Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

2 hours ago, JLC said:

Park View is class these days

Not many Estate Agents have a decent bar on the premises. 

"I'm after a 3 bed flat, 2 Moretti and a Prosecco please" 

Also, took the mother in law to an opticians near North Parade (?) and they offered us a laminated sheet giving a choice of complementary drinks. It was 11am.

Woman said all we could choose was the non alcoholic stuff, teas and coffees etc etc. The list of beers was for after 1pm ?

He wears glasses, doesn't he? 

59 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I lived there for years tbf, you have to admit the town centre's rank :lol:

Well I live there now and disagree! You'll struggle to find a street in a town of this size that have as many great independent businesses as Park View does. The main centre around Whitley Road is ropey but even so it's not dead. It's just a rough town centre that poor people happen to live near. It has shops and businesses that I use every single day (including a great cinema!). I probably wouldn't say the same if I lived near Tynemouth High St, as lovely as it is for a day/night out.

Honestly town centres are struggling all over the country, even in some of the wealthiest areas. Gosforth High St is pottered with empty units at the moment. Not just the economic situation of running small businesses but the extinction of high street uses entirely leaving marquee buildings unused (see all high st banks closing branches). Most places just probably have too many retail/business uses these days as there's only so many coffee shops you can open. The southern end of Whitley Road is obviously the worst bit of the town at the moment (although it's actually finally seeing some life over last 12 months) but I just don't know if the place is big enough to support what is effectively two high streets.

Whitley is absolutely cracking now, anyone sayings it’s a dump is living in the past; development going on all over the place as well. Give it a couple more years and even south parade/esplanade might get cleaned up. 

I went to Whitley Bay and all those places for the first time last year. Absolutely love it there. Went back when I was over in May. Would be surprised if Sandro doesn't like it there tbh. Maybe people from the area are.. used to it? I dunno.

I left Whitley when I was 18 and returned in December last year as a 36-year old. Whitley Bay is absolutely class now. Was a proper decaying seaside town all through my youth, known only for being a shitty stag do / hen do spot on South Parade. Now, the beaches are amazing, the dome is class, there are some really good restaurants and as mentioned, Park View is one of the nicest high streets going outside of some of the really rich areas around the country. Delighted to be back 

Tonali, Tonali he came from It-aly... 

Na na na nana nana na na

Na na na nana nana na na

Cool as Ice, cost half of Rice and he's twice the man...

Tonali

1 hour ago, HawK said:

Na na na nana nana na na

Na na na nana nana na na

Cool as Ice, cost half of Rice and he's twice the man...

Tonali

Homes Under The Hammer theme tune right?

4 hours ago, gbandit said:

I left Whitley when I was 18 and returned in December last year as a 36-year old. Whitley Bay is absolutely class now. Was a proper decaying seaside town all through my youth, known only for being a shitty stag do / hen do spot on South Parade. Now, the beaches are amazing, the dome is class, there are some really good restaurants and as mentioned, Park View is one of the nicest high streets going outside of some of the really rich areas around the country. Delighted to be back 

Preach brother! 

I'm sitting outside having Italian coffee and lunch in probably the ropiest bit of the town right now, with one of the roughest pubs opposite. It's changing all the time. Personally I love that it's not too gentrified (yet). 

(this is the cafe btw - definitely worth a visit if you haven't been in yet)

Edited by ponsaelius

+1 for the Whitley Massive. I grew up there and it's come along a hell of a lot in even the last 10-12 years. It's a great place to be - loads of nice bars and restaurants springing up all over the place, sea front cleaned up, dome refurbished, shopping centre. When you visit seaside towns elsewhere in the UK there are plenty of utter shitholes that are nowhere near as nice.

31 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Preach brother! 

I'm sitting outside having Italian coffee and lunch in probably the ropiest bit of the town right now, with one of the roughest pubs opposite. It's changing all the time. Personally I love that it's not too gentrified (yet). 

(this is the cafe btw - definitely worth a visit if you haven't been in yet)

I'm old enough to remember Sylvester's at the bottom of that street.

Whitley on a BH Monday used to be wild.

Edited by Sima

I grew up in Whitley late 70s / 80s. I believe there may have been some sort of toxic leak into the water that made the kids growing up there at that time dafter than gazza's bog brush.

14 minutes ago, TRon said:

Whitley Bay is considered upmarket now, property prices in some parts reflect it as a place people want to be.

There's a three bed mid terrace, no garden, recently renovated to a decent spec, just off roughest bit of the high street that has gone on the market last week. On for £375k. Would genuinely have cost half that 5 years ago. It's gone absolutely nuts. I feel for locals who can no longer afford to rent/buy here just as it's turning a corner.

Definitely feel like we've de-railed the thread. In other news Tonali's lass was in Leazes Park today - wonder what she thinks of flattening it for a new stadium.

4 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

Well I live there now and disagree! You'll struggle to find a street in a town of this size that have as many great independent businesses as Park View does. The main centre around Whitley Road is ropey but even so it's not dead. It's just a rough town centre that poor people happen to live near. It has shops and businesses that I use every single day (including a great cinema!). I probably wouldn't say the same if I lived near Tynemouth High St, as lovely as it is for a day/night out.

Honestly town centres are struggling all over the country, even in some of the wealthiest areas. Gosforth High St is pottered with empty units at the moment. Not just the economic situation of running small businesses but the extinction of high street uses entirely leaving marquee buildings unused (see all high st banks closing branches). Most places just probably have too many retail/business uses these days as there's only so many coffee shops you can open. The southern end of Whitley Road is obviously the worst bit of the town at the moment (although it's actually finally seeing some life over last 12 months) but I just don't know if the place is big enough to support what is effectively two high streets.

I largely agree in general like, but I only moved away recently and was on Percy Road near the b&bs that brought trouble with them that made WB pretty unique in that respect. Walking around there and around where B&Ms is was always dodgy. I had a couple of run ins, my dog was attacked and my lass completely avoided Esplanade. On the day I moved in someone burned down the church in the street along from me. :lol: I also once helped this bloke back from Hardy's Newsagents to his flat that brought me to tears by how squalid his living conditions were like, it was absolutely tragic.

Agree that everywhere else has scrubbed up nicely though.

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

There's a three bed mid terrace, no garden, recently renovated to a decent spec, just off roughest bit of the high street that has gone on the market last week. On for £375k. Would genuinely have cost half that 5 years ago. It's gone absolutely nuts. I feel for locals who can no longer afford to rent/buy here just as it's turning a corner.

Definitely feel like we've de-railed the thread. In other news Tonali's lass was in Leazes Park today - wonder what she thinks of flattening it for a new stadium.

Heard her telling her mam

"fuck this park. Build a stadium but they must use the old font" 

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I largely agree in general like, but I only moved away recently and was on Percy Road near the b&bs that brought trouble with them that made WB pretty unique in that respect. Walking around there and around where B&Ms is was always dodgy. I had a couple of run ins, my dog was attacked and my lass completely avoided Esplanade. On the day I moved in someone burned down the church in the street along from me. :lol: I also once helped this bloke back from Hardy's Newsagents to his flat that brought me to tears by how squalid his living conditions were like, it was absolutely tragic.

Agree that everywhere else has scrubbed up nicely though.

Aye that's fair enough - Esplanade is still very ropey. And the junction between B&M, South Parade and the stretch of Whitley Road is the worst bit of the town centre for sure. But even there is finally starting to see some positive changes (see my posts above). The council are supposed to be doing a regeneration plan for the town centre this year so you've got to hope they focus on that area as the other side of town doesn't really need any more help. I don't know what can be done but improving public realm, making it a nicer pedestrian crossing and maybe grants for shop fronts would be a start to instigate change.