Sandro Tonali: confirmed as being available for selection from 28.08

The Prophet

10 hours ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

He actually said he'd beat me up in real life. Which is probably correct as I'm soft as shit.

There's a blocking massacre going on.  I'm not worried for me, I'll be all right, but if there does have to be a cull, then so be it. I mean, that's just natural selection, in the wild some people wouldn't survive.

I don't see any harm in people speculating with the information available at the time. Having ideas and discussing opinions is healthy. As information becomes available, it really isn't healthy though to turn around and say 'hah, you were wrong' or 'see, i was right', when without that information no-one could be the wiser, it's just luck, at best educated luck.

So in this instance, we now know he's had next to no training for a month which to me at least makes a lot of sense when analyzing his performances.

Without that information, though, there's a relatively safe assumption to be made that the lad is training with the rest of the squad and for some reason wasn't following the tactical instructions - whether that's fitness, a language barrier, or just too much information (Gordon spoke of this when he came here). 

But I don't get the smugness some people get from calling out people who discuss possibilities like this after the fact when the real reasons are made available.

Edited by HawK

55 minutes ago, HawK said:

I don't see any harm in people speculating with the information available at the time. Having ideas and discussing opinions is healthy. As information becomes available, it really isn't healthy though to turn around and say 'hah, you were wrong' or 'see, i was right', when without that information no-one could be the wiser, it's just luck, at best educated luck.

So in this instance, we now know he's had next to no training for a month which to me at least makes a lot of sense when analyzing his performances.

Without that information, though, there's a relatively safe assumption to be made that the lad is training with the rest of the squad and for some reason wasn't following the tactical instructions - whether that's fitness, a language barrier, or just too much information (Gordon spoke of this when he came here). 

But I don't get the smugness some people get from calling out people who discuss possibilities like this after the fact when the real reasons are made available.

Just as I thought 

Yup, when you factor in all of the moving to a new country stuff on top of little training, it makes a lot of sense. Potential is vast with this lad but it's not like the Bruce days where players could train a couple of times a week if they felt like it. Howe's system, tactics and instructions rely hugely on intensive and near-constant training ground work.

Makes it surprising how much he has played, with some other players (such as Bruno, Gordon and Barnes) Howe is brought them into the first team much more gradually, starting from the bench at first, Bruno made five appearances from the bench before his first start. Maybe that's down to Willock and Joelinton's injuries but he has been starting ahead of Anderson, who had a great pre-season. It' doesn't seem to be Howe's way to throw someone in at the deep end if he doesn't think they're ready.

8 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Makes it surprising how much he has played, with some other players (such as Bruno, Gordon and Barnes) Howe is brought them into the first team much more gradually, starting from the bench at first, Bruno made five appearances from the bench before his first start. Maybe that's down to Willock and Joelinton's injuries but he has been starting ahead of Anderson, who had a great pre-season. It' doesn't seem to be Howe's way to throw someone in at the deep end if he doesn't think they're ready.

I don't think he'd have started so much had Longstaff been fit and I also don't think he has enough trust in Anderson yet.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye it backs up the eye test. He doesn't look like he knows what to do himself. And he's seemingly focusing on that and unable to sync with his teammates.

Lots of work for him and Howe to do.

He's our only new signing that has gone straight in to the side. He's not at all had the time to get up to speed with our intensity and style of play just from a general time at the club stand point, let alone international breaks & injuries. Compounding that is the lack of fitness at the beginning of the year for Longstaff because of his pre season injury, and the injury form last year to Willock. And Joe has been struggling with injury/fitness. We'd normally have more options to start, more experienced players within the side, more options from the bench, or for shape. The only alternative to Tonali until recently was Anderson. 

We and he will get there, Ive no doubt. His quality is there to see and I like the club's decision to reinforce the midfield with that break up and passing ability. We're looking to be able to control games more, keep the ball more, and build from further back, not just a high intense press. We need strings to our bow and that wont come in one month. 

4 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Nothing wrong with the insight, but people really should expect a little ribbing if they continually quote themselves and call their own posts elite. I mean, hell, who calls any post elite, let alone their own?

Agreed - I'm happy to read insight, but without the "I love the smell of my own farts" vibes to them, where possible.