going to be crucial in us being able to get in a replacement (albeit on loan) and it not affecting our transfer plans for other areas of the squad.  You would hope if he is truly remorseful he wouldn't accept his full wages. 

1 hour ago, Bimpy474 said:

I'm quite critical as I believe you should take personal responsibility for your own actions, but after watching my nephews parents lose them through alcoholism, and battling low level gambling addiction myself (never admitted that before, trying my best now to beat it).

I'm taking the sympathic line as well, until you have an addiction it's too easy to pile on, as much as a dick Paul Merson is, he's spot on with this. 

Yes, we are responsible at first, and Sandro should never have placed the first bets as footballers know the rules, but once those gambling hooks are in, it's so hard to get released from them.

Everyone is different and we all have weakness, but we all need as much carrott as we do stick. All I can really relate from my own experience is, if the help is there, take it. Don’t miss the opportunity to get yourself out of the mess you're in, and heal. And it is healing, especially for those around you, who you've hurt without realising it to some extents.

I get you - back in the 90’s I had an addiction to e’s, couldn’t go out without them and was dropping around 8 a night.  Took me years to realise I had to move away from Newcastle to beat it as I lost my job and everything. Moved to London and got a call centre job to start out with (I was a programmer) and started my career and life again - cutting everyone out, now I’m a lead Devops Engineer so got my career back and naturally that’s beat although I do now have Epilipsy but that’s my own fault. None of that would have happened if I stayed in Newcastle.

Edited by Gawalls

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

Surely we could have got Kephren Thuram for 50 million, hindsight and all that, but this looks the worse business in the club’s history at this point when taking into account the fee.

It only looks the worse business in the clubs history because we’re now buying the most expensive players in the clubs history, there’s bigger risks involved.

1 hour ago, Gawalls said:

It only looks the worse business in the clubs history because we’re now buying the most expensive players in the clubs history, there’s bigger risks involved.

Bigger risk for what? Gambling bans are certainly not everyday-life. Thank God for that. 

I'm not disappointed in him, people make mistakes but now he has a chance to make amends and I WILL be disappointed if I don't see him around the club, supporting the team etc.

If he starts spending all of his time in Italy, I'll be more than miffed. Now is the time to work extra hard and make damn sure you are settled etc.

I see absolutely no reason why he can't be at all of our home games, supporting the lads, as a bare minimum.

Don’t think he has to be there every single game but his absolute number one priorities need to be sorting himself out and paying back a debt to the club that can’t be put into words / monetary terms. It starts now with his attitude day to day and it hopefully ends with him producing the best football of his life after his ban and his commitment to us being 100% every day on and off the pitch 

I don't know what his post football intentions are but if it were me, I'd use the opportunity to do my coaching badges and perhaps even take a training session or two with the u21s. Take his mind off the ban. He doesn't need to have a 4 hour day at the training ground. Ask to be part of the planning etc, who better to learn from than Howe.

3 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Surely we could have got Kephren Thuram for 50 million, hindsight and all that, but this looks the worse business in the club’s history at this point when taking into account the fee.

Mental take. It's annoying to have him out for a year but he's looked decent and he's young. A year training with Eddie and he's going to be immense. 

6 hours ago, wyn davies said:

No such thing as loyalty , know guys who have given their all for 40+ yrs to a company and get royally shafted by them , employers don't care about any employee, so works both ways

Not convinced that Mr. Tonali has been "royally shafted" by either AC Milan or Newcastle United. Or that his current employer (us) doesn't care about him.

4 minutes ago, GideonShandy said:

Not convinced that Mr. Tonali has been "royally shafted" by either AC Milan or Newcastle United. Or that his current employer (us) doesn't care about him.

That’s not the point he was making.